Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default David Reutimann on dirt racing at Bristol....

Good read. Sorry if has been posted already.

https://www.facebook.c6825112076om/b...s/posts/155088

Warning.. Long winded post pertaining to the mods at Bristol.
    While this race has the potential to be a great event, most people I've spoken too are kind of missing just how evil that place can be. So with that in mind, some stuff to maybe consider if you haven't already from a guy that's made a lap or two (and unfortunately crashed) at Bristol.

1. Please be aware of just how well your seat is mounted. Unfortunately there some scary seat mounting configurations. Make it as strong as possible. When you think you've overbuilt its probably still not enough. There are no small crashes at this joint.

2. If you have lightweight stuff, get it off. This isn't the place for it. Wheels, control arm cross shafts (if you run that type) tie rod tubes (use a Moly option) and rod ends (FK makes some really good Moly stuff). If you can't steer the thing the wall isn't far away

3. Seat belts, head and kneck restraint and general belt mounting. Again go overboard with this stuff. Stuff moves way more than you think it will. Roll bar padding and a super thick head rest. Head pushed slightly to the left just sitting still will probably be close. Uncomfortable yes, but you won't notice it later.

4..again if you have a lightweight or aluminum component that connects the frame to an important part (J-bar, shock, etc) get it off. You will never miss it.

5..stay on top of wheel bearings, wheel studs and hubs. The loads you will experience at this place you likely never have come up against before. Most of all remember.. You will be sailing off in the corner at likely a high rate of speed into banking that is pretty excessive.. With a rf wheel bearing (many cars anyway) that is modeled off a 1970's Era Pinto.

This is just a very small list. And I'm sure much can be added. This place can find new and exciting ways to break stuff without touching anything. I'm sure guys like David Stremme, Kenny Wallace and Ken Schrader can attest to this. Not meant to try to scare anyone. But this place kinda will get your attention. 
    Formerly 66#1

Every word is true.

This should be sent out to every entry in this race. I hope they are strict on there tech for this race.

Weren't there a lot of broken wheels at the first race?

Track is supposed to be 18 degrees, how will that make it much different than eldora?

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSIDE TIMMY 39FAN View Post
    This should be sent out to every entry in this race. I hope they are strict on there tech for this race.
    Why. Are they going to tell someone they can't run a light weight part?
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodhasbeen View Post
    Track is supposed to be 18 degrees, how will that make it much different than eldora?
    The first time they did this yes, things did break (especially the light weight wheels). The second year we didn't have as many issues. The track is bigger than eldora and the way the corners were shaped it put more load in the right side to get the car to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    Why. Are they going to tell someone they can't run a light weight part?
    No just for safety reasons

I have seen several drivers post that they are attending, many of which struggle to stay on pace at their local track. I understand wanting to be a part of this event and I will not poke fun at anyone for entering, but I think advice like this should be seen by all racers planning to attend. This is supposed to be fun, I don't want to see anyone get hurt because they were not prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by ImCryn2 View Post
    I have seen several drivers post that they are attending, many of which struggle to stay on pace at their local track. I understand wanting to be a part of this event and I will not poke fun at anyone for entering, but I think advice like this should be seen by all racers planning to attend. This is supposed to be fun, I don't want to see anyone get hurt because they were not prepared.
    I'm not sure how they could have come up with a system to get the right drivers there, but they should have made it invite or something. You're right, there's going to be a lot of garbage cars there that do not belong.

If they pay the entry fee they have the right to be there just as much as anyone else.
    2021 race count
    6 events

If they pay the entry fee they have the right to be there just as much as anyone else.
    No they don't. If your car is garbage, you don't belong on a track that big and fast. Look at the incident at Eldora a few years back. I hope they have a ton of safety enforcements at Bristol.

How are they going to invite 150 non garbage hornets, IMCA mods, sport mods, 604's, 602's and stock cars. They would have to invite 25-30+ garbage ones just to make up 150. Saying someone can't come because their car is garbage is discriminatory. If the car is legal and the entry fee is paid then they are welcome to join.
    2021 race count
    6 events

How are they going to invite 150 non garbage hornets, IMCA mods, sport mods, 604's, 602's and stock cars. They would have to invite 25-30+ garbage ones just to make up 150. Saying someone can't come because their car is garbage is discriminatory. If the car is legal and the entry fee is paid then they are welcome to join.
    Who said the number had to be 150? They could have made it 100 mods, and crates. There's enough good mods/crates out there without pulling junk. This is a rare event, we don't want to watch a guy who can't compete on the local level try to race at Bristol, just so he can say he did so.
    Last edited by Pennsboro32; 12-23-2020 at 02:22 PM.

This dang "everyone gets a medal" mentality. No, just because they pay the fee doesn't mean they should haul a piece of garbage in. How you police that, I don't know... but they don't need a bunch of hacks getting hurt or messing up the show at an event like this.

Guys get hurt or killed whether or not the car and safety equipment is safe or unsafe. It's not a everyone deserves a medal or not mentality. Everyone has a right to participate if their car is safe and they pay the entry fee.
    Last edited by NeedforLM$peed; 12-23-2020 at 03:30 PM.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
    This dang "everyone gets a medal" mentality. No, just because they pay the fee doesn't mean they should haul a piece of garbage in. How you police that, I don't know... but they don't need a bunch of hacks getting hurt or messing up the show at an event like this.
    I can think of a few guys who run national tour events that I wouldn't want to be near on a place like Bristol. Guys with the best stuff you can buy. There are guys who follow tours that are in the way every week. Some guys do it for fun and I say that's ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by JM15 View Post
    I can think of a few guys who run national tour events that I wouldn't want to be near on a place like Bristol. Guys with the best stuff you can buy. There are guys who follow tours that are in the way every week. Some guys do it for fun and I say that's ok too.
    Exactly also.......
    Last edited by NeedforLM$peed; 12-23-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    2021 race count
    6 events

You think the fast guys want junk there? No. Remember at eldora a couple years ago some slow lapped car junked McDowell leading a heat

They still race against them at other places.
    2021 race count
    6 events