Thread: C知on DoD..

Default C知on DoD..

Update your schedule page to include the year that starts 24 days from now!

I'm not gonna switch over to FloRacing. I don't have the bandwidth to make the extra money spent worth while. They don't seem to understand that more video content doesn't mean anything to people that can't watch 2 laps of a feature without buffering.

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    I'm not gonna switch over to FloRacing. I don't have the bandwidth to make the extra money spent worth while. They don't seem to understand that more video content doesn't mean anything to people that can't watch 2 laps of a feature without buffering.
    That's not anybody's fault but your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    That's not anybody's fault but your own.
    How is it my fault? I have the fastest internet service available. 12dn 2up. It barely will run Netflix. The quote was 600,000 to bring fiber to our town of 250 people. Please explain how it is our fault.

Exactly why i dropped them. Flosports sucks.If they can't obtain the bandwidth to support the viewership then they shouldn't be selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb View Post
    Exactly why i dropped them. Flosports sucks.If they can't obtain the bandwidth to support the viewership then they shouldn't be selling it.
    I'm not saying they don't have the bandwidth. My issue is I don't have enough bandwidth to watch a video without buffering, and live events are unwatchable. Buffers per lap.

Hardly DoD's fault. They don't control your internet service. I guess if you want to live rural, that's your choice.
    8/13/16

I grew up across the street from Michael. I have supported them from day 1. How did this get to me blaming them? My second sentence starts off with "I don't have the bandwidth. I made contact with them just last week about a print only or limited video version. . I would gladly keep paying 99 dollars for that.
    Last edited by turnleftandgasit; 12-08-2020 at 08:48 AM.

I grew up across the street from Michael. I have supported them from day 1. How did this get to me blaming them? My second sentence starts off with "I don't have the bandwidth.
    That may be true, but your post still sounded like you had problems with DirtonDirt when you said "They don't seem to understand", when in reality, those are your problems, not anybody else's.

It was a typical response in todays age of blaming someone else for their problems.
    Last edited by Pennsboro32; 12-08-2020 at 08:39 AM.

I protect one of the most important fiber lines in America. So I am well versed in what is the bottleneck in our system.
    You would not believe the amount of effort I have put into getting our town better service. With only 88 dwellings, and 40xxx per mile build cost, nobody is jumping to the front of the line to get us fiber. We are 1 T-mobile tower away from their home service and I am on the waiting list for Verizon and StarLink. Hopefully 1 of those 2 gets service up and running here. My Verizon phone does about 20mbps here and it is what I use when our town system is down. To expensive to use it all the time.

DoD raised their prices based on more video content. I only pointed out that that isn't a plus to people with limited bandwidth.
    Last edited by turnleftandgasit; 12-08-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    That may be true, but your post still sounded like you had problems with DirtonDirt when you said "They don't seem to understand", when in reality, those are your problems, not anybody else's.

It was a typical response in todays age of blaming someone else for their problems.
    Not blaming, just pointing out that rural people are a larger part of their viewership then they are aware of and the bandwidth numbers have been fudged for years as companies cherry picked where they did their federally funded expansions. Now the low hanging fruit is picked and they are bitching about the nest egg is empty and they want more federal money.

To the original post, 2021 is up on my end.

Is he talking about a video schedule or the actual monthly master schedule like this.

https://www.dirtondirt.com/schedule.php?month=01

And what does post #2 have anything to do with post #1. It went from schedules to talking about different providers and bandwidth.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

How is it my fault? I have the fastest internet service available. 12dn 2up. It barely will run Netflix. The quote was 600,000 to bring fiber to our town of 250 people. Please explain how it is our fault.
    I would tend to think 12Mbps would run most video streams, is it possible to turn down the resolution to reduce the b/w demand? Just asking, not sure if that's possible with Flo/DoD streams. Are you casting to a device via WiFi or directly connected (like a wired PC)? You sound like you have experience with IP, but would still wonder how video streams through your router and if you can prioritize video streaming with QoS, which might help. Coming from (former) first-hand experience, you are correct about companies advertising greater speeds than they can deliver (it's usually in the fine print of the contract), but I'm curious if you're ADSL over phone line or CATV broadband over hard line cable TV?

From the link shared above I can access the schedules I seek. But using the app on my phone I can only access 2020 schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnfan25 View Post
    I would tend to think 12Mbps would run most video streams, is it possible to turn down the resolution to reduce the b/w demand? Just asking, not sure if that's possible with Flo/DoD streams. Are you casting to a device via WiFi or directly connected (like a wired PC)? You sound like you have experience with IP, but would still wonder how video streams through your router and if you can prioritize video streaming with QoS, which might help. Coming from (former) first-hand experience, you are correct about companies advertising greater speeds than they can deliver (it's usually in the fine print of the contract), but I'm curious if you're ADSL over phone line or CATV broadband over hard line cable TV?
    The equipment on top of the elevator that everyone in town gets service from is fed by microwave. It is not a steady feed like you would get from a wired service. 12 down is the max the equipment can do. I usually avg about 7mb. It all depends on what the others in town are using at the moment.

Understood. I was hoping you were on a wired service like DSL, but I know microwave service is temperamental and can be spotty. Not to mention a shared broadband like you mention will certainly suffer during peak times, which would be when most races air. I can see now that all your broadband "issues" are ahead of your router, was hoping I could be of some help with some router tweaks. With everything trending (quickly) towards streaming, I hope you can find some way to connect into the fiber loop. Our company enlisted the help of third party companies to apply for mulitple grants (like throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks), with great success. However, we started this over 7 years ago, so the grants may be drying up. We serve one of the most rural areas of Kentucky (south-central) and out of a 15,000 subscriber base spread out over 4 counties, over 90% of our customers now have fiber with our fastest plan offering 1 Gig down and 500 Meg up. Good Luck my friend, hope you have success.

I protect one of the most important fiber lines in America. So I am well versed in what is the bottleneck in our system. You would not believe the amount of effort I have put into getting our town better service. With only 88 dwellings, and 40xxx per mile build cost, nobody is jumping to the front of the line to get us fiber. We are 1 T-mobile tower away from their home service and I am on the waiting list for Verizon and StarLink. Hopefully 1 of those 2 gets service up and running here. My Verizon phone does about 20mbps here and it is what I use when our town system is down. To expensive to use it all the time. DoD raised their prices based on more video content. I only pointed out that that isn't a plus to people with limited bandwidth.
    How do you find Starlink services, is it worth buying? I find the most of starlink reviews quite useful, but I am very interested in the most independent and fair customer feedback on this forum.