Default DoD - Fast talk this week

Overrated racing traditions. The minds at DoD are dead on again. Four wide salutes, intermissions, 100 lappers that aren’t Crown Jewels, they all need to go bye bye.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Calling everything a Crown Jewel also needs to go bye bye. I think any promoter that wants to do a 100 lap race, certainly can. They have no mandate to satisfy DoD.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'm not much on 4 wides but the fans really like it. Just think of the guy who brings his family to the track for the first time because he heard about the BIG RACE. Driver intros, four wide salutes...it's show bidness folks. When I sit in the stands I listen to the folks around me. I try to sit amongst the great unwashed not racing "royalty".... I listen to people try to explain to their kids all about racing... what's a heat race. How is it determined what a "feature" is...

How big would Indy have gotten without all the hoopla surrounding the race itself. Or Daytona/Southern 500/etc before they got screwed with. Maybe 33 cars and 50mpit crew members?

We are in show business....

We are in show business not the racing buz.

If you don't give the fans something extra for their increased admission price you might as well close up shop.

The drivers expect more pay for any show with an entry fee... no difference.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I think the term crown jewel needs to go away altogether. Some races are more important than others, and that’s okay. The other headline level dirt divisions don’t feel this need to designate certain races more important than others. They just let the races stand on their own.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I'm not much on 4 wides but the fans really like it. Just think of the guy who brings his family to the track for the first time because he heard about the BIG RACE. Driver intros, four wide salutes...it's show bidness folks. When I sit in the stands I listen to the folks around me. I try to sit amongst the great unwashed not racing "royalty".... I listen to people try to explain to their kids all about racing... what's a heat race. How is it determined what a "feature" is...

How big would Indy have gotten without all the hoopla surrounding the race itself. Or Daytona/Southern 500/etc before they got screwed with. Maybe 33 cars and 50mpit crew members?

We are in show business....

We are in show business not the racing buz.

If you don't give the fans something extra for their increased admission price you might as well close up shop.

The drivers expect more pay for any show with an entry fee... no difference.
    Agree... Just make sure it's a larger scale event.

We only did fireworks and 4 wides, for our specials. (WDRL, WoO's, USMTS etc.) Kinda gives the fans a better show, for the extra price on their ticket. They came to see a cool show, give them one.

It's what we all liked and wanted at one time, so why not keep a tradition going.?.?

If you went to see Garth in concert, you would expect "Friends in low places"... If not played (which would never happen), you'd feel cheated, cuz you didn't get the show/entertainment you were hoping and paid for.

Not a fan of the 4 wide parade either but the fans usually eat it up. I don't see it as a problem as it only takes up about two minutes of the show .
    8/13/16

I don't have a problem with it at BIG races. Not every Regional show in the country needs a 4 wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    I don't have a problem with it at BIG races. Not every Regional show in the country needs a 4 wide.
    Exactly. It don’t mean anything when it’s done everywhere every week.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

USMTS’s four wide with cars carrying the American flag and Lee Greenwood doing God Bless The USA is worth the extra time. Seen it many times, never gets old.
    I hate time trials.

What makes a crown jewel at so many races ? To me, there is very few, in fact because of the different sanctioning bodies there is only 1. It's the one every dirt late model guy goes 100% for. New cars, that special motor, that special wrap. Anything that the budget will allow to be new usually is. The World 100, not one race even comes close. Sure at one time it was 200 cars, they don't match that today, but there is dang few races that even come close to the entries the big E brings in.

Are some of these supposed races to long, YES. These promotors beat the tracks into submission and if they lose the track early they can sell Amtrak train tickets. You give the fan a good race and thats what brings them back. The 4 wide looks cool. If you have a show thats moving well time wise then by all means have it. If your running late or weather is a issue ? Cut the garbage and get what the people came to see on track.

The fireworks, it's a side show that leads up to the green flag. They do make smokeless powders that don't hold the race up for 5 mins because some idiot set off enough fireworks that you can't see the race track.

I think a big problem at some races is the concessions. They drag things out so that they can sell that last burger or hot dog. Personally I like what Lernerville does for the fans during firecracker weekend. Ballgame, concert, and other things for the fans. Port Royal during fair week is another one. Great atmosphere at both. Lernerville, I just wish they'd quit beating the track to death. I believe crate racing has a place, but not on the same card as one of your biggest races of the year.