Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droop

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    That was 7 minutes of not really saying anything.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That was 7 minutes of not really saying anything.
    I’d say it depends on if you are just a fan or if you know and build race cars. For the fan I think it gives us a basic idea of how this works👍

MasterSbilt_Racer - Serious question. What was Droop before it was Droop?

Now is it pronounced Drop or Droop ? This guy called it drop

Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    MasterSbilt_Racer - Serious question. What was Droop before it was Droop?
    I'm not sure I get what you are asking. LM racers say drop. Most road racers say droop. Rebound is also correct.

What I was getting at is the video just told people "do x, y, and z". There is no discussion of reason, what you are trying to avoid, exception to the rules, etc. You are stuck with less drop on that Rocket because it's old. Nothing you can do.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'm not sure I get what you are asking. LM racers say drop. Most road racers say droop. Rebound is also correct.What I was getting at is the video just told people "do x, y, and z". There is no discussion of reason, what you are trying to avoid, exception to the rules, etc. You are stuck with less drop on that Rocket because it's old. Nothing you can do.
    Great points. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Great points. Thanks.
    Not to further complicate it but it is also commonly referred to as "hike" so hike, droop, lr drop all refer to the same thing just depends what area you are from. I also agree with masters in the sense that that video was all about the problems of yesteryear. I'm not the guy that says you have to have brand new everything to compete but that "tech" info was for cars that are almost 20 years old. Their are exceptions to this rule but generally if your racing with a car that's over 7-10 years old you've got a uphill battle on all fronts that may not be winnable. To put it in perspective xr1's are in year 5 of production and the modern longhorn is closer to 7. And unfortunately we're currently in a era when major design criteria changed. Kinda like the transition from leaf spring to 4bar. Alot of core things in the chassis changed and the older cars have become somewhat obsolete.
    Last edited by Jking24; 12-27-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Not to further complicate it but it is also commonly referred to as "hike" so hike, droop, lr drop all refer to the same thing just depends what area you are from. I also agree with masters in the sense that that video was all about the problems of yesteryear. I'm not the guy that says you have to have brand new everything to compete but that "tech" info was for cars that are almost 20 years old. Their are exceptions to this rule but generally if your racing with a car that's over 7-10 years old you've got a uphill battle on all fronts that may not be winnable. To put it in perspective xr1's are in year 5 of production and the modern longhorn is closer to 7. And unfortunately we're currently in a era when major design criteria changed. Kinda like the transition from leaf spring to 4bar. Alot of core things in the chassis changed and the older cars have become somewhat obsolete.
    It's not that hard to fix them, with some know-how though, Jking. We just fixed the easy stuff on our old junk. It works pretty good.

We may get our hands on something modern soon. I'm curious to see if it moves the needle.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Isn't the "don't go over 48 degrees" out dated too? I've been told that with zero index we can get above 50 degrees with no issues.

As far as I’m concerned as a fan ... go ahead and take the left rear tires off the cars... run unlimited droop 😜😁

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    Isn't the "don't go over 48 degrees" out dated too? I've been told that with zero index we can get above 50 degrees with no issues.
    Yes. Degrees never mattered. It's about where your instant centers are. Go too far, your car is essentially rigid.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'm not sure I get what you are asking. LM racers say drop. Most road racers say droop. Rebound is also correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Not to further complicate it but it is also commonly referred to as "hike" so hike, droop, lr drop all refer to the same thing just depends what area you are from.

Asked and answered, thank you very much. Left rear tie-down shock on a sprint car would be the same. Yes?

Next question -

In your opinions, why did the “droop” tribulations/rules surface in the DLM world in the last few years? Left rear tie-down shocks have been around forever. Or am I not following something here?

Nobody really called it droop until Ray Cook came out with first “droop rule”.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Thanks Josh, that’s what I thought.

On a lm, they are not tying it down. They are wanting it to come up.

The higher the lr corner comes, the more weight it carries. It also turns the center of the car into a wedge and gets the spoiler higher.

The rules? I think Ray Cooks motivation was that some people had understood the instant center issue and other people were just trying to hike higher and causing their suspension to suffer. Brains ain't fair anymore...

It certainly can't be concern over the extra downforce, because the bodies morph every year to gain downforce, while the people with rule books just ignore it.

It was explained as a safety measure to avoid roll overs. However, you'd have to bring the cars down much more to have any impact on the increase of rollovers seen in the last decade and a half.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I think the tied down right front is what cause more rollovers than anything. The car is leaned over so hard on that corner that when the RF catches a rut and needs to compress more to absorb the bump and can’t it pitches the whole car. Sometimes when that happens there’s nothing you can do but hold on.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

It's absolutely a combination of tying the RF down and LR hike that get the cars in trouble on a heavy, high cushion or bumpy corner track. I for one am surprised that we haven't seen more cars getting over in the corners. I believe what has saved them is as soon as the driver lifts the LR settles quick enough as the shock collapse's.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It certainly can't be concern over the extra downforce, because the bodies morph every year to gain downforce, while the people with rule books just ignore it.
    Most definitely agree with you on that point.