Default Running Alcohol Questions

Thinking about switching to alcohol this year, always ran gas, but engine builder says motor will really see a strong increase given our setup. So whats the weekly , monthly, yearly extras i got to add to the maintenace sheet?

Our Limited Late models run alcohol. Every night before we load up the carb bowls are drained, accelerator pumps pumped dry, and the bowls get filled with gasoline. We then crank the motor over a few times (no ignition) to clear any alcohol out of the cylinders. The gas helps you fire it to warm up the next night, especially when it is really cold.

Other than that, always run a stainless filter element, make sure you have alcohol foam in your fuel cell (or remove it). And if course you will need the right carb and a fuel pump that will supply the correct volume of fuel.

This routine has kept our fuel system working well for many years.

Good luck

Zach

Be smart and use a belt pump.

No need to run a stainless filter just replace the filter you ran with gas. Frankly it's harder on the engine itself than the fuel system. If you run every week draining the carb isn't necessary but is good habit. I like to fire the car on gas for a few seconds to dry the cylinders out. If you have a bladder type fuel cell you need to make sure that it is rated for alcohol use if you do not you may not have a problem immediately but everyday you will especially if you ever switch back to gas. During the winter drain everything and dry out then lube up your pump and regulator. Keep all fuel sealed well. Not a bad habit to plug or shutoff fuel vent during the week but not necessary. Methanol absorbs water naturally this is alot of times what does the damage the fuel holds water then as the fuel evaporates during the week the water is left behind now you have water lying in the cylinder .buy quality fuel and keep it sealed.

So basically on a weekly basis i can get buy running top lube and keeping system capped off during the week, already run a kse tandem off the oil pump so no issue there, gonna buy a carb and regulator together so i can keep my gas carb and reg together if i have to run somewhere that doesnt allow alky. Buying a new cell this winter anyways so no issue there, current one is rated for alky though. if its gotta sit longer than a week between shows run some gas through to clean things up. I get that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    No need to run a stainless filter just replace the filter you ran with gas. Frankly it's harder on the engine itself than the fuel system. If you run every week draining the carb isn't necessary but is good habit. I like to fire the car on gas for a few seconds to dry the cylinders out. If you have a bladder type fuel cell you need to make sure that it is rated for alcohol use if you do not you may not have a problem immediately but everyday you will especially if you ever switch back to gas. During the winter drain everything and dry out then lube up your pump and regulator. Keep all fuel sealed well. Not a bad habit to plug or shutoff fuel vent during the week but not necessary. Methanol absorbs water naturally this is alot of times what does the damage the fuel holds water then as the fuel evaporates during the week the water is left behind now you have water lying in the cylinder .buy quality fuel and keep it sealed.
    Water condensate will plug a paper fuel filter. Thats why steel is recommended.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Water condensate will plug a paper fuel filter. Thats why steel is recommended.
    I'm not a filter expert by any means but we run a napa 4004 or equivalent. Says right in the description it's good for methanol. I know at least 5 other people who run the same exact deal and have for many years. We change them once a year as maintenence with zero issues

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I'm not a filter expert by any means but we run a napa 4004 or equivalent. Says right in the description it's good for methanol. I know at least 5 other people who run the same exact deal and have for many years. We change them once a year as maintenence with zero issues
    I've seen a paper get guys before. Plugged, but wasn't dirty. I've always ran the stainless with alcohol.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Supposedly some paper filters will swell from the alky and basically close all the openings in the filter to let fluid pass and while it looks 100% clean can't pass anything.

Now whether all paper filters are like that or it's just an old wives tell from years past when paper tech was much lower is the question.

I can tell you the most single common problem with alky is the squirters on the carb, if the car sits too long the weighted needle under the squirter will stick and the accelerator pump won't squirt fuel. You typically can tap on the top of the screw that holds the squirter to carb and knock it loose. So if you have a stumble check that first that they are working

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Supposedly some paper filters will swell from the alky and basically close all the openings in the filter to let fluid pass and while it looks 100% clean can't pass anything.

Now whether all paper filters are like that or it's just an old wives tell from years past when paper tech was much lower is the question.

I can tell you the most single common problem with alky is the squirters on the carb, if the car sits too long the weighted needle under the squirter will stick and the accelerator pump won't squirt fuel. You typically can tap on the top of the screw that holds the squirter to carb and knock it loose. So if you have a stumble check that first that they are working
    What you describe above is exactly what happened. One of my friends who experienced this issue, brought it up again just last week. A 2 week old filter plugged and was clean.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I hadn't seen anyone try to use paper with methanol for at least 20 years. Most people use stainless for everything.