Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We have ran LS since 2014. Started using the ct525 in ump. Even made half the summer national shows that year with them.. in 2016 we did modify them with Baldwin. We can make close to 700 with 93 octane pump gas and still us a hydraulic cam. We got around 3000 laps before we had a stock valve fail. Bearings, rings still looked new. Can't do that with a sbc!

Quote Originally Posted by Car Biz View Post
    WOW 2000 laps! Is that common place now? Malcuit told us 1000 on our 415 Ford and 1200 we were on "borrowed time" this was in 1998 though
    Again it depends on what you have. The fords a few of my guys use are all a Spintron tested combo so valve train problems are basically non existent even at 9500 RPM, the biggest concern is really pulling a rod apart due to the massive piston speed at those RPM's. I would not recommend that many laps on a typical LM engine unless it was a very researched out combo and had spintron testing done.

After 1200 laps the engine was down 8 HP so we now run closer to 2000 laps and had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Again it depends on what you have. The fords a few of my guys use are all a Spintron tested combo so valve train problems are basically non existent even at 9500 RPM, the biggest concern is really pulling a rod apart due to the massive piston speed at those RPM's. I would not recommend that many laps on a typical LM engine unless it was a very researched out combo and had spintron testing done.

After 1200 laps the engine was down 8 HP so we now run closer to 2000 laps and had no issues.
    ry 45 ???? just curious

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    ry 45 ???? just curious
    Yes, an RY45

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    I guess you didn't watch the race

Nope. But you have to try something in order to make it better and find ways to use it as need be

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I guess you didn't watch the race
    Not sure if it's accurate info or not but heard there was a hole in the radiator. Not a engine issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb View Post
    Not sure if it's accurate info or not but heard there was a hole in the radiator. Not a engine issue.
    Yeah i heard that and I'm not suggesting that he had engine trouble per say. But it looked like every other Baldwin engine I've seen they claim big dyno numbers but Scott couldn't get away from madden. It did not look like the motor ran good enough to contend. I have been paying very close attention to these engines for quite some time. And specifically the Baldwins. Some local guys in my area even have or had them and they just don't ever seem to back it up on the track

Default LS engine

Bloomer ran the 2nd quickest lap in the race the same lap Madden ran the fastest lap...Not too shabby

We'd love to build an LS engine for our class, Pro/Super Stock, which is a step or so below the DLMs that really don't exist on the left coast the last several years. Unfortunately, we're limited to all iron engines and I don't know of anyone making an iron head for them.

The stock front clips and engine rules against the LS technology kill us and leave us running 40-50 year old stuff on both counts. On the plus side the class is quite a bit more economical to run and car counts are pretty good and purses have been creeping up to respectable. Mods are moving to aftermarket clips as the junkyard sources dry up.

When I started in the old hardtops/coupes the cars were built from stuff only 10-15 years out of production. The cardboard and plastic unibody stuff currently on the road doesn't make for a promising future for the basic Saturday night racer. I'm glad I unlikely will be around when electric Priuses are the norm at the local tracks.

Ls had 1 or 2 years of steel head, believe 99/00. The numbers don't appear to be bad starting point. I've been kicking idea around of building one for open cu.in. 2 barrel class just to be different

you dont see them winning at the big places for the big shows eldora, knoxville etc. I mean honestly theyre ford windsor engines with slightly different intake ports and main webbing. Same valve angle, same bore spacing, the junk yard motors are great for the streets but i dont get why folks think theyre the savior of racing

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    you dont see them winning at the big places for the big shows eldora, knoxville etc
    Well... Obviously not yet...
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

you dont see them winning at the big places for the big shows eldora, knoxville etc. I mean honestly theyre ford windsor engines with slightly different intake ports and main webbing. Same valve angle, same bore spacing, the junk yard motors are great for the streets but i dont get why folks think theyre the savior of racing
    ha , very few people know this , i said the exact same thing the first time i ever tore one down , and the block on the ls and the mod ford is a spin of of 1960,s technology , meaning the cross bolt main 427 , they just added 2 more inner main bolts.....

So just because it hasn't won at places that have 3-5 lm races a season their junk. 2 ls motors at world against 80 normal motors, is same as going to PA track with 2 non rockets in the feature. Odds stacked against. It's gonna take a little time and experimenting to see what works especially in cam department. I'm all about open motors getting cheaper cause I'm not into crate motor thing like many herds of sheep

They don't have to win at Eldora to keep guys racing. There are only 10 cars that can win there. The engines make horsepower cheaply. That's what most racers need.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    So just because it hasn't won at places that have 3-5 lm races a season their junk. 2 ls motors at world against 80 normal motors, is same as going to PA track with 2 non rockets in the feature. Odds stacked against. It's gonna take a little time and experimenting to see what works especially in cam department. I'm all about open motors getting cheaper cause I'm not into crate motor thing like many herds of sheep
    i have said all along that they are the future of the GM small block engines in circle track and drag racing , you can pick up an aluminum ls block for a fraction or a lot less than a dart conventional block and the ls is far superior IMO , i am a dealer for texas speed and they have some great components for these engines that are very reasonable priced.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Yeah i heard that and I'm not suggesting that he had engine trouble per say. But it looked like every other Baldwin engine I've seen they claim big dyno numbers but Scott couldn't get away from madden. It did not look like the motor ran good enough to contend. I have been paying very close attention to these engines for quite some time. And specifically the Baldwins. Some local guys in my area even have or had them and they just don't ever seem to back it up on the track
    ^^ This guy is a moron. Lap times were right there.

Quote Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
    ^^ This guy is a moron. Lap times were right there.
    Bloomquist took off like a rocket at the start. His best lap was .06 slower than Madden's best lap. Ultimate hp doesn't win many DLM races either. I agree. The engine was fine.

Did the Rettig engine make over 1000 legit hp? No, I don't buy it. But guess what, it doesn't need to.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1