Default E-85 Carb Maintenance

Considering making the switch from race gas to E85, just wondering what some of you guys go through weekly for carb maintenance? Are you draining the bowls out weekly? Cranking the car and letting it run more often? Etc....?

not trying to be a smart azz , but use 4m,s search and search E-85 and you will find lots and lots of helpful info....this subject has been discussed in-depth on here for 5 or 6 years.....

come on ford---don't bust the guys but over asking a popular question
    besides in his defense ---I did just search it and I know I had to of done something wrong because nothing would come up

Dirtslinger20,
    E-85 is not as corrosive as many people want to make it out to be
    especially race grades
    in my opinion I don't think it is necessarily the ethanol that is corrosive anyway
    I believe it is the moisture that the ethanol absorbs that causes the real problems.
    local gas station E85 is usually stored underground with open air vents and that absolutely has every possibility to become contaminated with moisture and cause all kinds of grief.
    Race grades being more controlled and sealed lessen that likelihood.
    In any case it is never a bad idea to mix an upper lube into it.
    Driven makes a real nice product but marvel mystery oil or seafoam also work well (there are others also)

I don't think I have a single customer that drains their carburetor on a weekly basis or does any extra ordinary maintenance.
    Please do not let me deter you from being diligent at the maintenance side but please don't be hesitant to switch to E85 based on added maintenance.

E85 is an awesome fuel that makes good power and not terrible on the wallet.

just my 2 cents
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

I'm also thinking of switching and couldn't find anything in the search. Is it really that big of a deal to have a pump and regulator that is methanol compatible if i drain the e85 the next day after i race? I've heard i need bigger than 1/2 fuel hose but why exactly? Also do i have to run a return line?

you do not "need" a return fuel system---E-85 works very well on a dead head regulator
    the fuel system capabilities varies in opinion depends on who you talk to--
    We even have have guys that run a non regulated pump with small fuel lines and and do not "seem" to have any problem.
    But we like to see an 11 psi high volume pump with a holley 12-704 dead head regulator or just about any bypass regulator (without bleed)
    I do like a -10 inlet and -8 outlet but I have seen -8 used on inlet and outlet

about the pump---most pumps will work fine
    we are currently taking a close look at the new ProCam pumps---they are now an aluminum design and powder coated which will help with corrosion in all cases---it is pretty new and I don't like to give things my seal of approval until they have been in the field for awhile but those folks have been building pumps for a long time so I am leaning towards using them in the future---these pumps are black

about the regulator---
    if using a dead head regulator (no return) we have found the best to be Holley 12-704
    it is big and ugly but has great flow characteristics with it's 1/2" pipe inlet and outlet
    If using a bypass regulator we do not recommend anything with a bleed for low idle pressure---this is one area E-85 differs from alky---we want a constant pressure on E-85

about draining the system
    for weekly use I would not worry about any draining---actually I would prefer not to drain unless it is being flushed by gas--(air completes the corrosion process)
    We do recommend a lubricant such as marvel mystery oil (used in the correct amount)--more is not better
    Winter time or long term storage-- that is different but weekly---no worries --especially if the fuel is quality and has lube in it

hope some of that helps
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

Thanks for the reply Brad I'm glad you're still on here as I've i use to live on this forum but the past few year it has really slowed down.... reason i ask is i have a regulator similar to the one you suggest but it isn't for methanol and i have a pump that's 110gph up to 8psi that'll I'll have to change. Do they have to be for methanol?

I would certainly recommend changing the pump
    if you have a dead head regulator with large ports it should work just fine
    you keep referring to methanol---
    although Ethanol (E-85) and methanol are both in the alcohol family of fuels ---ethanol has a completely different effect on components than methanol.

we are not seeing the corrosive damage that some are claiming from E-85
    I believe we have a pretty good bank of information on it as probably 1/3 of our customers now run E-85
    I stated this earlier but will again--- as long as the fuel is quality and as moisture free as possible and you run some sort of upper lube there is no big concern of damage to pumps--regulators or engines when sitting for a week

Brad
    www.race-1.com

What he said. If you have the right carb, pump, filter, lines and fuel it's great. Week to week maintenance isn't really needed. We cap off the vent on the fuel cell and keep fuel stored properly. No big deal. Forget about "carb conversion kits" and use a good pump. The 6 valve pumps are great as long as the oil seal doesn't fail and that has been a problem for years. That seems like it could be addressed since many people won't use them as a result.

After using it for a year, im not a real fan of it. Besides the maintenance, I was highly surprised at the volume it takes for a standard 25 lap feature! I truly believe that offsets its hp advantage!

What carburetor did you run?

Thanks for the reply guys. We’re still undecided on what we’re gonna do right now. I know that Brad is real big on Stealth Carburetors, what are some of you other guys using that’s working well?Brad, as always your input is greatly appreciated FastFord, I do believe the search engine on this site is powered by Ford bc it got me no where!

JDR here and E-85 should make good power without burning a bunch of fuel. I've ran some others that were pretty sloppy though so choose carefully. Select fuel carefully too.

In my day we drove Fords. We walked a lot. Just kidding.

hey fastford ---these guys are really giving it to ya---LOL
    I'm sure it's all in fun

Guys ---if either of my grandpas new what my shop is full of they would be looking for a switch to tan my rear---LOL
    Growing up both sides of my family wouldn't even ride in anything but a Ford let alone owning or working on one
    and to be providing for a family off of a "shivvy" I can't even imagine what is being discussed for me when I see them again.

stay healthy everyone ---my wife got the corona cootie 10 days ago and it was quite the journey
    all good now

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    What carburetor did you run?
    Willys.....the motor was bought and tuned at Hendrens.

dont bother me none brad , i had still rather have a sister working in a hoe house than drive a chevy....lol....

I was only kidding. I've had some Fords and loved them. I hope you all start feeling better Brad.

We are all good 50j but trust me when I say you don't want that nasty covid cootie
    stay away from sick people and take it serious

In all my time off here lately I stumbled across a quote from Henry Ford that I just absolutely love and want to share--

If you think you can
    or you think you can't
    you are right.
    Henry Ford

stay safe all and have the best possible holiday

Brad