Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should there be age limits on running Super Late Model events?

Considering the National 100 carnage, is 15 too young for someone to be behind the wheel of a SLM in a $15,000 race? Should there be age caps or licenses ie. Crate LM license until 18 years old or completeing so many events/laps safely? What so you 4m?

I would think yes but this kid who ran Blue Ridge Outlaw was very respectful on the track. I guess it depends on the kid but I also know Rules need to be put in place.

Can’t put down a blanket age cuz every kid and person is different. There are guys that are 40 that should t be out on the track lol if I was driving I’d have a 16 year old crew member on my team and he would have to do the whipping on the other minors lol
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

^^^^That was my idea this morning

NeedforLMspeed NeedforLMspeed is invisible
    Looks like he was DQ'ed but maybe he failed post tech? If they did that.

Should every driver start bringing a 15 year old with them to do their dirty work just in case?
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Yes there should be an age limit of 18 for ANY racing event offering prize money. If not you get results like what happened at the National 100. Will it happen? NO.

It's a personality thing, not an age thing.

There probably should be minimum age limits. 18 is probably a good minimum. Generally, 18 year old's are considered adults other than for the purchase and legal consumption of marijuana (legal for recreational use in Illinois), alcohol, tobacco.

When you allow adolescent's to compete against grown men in their 20's and older things can easily get very sketchy as we all witnessed over last weekend. What happened last weekend is not the kind of publicity dirt racing needs. A 14 or 15 year old running up front among seasoned veterans makes for a good human interest story until something happens that requires the kids to be protected.

I started when I was 16 but never fully understood the other side until it was me. I personally don't think putting the 'adults' into a situation where they have to race someone 'differently' because of their age is a good idea but that is exactly what happens. It is not about ability as I agree some of these kids can drive as good as anyone, however they are not old enough to make or fully understand what can happen (and, to be honest, I try not to use 'fair' as an argument but the playing field is stacked for the youngster- you can't 'return the favor' in the case of poor driving)...

i know some young drivers a few years back that was made to quit because the track insurance stipulated you must have a valid drivers license also do yall think someone with a revoved or suspended drivers license be allowed to race?

Carnage? The kid punted the leader, hardly carnage

i dont think age really matters, ive seen 15 year olds drive with the respect of mcdowell and ive seen 40 year olds pull the same stuff for a heat race win we seen. its just a mentality that you hope most folks grow out of. i will say my pet peeve is the moms that brag on their sons or daughters "thats my kid" but then when they pull some dumb on track stuff and get confronted they wanna say "thats my kid". there aint no ages when the helmets go on

I'm sure he will be at the 20k 100 lapper at his home track coming up....that should be interesting.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I've seen young kids drive with respect .......and still be good.....and not be a douche.

Don't know a thing about this kid other than what I read and what I saw, maybe he was just having a bad day.....will sit and watch for a minute before I jump on board the band wagon.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

The KID was 15 racing for a win in slm racing, those bozo's kept calling it a crown jewel, but you know what this kid thought it was the biggest race of his life. Everyone can say what they want, he was on an adrenaline high like no other and had no problem driving into the back of the guy. It wasn't money or any other think. It was a SLM race that this youngster thought was the Daytona 500. He didn't even realize he was driving so hard that he burned up his tires so bad it was the real reason he lost that race because nobody was sticking with him on restarts. If he would have won we would all be putting him on a national tour next year. Stupid move KID, reach down pull your head out into the light, you are talented, don't throw it all away by one stupid move.

I think it was considered a crown jewel at one time. I put it in the bottom half of my top ten.

Mcdowell had the best car all weekend.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

The problem with the under 18 is in situations like Sunday night, the other driver is not able to dish out vigilante justice after the race to set the kid straight. You end up with kids thinking it's cool to drive that way from the start when the threat of a knuckle sandwich one time might allow him to see things in a different light.

That's a heck of a lot cheaper than a bunch of torn up race cars like that incident could precipitate. I have no dog in the fight, but Hiett passed him clean as a whistle & then just flat got run over. Straight up garbage racing IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    The KID was 15 racing for a win in slm racing, those bozo's kept calling it a crown jewel, but you know what this kid thought it was the biggest race of his life. Everyone can say what they want, he was on an adrenaline high like no other and had no problem driving into the back of the guy. It wasn't money or any other think. It was a SLM race that this youngster thought was the Daytona 500. He didn't even realize he was driving so hard that he burned up his tires so bad it was the real reason he lost that race because nobody was sticking with him on restarts. If he would have won we would all be putting him on a national tour next year. Stupid move KID, reach down pull your head out into the light, you are talented, don't throw it all away by one stupid move.
    You clearly haven’t done much research. This wasn’t even his first incident of the weekend.

I don’t necessarily believe in age limits, but the leash definitely needs to be tightened on some of the younger set.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Yet mommy and daddy are really proud.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I think the answer to age limits lies with 2 words, maturity and responsibility.

I have seen lots of grown adults act with extreme immaturity, so the next thought goes to responsibility, can the person acting a fool be held responsible?

For minors under the age of 18, the answer is usually no.

If they cannot be held responsible for their actions because of their age, then they should not be allowed to participate.