Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Super late model motors

How long do you think it will be before the LS platform will be the motor of choice for the SLM's?Several guys have tried them this year. Baldwin seems to be the go to, making the most power as of now.

Ask Mullins their the ones that developed it and did all the R&D. I think it will depend on how reliable the motor is and how good it becomes down the road. Mullins advertises their LS Motor for around $27K. The more drivers and teams the go to using the LS motor the more were going to know about it and what it offers.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 12-07-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

I thought Mullins was the ones working on it
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Wasn't Bobby using one also from Mullins.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Weiss had one as well. There are more out there than what we know about. Pretty much all of the fast UMP mod guys run them from what I've seen.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 12-08-2020 at 01:07 AM.

At 27K it's no wonder the mod guys run them. As for the slm guys, on tour you need dependability and how many laps the motor gives you before it starts to lay down. If they get those numbers closer to the ford you're going to see more guys running them.

Seems to be alot of misinformation in this thread. Mullins is not the one who started or did all the r and d on these engines. They have been around for quite some time bloomquist ran one over ten years ago. Their are many guys running them but most don't seem to be able to compete consistently on the national level with them. Baldwin has been pushing them for quite some time maybe the longest and he advertises huge horsepower numbers but their on track performance seems to lack. He has also had some growing pains with reliability and fixing these has resulted in his package climbing in price another 10k. Jessie Stovall has run one from i think a guy named bailey for the better part of two years. Mullins is actually one of the last ones to the party but i think he knows what needs to happen to make the engines win races not just be a dyno queen. He also has the ability to do much more in house than Baldwin and others, he is the only builder i know of starting with a fresh casting and not purchasing stuff from outside vendors. His package thus far seems to run the best out of any of them and reliability seems to be what has come to be expected from his name. Babb won Fairbury with one schlenk has won a bunch of stuff with one. Peirce won at Florence with one. Overton ran one in the rum runner ride for a bit and i beleive they still have one. They are gaining steem and have alot of potential but it's the price that even makes it a possibility and at least one of those guys listed is already pricing himself out of the game. Mullins current package is advertised as a quality regional/ weekly package. I'm intrested to see what his "big" package will produce.

when EFI is allowed in DLM racing , they will become way more relevent , i build several of these a year , mostly for drag racer,s , a 419 with rectangular intake ports will make 750 hp on pump gas , texas speed has a stock ls block withstanding right at 2000hp on twin turbos , so the foundation is plenty strong strait from GM , plus stroker kits are very reasonable , i personally dont like the idea of efi in late model racing , im a bit old school , but to make the kind of power these engines are capable of and control it , efi is about mandatory , especially on pump gas , just my 2 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    when EFI is allowed in DLM racing , they will become way more relevent , i build several of these a year , mostly for drag racer,s , a 419 with rectangular intake ports will make 750 hp on pump gas , texas speed has a stock ls block withstanding right at 2000hp on twin turbos , so the foundation is plenty strong strait from GM , plus stroker kits are very reasonable , i personally dont like the idea of efi in late model racing , im a bit old school , but to make the kind of power these engines are capable of and control it , efi is about mandatory , especially on pump gas , just my 2 cents....
    Not the case carburetors routinely make more horsepower than fuel injection in head to head competition even on pump gas. The horse power numbers they make are irrelevant what matters in latemodels is drivability and a broad smooth power range. If the big number was all that matterd Baldwin ls engines would already be on the pole of every major event nationwide
    Last edited by Jking24; 12-08-2020 at 09:05 AM.

They won’t get popular until the top guys on the national tours switch to them. They won’t get the top guys on the national tours to switch to them unless they can get the drivability to match the Ford motors.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Concerning rebuild/freshen intervals, is 1000 green flag laps still a good rule of thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by bullittwrench View Post
    Concerning rebuild/freshen intervals, is 1000 green flag laps still a good rule of thumb?
    Yes generally between 1000-1200 some guys go 1500

Thanks, Is that for steel and aluminum both?

By LS ...I’m assuming you mean these: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene...l-block_engine

Thanks, Is that for steel and aluminum both?
    I was speaking to aluminum super latemodel engines. Generaly the less horsepower you make the more laps you get many steel block engine builders say 1500-1800 laps some crate guys go 2500+. It all comes down to power and what parts were used their are ways to free up 30+hp but in doing so your down in the 600-800 lap range. Everything is a give and take

Flyboy yes basically

It really depends on what stroke/CID motor you have and what brand too be completely honest. With the Ford we run 2000 laps, we could never go that far with a Chevy and didn't turn as many RPM's and was 30 to 40 HP short of the ford. 1200ish is about as far as we would push the Chevy.

I'm talking full on super engines: 430+ CiD, 875 to 925HP, 8600/9400 RPM stuff
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 12-08-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    It really depends on what stroke/CID motor you have and what brand too be completely honest. With the Ford we run 2000 laps, we could never go that far with a Chevy and didn't turn as many RPM's and was 30 to 40 HP short of the ford. 1200ish is about as far as we would push the Chevy.

I'm talking full on super engines: 430+ CiD, 875 to 925HP, 8600/9400 RPM stuff
    WOW 2000 laps! Is that common place now? Malcuit told us 1000 on our 415 Ford and 1200 we were on "borrowed time" this was in 1998 though

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Not the case carburetors routinely make more horsepower than fuel injection in head to head competition even on pump gas. The horse power numbers they make are irrelevant what matters in latemodels is drivability and a broad smooth power range. If the big number was all that matterd Baldwin ls engines would already be on the pole of every major event nationwide
    im not saying carbs want work , i am a carb man my self , but on pump gas , there is no way to control high compression near as well as with efi and timing control { ie: knock sensors } , and for smooth power curve , its efi hands down,,,,jmo

Yea strictly pump gas EFI would be the way to go. The touring guys are not running pump gas. Many swap out carbs in any given night just because of track conditions and can fine tune the carb. You don't have that flexibility with EFI . At least not until they let you get out the laptop and that's a whole new ballgame.