Default limit hike / shorten chain

would this be an adjustment for when the track rubbers up a bit in the feature and you get a little push on exit ? What is the ratio of Hike vs rear steer and what is more prevalent at the exit of corners? With our slick tire ( rules)... traction thru hike and drive seems to out weigh roll steer on the LR of our 3 link mods... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by north louisiana dirt View Post
    would this be an adjustment for when the track rubbers up a bit in the feature and you get a little push on exit ? What is the ratio of Hike vs rear steer and what is more prevalent at the exit of corners? With our slick tire ( rules)... traction thru hike and drive seems to out weigh roll steer on the LR of our 3 link mods... thanks
    You have to look at steer vs hike. It could loosen one car and tighten the next one.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

It loosens the car dramatically, i moved it 1/4" on the chain, and wow. As others have said, some cars may be impacted more or less etc... So i think it may be worth a try, 1/8" at a time.

Like you said, traction seems to be generated more via hike, than rear steer can loosen. I know there would be a point of no return, like everything else, bell curve etc, but i have noticed the same thing.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    It loosens the car dramatically, i moved it 1/4" on the chain, and wow. As others have said, some cars may be impacted more or less etc... So i think it may be worth a try, 1/8" at a time.

Like you said, traction seems to be generated more via hike, than rear steer can loosen. I know there would be a point of no return, like everything else, bell curve etc, but i have noticed the same thing.
    It comes down to hike vs steer. If your last 1/4" of hike results in 3/4" of steer, that last 1/4" is probably loosening your car.

That steer change is also going to depend on the location of imaginary point your rear is aligned with, compared to the imaginary point your front end is driving towards.

As long as the rear is driving left of the front ends center of rotation, you should still feel tight.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 11-04-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Yep, I just record my droop number, and benched marked it. Now keep in mind my limiter is all the way inboard, next to the Bell, so that is going affect things as well, but i shortened to 1/4" less on accident actually. I use the Wehrs limiter with the pull pin.

Anyway, the results we're interesting, so i just remembered that. Keep in mind i travel the LR spring a lot, 4.75" from ride. So i have a lot of hike, seems like it was the only way to get our chassis to make traction. Since then thou, i am back on a bump step up with a preloaded light-ish spring.

But i get what your saying, there is a point when your gonna cross the line and get a undesired effect, or side effect counter what you want it to do, just knowing where that is thou, could be valuable.

Disclaimer, we dont travel a lot, same track. I am sure each track has its own number.

Just say no...

not sure if you subscribe or not, but Don Adams from Lightning Chassis just did a segment on RaceKnowHow on LR chain adjustments.