Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dropping the Droop Rule...

Just noticed that effective with The Leftover next weekend at 411 Motor Speedway that the Iron-Man Championship Series promoted by Chris Tilley has dropped the droop rule. Think any of the other series that follow this rule will follow suit?

Wasn’t this a Ray Cook instituted rule for safety (rollover) concerns? Have there been studies to verify effectiveness? If it works we should keep it. Haven’t heard of any others dumping it.
    Scott Kleindorfer

Interesting- how will this effect his relationship with Ray Cook?

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    Interesting- how will this effect his relationship with Ray Cook?
    Hasn’t that marriage ended already?

I knew Chris left his position with Ray after a social media blow-up with some fans at the end of the Southernationals at Tazwell. Not sure about their current friendship/relationship as to business?
    Some of the same companies sponsor both Ray and Chris’s series. This is what I was referring to about their relationship going forward.

I don’t think dropping the droop rule is going to bring any extra cars, and almost all the cars he’s going to get have been running a droop rule and are going to bring the same car they’ve been running all year. This seems like chest thumping for the sake of chest thumping.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I thought this was a silly thing to do. Don't know what his reasoning is behind this.

Josh Bayko,

Nobody really cares if my team goes to his races or not, but he gained us now.

These races have a small number of full time followers and are filled by largely regional racers. The regional racers may race all season without the need to conform to a Ray Cook or Woo rule.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 11-18-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Mskdorf,

As with anything else DLM related, as it comes to rules, no study has been published, if performed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Less rules = better racing

Mskdorf- Even though it was pushed as a Safety rule, I don't believe for one minute that was the actual reason for the rule. If it was for safety, it would have made more sense to take the deck height down another 6-8 inches. But, even if it was for safety, the side effect of the rule is that it took away some of the downforce. Whether or not it was enough to level the playing field a little and make the racing any better is definitely debatable.

Rajflyboy- Never in the history of racing has "Less Rules" created better racing. If they opened up the rules even more for late models, they would be so stuck to the track and so fast that passing would be impossible and not even the top dollar teams that are still getting by with ridiculous costs as they are now would be able to afford to keep running. But, just throwing restrictions out for the sake of making limits is not the answer either. There are plenty of easy to tech, cheap to implement rules that could be put in place right now that would drastically change the landscape of late model racing.....for the better.

Hardracer32

You have to overlook “flyboy”- 2,090 post since February- he’s a lost ball in high weeds that unfortunately for the rest of us: he stumbled upon and joined 4m!

Thanks for the info guys
    Scott Kleindorfer

“a lost ball in high weeds”, good one lol
    I hate time trials.

Default Foxfire

You have to overlook “flyboy”- 2,090 post since February- he’s a lost ball in high weeds that unfortunately for the rest of us: he stumbled upon and joined 4m!

Could possibly be lost in the high weed?
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

The rule was put into place because if I car did get upside down and the driver had to get out quickly he was in trouble. For me, I like the looks of today's SLM. But, the bodies is what traps a driver, I just think both woo and Lucas could have come up with something better than what is now in place. Even with the droop rule, if a car gets upside down the driver is still in trouble. The wedge noses get into a guy that's sideways, good chance he's going over.

Noses, width and the whole deck being a glorified spoiler need fixed

Quote Originally Posted by hardracer32 View Post
    Mskdorf- Even though it was pushed as a Safety rule, I don't believe for one minute that was the actual reason for the rule. If it was for safety, it would have made more sense to take the deck height down another 6-8 inches. But, even if it was for safety, the side effect of the rule is that it took away some of the downforce. Whether or not it was enough to level the playing field a little and make the racing any better is definitely debatable.

Rajflyboy- Never in the history of racing has "Less Rules" created better racing. If they opened up the rules even more for late models, they would be so stuck to the track and so fast that passing would be impossible and not even the top dollar teams that are still getting by with ridiculous costs as they are now would be able to afford to keep running. But, just throwing restrictions out for the sake of making limits is not the answer either. There are plenty of easy to tech, cheap to implement rules that could be put in place right now that would drastically change the landscape of late model racing.....for the better.
    Here in NE WI and many other places in the 60's-70's we had just a couple basic rules to follow.

Our area had an 11" tire rule, single 4 bbl. and the body had to be six years or newer to be a "late model"... that's it. No CI rule, any suspension (our group had leaf cars, torsion bar cars and the occasional coil spring chassis). We had ex-NASCAR cars, coupe modifieds with buggy springs and newer sheet metal, '57 Chevies with Camaro tin...the whole shebang.

We also ran six cylinders against 427's. Pavement and dirt tracks.

We ran five to six nights per week and averaged 40-50 cars in each pit.

I doubt any set of rules would have made any of us spend less money.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws83 View Post
    Noses, width and the whole deck being a glorified spoiler need fixed
    Just making the bodies straight and symmetrical would do a ton.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Just making the bodies straight and symmetrical would do a ton.
    I agree, and I think you can straighten the bodies out without diminishing the “cool” factor look of a late model.