Thread: E85

Default E85

For those of you that run e85 do you buy it from the pump or through a racing fuel distributor. Those that get it from the pump do you have any issues with excessive water content ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    For those of you that run e85 do you buy it from the pump or through a racing fuel distributor. Those that get it from the pump do you have any issues with excessive water content ?
    we run it and buy primarily from the pump. we supplement with a barrel of e98 to make sure on ethanol content. we see a range of 70-80% through the season.

we have not had issues with water content or any corrosion issues at all. we also do not store it for any length of time if possible not sure if that matters or not.

I buy from a local station that refills weekly. It's a blender pump station. I always use the same pump. It's always right at 70 percent. I bought a gallon for testing at another station down the road and it was 60 percent two months ago and just the other day it was 50 percent.
    I don't have issues storing it in tightly sealed fuel containers in the Chem Cabinet of my shop. It's cheap enough to not worry about tossing out a jug if in doubt. There should not be any water in the tanks of the filling stations unless there is a problem with the underground tanks leaking or the caps taking in water. If would have to be a lot of water getting in to have a measurable effect on a 5000 gallon under ground tank.
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 11-11-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Pump e85 can legally be anywhere between 70 and 85% alcohol. It is near 70% in the winter months, and usually 85% in the summer months. All alcohols are described as being hydroscopic, meaning they readily attract and absorb moisture. Anyone who is using e85 from a fuel station should closely monitor the exact concentration of ethanol that is in these fuels, because the concentration can and often does change very often. This is not caused by any fuel company trying to screw anyone, it is due to changes in the fuel concentration that they are supplied with, because the mixes are adjusted by the suppliers, the fuel blend is constantly adjusted to help with engine starting.
    Last edited by dirtdobberrr; 11-15-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Everything a person needs to know right here.
    https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_production.html

Most E85 pumps around here, as most are now, are blender pumps. Blender pumps are pump that have two separate tanks. One for gas, the other Ethanol and the pump is set too mix the two to within the allowable limits for the geographical area.