Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Millbridge having big midget race in December

It makes sense, no Gateway nothing else till the Chili Bowl, plus a great way to get racers to move up out of the Mini's and Micros.

You make a very good point, slideitin. The Chili Bowl appears to be the only thing going on after the USAC season concludes out west the night before Thanksgiving. No Turkey Night GP or dome race leaves the door open for what could be a great event.

I looked at the track website and it's doesn't distinguish as to whether or not this event is going to be contested by full on midgets or if it will be a division consisting of crate engine midgets. Don't get me wrong, I'm not degrading the crate midgets in any way, they put on a very good show. Just curious.

I wonder if this event will be on Floracing or be offered as a stand alone internet PPV show.
    Last edited by CIRF; 11-09-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Knowing it's Millbridge, I would lean more toward Speed51 than Flo, also knowing the relationship they have built with KKM I would assume full blown Midgets.

Quote Originally Posted by slideiton View Post
    Knowing it's Millbridge, I would lean more toward Speed51 than Flo, also knowing the relationship they have built with KKM I would assume full blown Midgets.
    What does the relationship the speedway has with Keith and Pete consist of? I wasn't aware of any of this but then again I'm not all that much in the know. I really hope you're correct on your hunch that the show will be full blown midgets. Hopefully all the guys that don't go to Australia & New Zealand will be there. Maybe even Larson, Bell, Rico, Chase Briscoe will be there in addition to most of the USAC regulars. Nothing else going on so it would be a good tune-up for the big show in January!!

Speed51 would be fine. Just having an opportunity to watch is all one can ask for.

The last race at Millbridge was the KKM Giveback Classic, a 600 non-wing Micro show, with the winner getting pretty sizeable payday, or the Chance to run a KKM midget at the Chili Bowl.

Big question .. Will Chili Bowl have fans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    As of now 25% capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    As i like racing said, at this point they are saying 25%. If things keep on like they are with coronavirus spiking just about everywhere that could change. It will be interesting to see if Emmett and his family run it without fans at all if Tulsa shuts things down completely. If I was to bet I'd wager they'll run it without fans but that's just a hunch with no basis in fact.

If things stay as they are with 25% spectator capacity I'm sure The Chili Bowl will have all 5 prelim nights plus the alphabet soup up until the first Saturday night C main on some sort of internet PPV as it has been the past several years. I believe the Saturday night C main's, B main's and A main finale' will be on MavTV as they have been the past 2 or 3 years. The Chili Bowl has been the highest rated live event on MavTV since they started broadcasting it.
    Last edited by CIRF; 11-10-2020 at 07:43 AM.

The last race at Millbridge was the KKM Giveback Classic, a 600 non-wing Micro show, with the winner getting pretty sizeable payday, or the Chance to run a KKM midget at the Chili Bowl.
    I'd heard about the big micro show but I'm still interested in how Keith & Pete got involved with Millbridge Speedway. That seems like an unlikely alliance since Keith & Pete are based in Indiana and Millbridge is stock car country.

Ashly and Jeremy are very well connected in the racing world so not so far fetched. They are from the midwest and Ashly's brother is Nick Hoffman (late model and modified racer, very good as well). They have spent a lot of time and effort to get Millbridge going and it has paid off, Congrats to them!

Quote Originally Posted by i like racing View Post
    As of now 25% capacity.
    That’s sad. I guess the online streaming will be huge

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Ashly and Jeremy are very well connected in the racing world so not so far fetched. They are from the midwest and Ashly's brother is Nick Hoffman (late model and modified racer, very good as well). They have spent a lot of time and effort to get Millbridge going and it has paid off, Congrats to them!
    I echo you congrats, Evel. Good race tracks managed by good track owners and promoters are a combination that is obviously good for all of dirt racing.

Thanks for the clarification on the people involved and the Midwestern connection. Good quality dirt open wheel racing in stock car country is always a good thing and if Keith & Pete have anything to do with it you can be certain the quality will be there.

In contrast, just west of the Illinois/Indiana state line top level (USAC National Midgets & Sprint Cars) dirt open wheel racing is nearly non-existent. Just east of the Ill./Ind. line top level dirt open wheel racing is rampant and wildly popular. Same goes for DLM racing in Indiana as compared to Illinois. Hard to figure. That analogy to North Carolina is why it's a bit surprising that KKM is so heavily involved with a track in the Carolina's, which as we all know, is a stock car hotbed.

I moved here from the midwest in the early 1990's, open wheel racing was virtually non-existent here (I was driving a 360 sprint car briefly before moving, went back to the late models for that reason). It has taken along time (even the modifieds struggled for years before finally being accepted) for it to start to take hold, and truthfully a lot of it has to do with transplants taking their kids to Millbridge. Bliss, Noffsinger, Staap and others with open wheel backgrounds that found their way to NASCAR are always there.

Default Just A Couple Weeks

Several Superstars in the racing industry will be in making their appearance on Dec. 12th & 13th at Millbridge in a 2 day event to get geared up for the 2021 Chili Bowl. 2020 NASCAR Champion Chase Elliott is on the confirmed driver list as well as Chase Briscoe and Kyle Larson. Bring those midgets out and get a shake down before heading to Tulsa in January. Or get out of the house and come watch some great racing action.

The event will take place at Millbridge Speedway, a 1/6-mile oval in Salisbury, North Carolina which has become the state’s premier destination for Outlaw Kart racing. Following the successful TRD Micro Showdown in 2019, Millbrdge added Micro Sprints to its weekly program in 2020, building towards the TRD Keith Kunz Motorsports Giveback Classic in November.

That event drew more than 100 entries, giving the facility a wave of momentum towards its first Midget event in December. Both Saturday and Sunday will feature full shows, with Saturday’s main event paying $2,500 to win and Sunday’s feature offering $5,000.

Each night of racing will feature qualifying and heat races, utilizing passing points to set the field for qualifiers as well as B and C Mains as necessary. This will all build towards the night’s feature race.

Entrants will be announced in the coming days on Millbridge Speedway’s social media platforms, but one big name has already been announced adding another jolt of energy to the event. NASCAR Cup Series Champion Chase Elliott is making his Midget debut this winter, competing in the DiaEdge Carolina Midget Showdown before heading to Tulsa for the Chili Bowl Nationals.

While Elliott is looking for seat time in a Midget before the crown jewel event in January, many Midget drivers could see the Carolina Midget Showdown as a chance to tune up at a tight bullring similar to the one constructed each year at the River Spirit Expo Center.

The Midgets will not be the only racers in action during the DiaEdge Carolina Midget Showdown. Both evenings of racing will also feature the Beginner Box Stock and Box Stock Outlaw Karts.

The entry-level divisions for Millbridge’s weekly competition, the Box Stock and Beginner Box Stock classes feature young racers getting their first on-track experience. Many of the drivers who competed in Millbridge’s Micro Sprints and Open Outlaw Karts for wins and championships in 2020 started out in the Box Stock classes earlier in their careers.

Fans unable to attend the DiaEdge Carolina Midget Showdown will be able to watch all of the action on Speed51.TV. Click here for more information about the weekend’s broadcasts.

Does anyone know if Speed51 is going to offer the Millbridge midget race ala cart or will we need to subscribe for a month to get it? The monthly subscription price is $9.99 which is very reasonable and I've been told that the quality of Speed51 is pretty good.

From Speed 51's site https://www.speed51.tv/live/videos/l...ge-dec-12-2020
    Watch the inaugural Carolina Midget Showdown at Millbridge Speedway with a monthly/yearly Speed51.TV subscription OR by purchasing a single-event pass. Event passes must be purchased on a web browser prior to watching on your favorite apps.

Millbridge posting some entries as we get closer along with Briscoe, Elliot, and Larson add in Carson Kvapil making the step up from the Outlaw Karts and Micros, Ryan Timms, CJ Leary, Daum, and Ethan Mitchell.

Millbridge posting some entries as we get closer along with Briscoe, Elliot, and Larson add in Carson Kvapil making the step up from the Outlaw Karts and Micros, Ryan Timms, CJ Leary, Daum, and Ethan Mitchell.
    Thanks for the update.

From Speed 51's site https://www.speed51.tv/live/videos/l...ge-dec-12-2020
    Watch the inaugural Carolina Midget Showdown at Millbridge Speedway with a monthly/yearly Speed51.TV subscription OR by purchasing a single-event pass. Event passes must be purchased on a web browser prior to watching on your favorite apps.
    Thanks a ton, slideiton!

I've been hoping to see that Christopher Bell will be driving a midget in this 2 night event. Even without Bell this is shaping up to be a fun event! Leary, Daum and Mitchell will be exciting additions. Maybe Larson and Keith Kunz can entice Rico to come east for this deal, too.