Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up NASCAR Truck Series ----- Knoxville Raceway ----- Friday, July 9th 2021

OFF TOPIC

NASCAR TRUCK SERIES ----- KNOXVILLE RACEWAY ----- Friday, July 9th 2021

Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

And the Corn Belt Nationals (USAC non-wing sprints are the next evening).

TRUCK SERIES IN 2021

KNOXVILLE, IOWA – In the late 1800s, just 45 miles southeast of the state capitol in Des Moines, a small farming community in the unassuming town of Knoxville carved out a half-mile oval at the Marion County Fairgrounds for what was originally intended to be a horse racing facility.

In 1901, the facility staged what’s touted as the first automobile race at an Iowa fairground, and perhaps the country, featuring a pair of vehicles that were on display at the fair.

While the account of the day told a tale of a race that was “nothing remarkable,” the first chapter in the storied history of Knoxville Raceway was written.

Since then, Knoxville Raceway has become synonymous with sprint cars, an abundance of chapters have been recorded, while the venue and town have been affectionately designated as “The Sprint Car Capital of the World.”

Flash forward over a century from that 1901 summer to modern day as Knoxville Raceway and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will co-author a new adventure. NASCAR’s 3,400-pound purpose-built race trucks will take on the venerable dirt oval as NASCAR and sprint car fans come together for the Knoxville Raceway Corn Belt Weekend.

For the first time in its prestigious history, Knoxville Raceway will host a NASCAR National Touring Series event when the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races at the famed half-mile dirt oval on Friday night, July 9, 2021. The event will take place on the eve of the Corn Belt Clash, formerly the Corn Belt Nationals, non-winged sprint car race which will shift to Saturday, July 10.

Originally, the two-day non-winged event, featuring the USAC Sprint Car National Championship Series and POWRi War Sprints was scheduled for July 9 & 10. Now, the Corn Belt Clash will be moved solely to Saturday, July 10 and will continue to boast a $20,000 top prize for the sole non-winged sprint car event at the Sprint Car Capital of the World. The track’s 410 winged sprint cars series will also compete on July 10.

“With the help of NASCAR, Knoxville Raceway is ready to pen another chapter in the history that’s been created at the most legendary dirt track in the world,” said Knoxville Raceway’s Race Director John McCoy. “We’re honored by the faith NASCAR has placed in our facility and staff to raise the already high bar in delivering the best racing to our fans. We’re proud to join NASCAR in bringing Knoxville Raceway to a national television audience and to showcase what sprint car fans have known for generations. There’s no where like Knoxville.”

Tickets are now available to purchase online or by calling the ticket office at 641-842-5431. Suite availability, camping and parking information will be announced via the track’s website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram platforms as it becomes available. Broadcast times and networks will be also be announced at a later date. To receive up-to-date information about the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Knoxville Raceway, visit our website.

The event will be promoted in cooperation with North Carolina-based Spire Holdings.

“Thrilled doesn’t quite capture what it means to have the opportunity to showcase what dirt racing fans all over the world already know – that Knoxville Raceway is the greatest and most prestigious dirt track in the world,” said Spire Holdings’ Vice President of Strategic Initiatives Joey Dennewitz. “Some of the most famous and accomplished race car drivers in the world have built their resumes on the hallowed dirt of Knoxville Raceway. We’re grateful to NASCAR and the Marion County Fair Board for helping us bring this vision to life.”

About Knoxville Raceway…
    Located on the Marion County Fairgrounds in Knoxville, Iowa, Knoxville Raceway is a 1/2-mile dirt track that hosts winged CT525, 360 and 410 sprint car racing nearly every Saturday night from April to September. The “Sprint Car Capital of the World” also hosts the Knoxville Nationals, sprint car racing’s most prestigious event, every August, as well as the Late Model Nationals, 360 Nationals and Corn Belt Clash featuring non-wing sprint cars. In 2021, Knoxville Raceway also will host the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Knoxville Raceway is the third-largest outdoor stadium in Iowa with 20,377 seats and 32 luxury suites.

About Spire Holdings …
    Spire Holdings is an emerging sports property and agency stakeholder. The Cornelius, N.C., organization is the parent company of Spire Sports + Entertainment, Spire Motorsports, Spire Hockey, and Track Enterprises. Spire Holdings specializes in dynamic property ownership and management and is led by long-time NASCAR industry executives Jeff (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)erson and Thaddeus (T.J.) Puchyr.

There was a thread here awhile back about Nascar at Knoxville and in an article I posted it said something about the wall around the track wouldn't be able to withstand an impact from a stock car. Kinda contradicts this article

https://racingnews-co.cdn.ampproject...rns-to-dirt%2F
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    There was a thread here awhile back about Nascar at Knoxville and in an article I posted it said something about the wall around the track wouldn't be able to withstand an impact from a stock car. Kinda contradicts this article

https://racingnews-co.cdn.ampproject...rns-to-dirt%2F
    You have to take what's written on that website with a grain of salt. Terrible grammar, a lot of gossip and nothing first-hand from the editor.

They need to take the windshields off and put some tear offs on there helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    They need to take the windshields off and put some tear offs on there helmets
    Should've done that at Eldora along with a few other things.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

I don’t have high hopes for this race being any good. Eldora was okayish because the high banks with the preferred groove up top and slide jobs and such. Knoxville is flatter and there is no benefit to running the outside. They’re going to follow each other around like a recessionary caterpillar at 62MPH.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Be almost equivalent to watching a 35 mph LM race in the dome
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Yeah, dont think this will amount to much.

At least it’s something different and will be a challenge for the Truckers. Good to see Covid Shut states losing events to other states that are more open.

What's people think the lap times will be on the trucks for Knoxville? I'm guessing 30+ secs. What a bore fest that'll be.

Have they ever ran any kind of bomber or dirt stock on Knoxville?

Sheldon Creed will make this race exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    What's people think the lap times will be on the trucks for Knoxville? I'm guessing 30+ secs. What a bore fest that'll be.

Have they ever ran any kind of bomber or dirt stock on Knoxville?
    Not sure. I'd have to go back and look. They have ran modifieds though
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

I'm having a hard time understanding the negativity with NASCAR on dirt. Sure, they are not near as fast as the sprint cars and late models. But that doesn't mean they can't provide entertainment value. I've enjoyed the trucks on TV in Eldora and had hoped they would bring them to Knoxville. I am very much looking forward to this race - and hoping to attend.

The USAC Stock Car Division raced at Knoxville from 1969 through 1974. The pole speed in 1970 was just a tick over 24 seconds. These were racecars that went nearly 2 tons with less horsepower than today's NASCAR truck engines. It's reasonable to believe that the trucks, which have to weigh 3400 lbs. with driver and full of fuel, will be quicker than the USAC stockers of 50 years ago with far quicker lap times than 30 seconds.

NASCAR Trucks at Knoxville is likely going to be a huggy pole affair with the bump and run being a common passing tactic which is generally okay with fans of fendered racecars.

Quote Originally Posted by 15b24fan View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding the negativity with NASCAR on dirt. Sure, they are not near as fast as the sprint cars and late models. But that doesn't mean they can't provide entertainment value. I've enjoyed the trucks on TV in Eldora and had hoped they would bring them to Knoxville. I am very much looking forward to this race - and hoping to attend.
    In most cases, it is a jealousy thing.

I too am looking forward to this race. While Eldora has some huge events, Knoxville is a MUCH racier track.

What are they jealous of?
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Quote Originally Posted by 15b24fan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    In most cases, it is a jealousy thing.

I too am looking forward to this race. While Eldora has some huge events, Knoxville is a MUCH racier track.
    No jealousy here. I'll most likely watch it from home, and fall asleep before the end, just like I did with the Eldora races. Being there and watching it on tv are 2 different worlds. Too many cautions, and not enough actual racing. I just never have found this race very exciting. With the only exception being th year Pierce was on the verge of winning, that one did keep me up.

I sure hope to see some dirt ringers run Bristol and Knoxville.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels