Default 604 diff in power

How much difference in power is being seen from a factory 604 compared to a blueprinted engine?

2 or 3 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by tnslider View Post
    How much difference in power is being seen from a factory 604 compared to a blueprinted engine?
    I would agree with perfcon on this one. But that's a loaded question. The way it was explained to me is the advertised number by gm is their best peice out of the heap and most or many don't hit the mark out of the box due to less than spectacular manufacturing tolerances so blue printing ensures that it hits the number. I was told that they can be as much as 30 numbers down on a bad one

Let me say up front that I don't like crate engines.That being said,it is insane to take a brand new engine apart and blueprint it without dynoing it first.Sure,if you got one that was built by a drunk Mexican on Monday,it may be down 30hp.But how will you know if you don't have it dynoed first.Out of maybe 50 or more that jr has dynoed new,none were down 30 hp.

Ive chassis dyno 3 604 in 3 IMCA modifieds same day same dyno and they were all within 8hp..

two on alky, mine was on gas.

I'm not suggesting that you should tear a motor that has never been run down. I was just answering the question as it was asked. This is one advantage to dealing with one of the more reputable dealers/ builders. Most that i know of do not recommend blue printing a new engine the three that I've spoken to all prefer to dyno them first. And one in particular has a specific break in process that he claims does not help power but he claims it greatly helps engine life. Particularity piston ring life. I don't know how much truth their is in the break in deal but it seems perfectly logical and the guy doesn't charge any more to do it. It's just part of his normal package. It's also worth noting that all three were within 1000$ of each other for a complete race ready setup and the main variables were bolt on parts selections that each preferred

IMO the bolt on parts make a much bigger difference than legal blueprinting but dyno testing is always a good idea to screen for problems like intake gaskets not sealing, cam ground wrong etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I'm not suggesting that you should tear a motor that has never been run down. I was just answering the question as it was asked. This is one advantage to dealing with one of the more reputable dealers/ builders. Most that i know of do not recommend blue printing a new engine the three that I've spoken to all prefer to dyno them first. And one in particular has a specific break in process that he claims does not help power but he claims it greatly helps engine life. Particularity piston ring life. I don't know how much truth their is in the break in deal but it seems perfectly logical and the guy doesn't charge any more to do it. It's just part of his normal package. It's also worth noting that all three were within 1000$ of each other for a complete race ready setup and the main variables were bolt on parts selections that each preferred
    he is not by chance hooking them to a spin tron type thing is he ? i dont have won but i do something similar before ever putting compression to the engine and i believe it helps on longevity a lot ...

Sorry it took so long to reply I don't venture over here to much but to my knowledge no he doesn't do anything like that he just has a particular break in regimen that he's found to be effective