Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Weeks

Great news!

Yes. Awesome news.

Just read where hes hanging up his helmet for good. Said hes had a great career and is going to go out now.

Congrats Ricky on a stellar career! Ricky could run with the best and I appreciate all that he has done for our area!

Covid is nothing to worry about unless you are over 70 years old. Right ?

Ricky retired from racing now according to the Blue Ridge Outlaw website

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    Covid is nothing to worry about unless you are over 70 years old. Right ?
    Correct. Or have some issues.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Correct. Or have some issues.
    Did you read the DoD article ? The guy literally said he thought he was dying. He's gonna be off work for two months.
    How is that 'nothing' to worry about ?

And very few of us have issues, so carry on.
    Last edited by jr29; 12-23-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Did you read the DoD article ? The guy literally said he thought he was dying. He's gonna be off work for two months.
    How is that 'nothing' to worry about ?

And very few of us have issues, so carry on.
    I read it. Half the people I know have had it, it seems like. It's a minor worry for most healthy folks. Certainly nothing to spend all your days fearing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I read it. Half the people I know have had it, it seems like. It's a minor worry for most healthy folks. Certainly nothing to spend all your days fearing.
    It was nothing to worry about a few posts back. Now it's a minor worry. Keep moving the goalposts.

I know quite a few people who've had it too. Most have been fine. A few haven't.

I think it was 1996, I went to a chassis class in Mooresville, NC. It was put on by Barry Wright and Bloomquist. Ricky was also in that class. I remember him going to lunch with Bloomer, so I knew he was legit back then!

Glad he's feeling better, and I wish him luck in his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I think it was 1996, I went to a chassis class in Mooresville, NC. It was put on by Barry Wright and Bloomquist. Ricky was also in that class. I remember him going to lunch with Bloomer, so I knew he was legit back then!

Glad he's feeling better, and I wish him luck in his retirement.
    It sounds like he has plenty going on to keep him occupied post-retirement.
    All the best to him moving forward.

It was nothing to worry about a few posts back. Now it's a minor worry. Keep moving the goalposts.

I know quite a few people who've had it too. Most have been fine. A few haven't.
    I didn't put the goal post in the ground, you did. If you are youngish and healthy, driving is a bigger worry.

I know one person who died. She had a long history of health problems. That said, she probably had 5-10 years left, if Covid wasn't a thing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I didn't put the goal post in the ground, you did. If you are youngish and healthy, driving is a bigger worry.

I know one person who died. She had a long history of health problems. That said, she probably had 5-10 years left, if Covid wasn't a thing.
    Earlier in the thread you were fine if you were under 70. Then it went to a minor worry, now you need to be 'youngish'. My dad is about to be 60. Is he in the "youngish" category ?
    At what point in someone's life is it ok to put them out to pasture ? What age, how many health issues...etc.

BTW...in my state there have been 1,189 traffic fatalities this year. There have been 6,380 covid related deaths. I'm not sure how many of those 6,380 were "youngish". I do know that I listen to local radio almost every morning and they give a detailed recap of the previous day's virus numbers. There are lots of folks in their 50's, 60's, and even an occasional 30-something or 40-something.
    Last edited by jr29; 12-24-2020 at 07:05 AM.

I guess I saw Ricky win his last race 👍👍👍. I got lucky in that sense

Earlier in the thread you were fine if you were under 70. Then it went to a minor worry, now you need to be 'youngish'. My dad is about to be 60. Is he in the "youngish" category ?
    At what point in someone's life is it ok to put them out to pasture ? What age, how many health issues...etc.

BTW...in my state there have been 1,189 traffic fatalities this year. There have been 6,380 covid related deaths. I'm not sure how many of those 6,380 were "youngish". I do know that I listen to local radio almost every morning and they give a detailed recap of the previous day's virus numbers. There are lots of folks in their 50's, 60's, and even an occasional 30-something or 40-something.
    Johns Hopkins has the fatality numbers by age group and risk factors, based on their antibody testing in the northeast. A guy can look those up and then do the math. I'm twice as likely to die in a car accident. Others math will vary.

I simply agreed with your 70, because you wanted to make this about Covid. Age related risk ramps up earlier than that. Iirc, it's about 3% at age 60 and about 0.3 at age 40.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 12-24-2020 at 08:44 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Ricky retired from racing now according to the Blue Ridge Outlaw website
    Yes see post #4 flyboy

I was fortunate enough during my middle school years to watch Ricky race street stocks at Harris Speedway when it was converted to dirt and was called Tri-City Speedway. He dominated that division in a #52 Chevelle. Then, I remember him moving up to late models at Cherokee Speedway. I fondly remember him driving the black #1 sponsored by Parton Lumber and White Pines Ranch running McCreary tires. He started outside Bloomquist in an unsanctioned race at Cherokee in that car, got the jump on the start, and was leading until a right rear flat. I remember the Carolina Clash years where he was one pf the best in the region and winning to the point that people were tired of seeing him win. He drove the Rumley 6 in a one race deal at Cherokee that he ran well in until the motor tightened up and he pulled in rather than hurting the motor as it was not his equipment. My son still remembers Ricky and Myra giving him cobbler and ice cream after a blue gray race at Cherokee. Blessed to see him race this year. He gave my son a shirt this year at Cherokee when we wanted to buy him a new shirt. He wrote a letter back to my daughter after his wreck at 311 as she had picked him to write to for a letter writing project in elementary school (she still has the letter). He always remember me and my son and asked how we were doing. My cousin who was friends with Ricky's dad always said he was born to drive race cars. For me, he was my hometown guy who was a good race car driver and a good person along with his wife Myra. He knows what is important, God & Family, and even missed a Clash race due to his daughter's wedding that could have cost him the points championship. He was rewarded by doing the right thing and won the championship that year anyway. He was a blue collar racer and proud of it. I agree with Kelly Carlton that Ricky has had a hall of fame career and hope he is chosen for the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame. God bless and Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSIDE TIMMY 39FAN View Post
    Yes see post #4 flyboy
    I did. Thanks 👍