Thread: Port Royal

Default Port Royal

2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Port Royal is rising to the top in central pa

Its been at the top!! Not even a close comparison!!

Quote Originally Posted by THE DOORMAN 4STUHLER View Post
    Its been at the top!! Not even a close comparison!!
    You're right. They have surpassed all Pa. tracks in aesthetics and promoting. I had the opportunity to walk under the tunnel a couple times this year and wow, Port just keeps spending for the fans. Not since Don Martin's (Lernerville founder and promoting ace) passing has any Pa. track been this aggressive on its (and its fans) future.

I know some will say 'yeah, but 2020.....' No matter. Port played the game in the same calendar as everyone else. They pretty much didn't poke a stick in Gov Wolf and went about things in their own way. Port Royal was the track we needed during the Covids.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

Imitation being the highest form of flattery is why all the central to eastern Pa. tracks are doing improvements to their tracks. Seems like every time I get on social media I see posts about what Williams Grove, Selinsgrove, BAPS and others are doing. Got to keep up with the trend setter.

We made the 8 hour trip from Tennessee in August for the Lucas Races. First time there and was extremely impressed with everything. Have already booked motel for the Lucas races next August.
    The road to Eldora video on DOD with the track board manager explained the board’s total philosophy. They give 10% off the top straight to the town and everything else goes right back into the track. He said their goal was to keep improving and leave no money in the bank for the next board to swindle!
    Just has that small town racing vibe to it!

It's easy to do upgrades when you get state money

As a fan in Central Pa, we are very fortunate that most, if not all the local tracks, continue to reinvest in their facilities with upgrades almost every off season. Port Royal, BAPS, Lincoln and to some degree, Williams Grove and Selinsgrove as well.

Pamoyerfan

Would you discuss a little more on the state funding you are speaking of?

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    Pamoyerfan

Would you discuss a little more on the state funding you are speaking of?
    It's a fairgrounds.

I realize it’s a fairgrounds- so what you’re saying is that even tho the track is probably self sufficient- does the track still receive state money? Or just the other parts of the fairgrounds? I know this is a strange question. Either way -it’s a great facility that continues to improve constantly. Yes with state money it would certainly be easier. I would certainly believe the little hamlet of Port Royal benefits greatly with the success of the track. And the surrounding areas as well.

i believe the infield tunnel, new bathrooms and bleachers had state funding to make them handicap accesible.. even without those upgrades theyve still done more than any other track in the area

Quote Originally Posted by PennDirt View Post
    You're right. They have surpassed all Pa. tracks in aesthetics and promoting. I had the opportunity to walk under the tunnel a couple times this year and wow, Port just keeps spending for the fans. Not since Don Martin's (Lernerville founder and promoting ace) passing has any Pa. track been this aggressive on its (and its fans) future.

I know some will say 'yeah, but 2020.....' No matter. Port played the game in the same calendar as everyone else. They pretty much didn't poke a stick in Gov Wolf and went about things in their own way. Port Royal was the track we needed during the Covids.
    I'm just glad to see you're still here. I always enjoyed your posts.

On another hand, I'm hoping I can make it to the port next year. It's on my bucket list of tracks.

As a fairgrounds, it can only show "X" amount of profit to still receive state money. Keep in mind Bedford and Selinsgrove are both fairgrounds if I remember correctly. They might be leased out though.

Selinsgrove is owned by the local fire department which leases the track to local promotors Mike Heffner & Alan Kreitzer to promote the actual races. A little bit of a different situation than Port Royal and their fair board with Steve O'Neil at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    I'm just glad to see you're still here. I always enjoyed your posts.

On another hand, I'm hoping I can make it to the port next year. It's on my bucket list of tracks.
    Thank you, Mr. Z. And likewise. Good to see the old names still keeping 4M above water. I don't suppose you could have a bad time at the Port should you invest in the adventure. In the early WoOLM days, Port took their stab at booking the famed DLMs and to be honest, the race were yawners. Port has been on top of their game on making the track racy af, of late. Their past is certainly not their present. Hope to see you there in 2021. PM me if you decide to travel up here.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

Quote Originally Posted by PennDirt View Post
    Thank you, Mr. Z. And likewise. Good to see the old names still keeping 4M above water. I don't suppose you could have a bad time at the Port should you invest in the adventure. In the early WoOLM days, Port took their stab at booking the famed DLMs and to be honest, the race were yawners. Port has been on top of their game on making the track racy af, of late. Their past is certainly not their present. Hope to see you there in 2021. PM me if you decide to travel up here.
    Will do bud. I will let ya know.