Default Lump Charcoal-Thoughts?

I have always used briquets in the grill, but I have tried to expand my horizons if you will by trying different things the last year. Side baskets, vortex cones, wood chunks and so on. I have heard from folks, seen on the web a number of thoughts about Lump Charcoal.

What are your thoughts on Lump Charcoal? Like it, great, overated, sucks, yes or no?

Some BBQ folks say lump burns hotter and cleaner, leaves less ash but briquets are way better for low and slow.

Thanks in advance.. I use a Weber Kettle. Some have said Jealous Devil is the Lump to use but that stuff ain't cheap!

Late Model Mark

Late Model Mark

I can only echo what the other BBQ folks have told you......I use lump in the egg because you're supposed to and it does make less of a mess....but unless I'm using coals from wood I burn down myself in a burn barrel the charcoal I almost always use is the blue bag kingsford.

A 22 lb bag of it will run 2 Webber smokey mountains for a solid 8/9 hours at 250 if the weather isn't crappy outside....If you haven't done this already , throw out all of your lighter fluid and buy a chimney starter.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Lump is all I use.

What brand?

LMM

Royal Oak is all I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    I can only echo what the other BBQ folks have told you......I use lump in the egg because you're supposed to and it does make less of a mess....but unless I'm using coals from wood I burn down myself in a burn barrel the charcoal I almost always use is the blue bag kingsford.

A 22 lb bag of it will run 2 Webber smokey mountains for a solid 8/9 hours at 250 if the weather isn't crappy outside....If you haven't done this already , throw out all of your lighter fluid and buy a chimney starter.
    I agree on the chimney starter It's all I use. I can tell you a funny story. We had a pretty good storm come through our neighborhood and tore downs, took out the power so, my wife and I decided to grill out since we didn't have any power and were all electric. We started the the charcoal with the chimney starter it was smoking pretty good and we have a lady come up to house thinking our house was on fire bless her heart. Her, my wife and I had a good laugh but, we did thank her for act of kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I agree on the chimney starter It's all I use. I can tell you a funny story. We had a pretty good storm come through our neighborhood and tore downs, took out the power so, my wife and I decided to grill out since we didn't have any power and were all electric. We started the the charcoal with the chimney starter it was smoking pretty good and we have a lady come up to house thinking our house was on fire bless her heart. Her, my wife and I had a good laugh but, we did thank her for act of kindness.
    Was she wearing a mask ?

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    They make for great portable heaters at a cold racetrack pit /tailgate area......and you are correct about the smoke , at the beginning they smoke like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    They make for great portable heaters at a cold racetrack pit /tailgate area......and you are correct about the smoke , at the beginning they smoke like hell.
    I'm sure my neighbors hate it when I first fire it up.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtMAN007 View Post
    Was she wearing a mask ?
    No she didn't stand in the path of the smoke so, no need for her to wear a mask.

I have used a chimney starter since the first came out. I have been told that B&B, Chigger Creek, and Jealous Devil are very good stuff. Thoughts?

LMM

Coal ? ? Was that not what some of the neer do wells on here received for Christmas ?

It's what's in the crosshairs of the green new deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    I have used a chimney starter since the first came out. I have been told that B&B, Chigger Creek, and Jealous Devil are very good stuff. Thoughts?

LMM
    Google making your own lump charcoal for an interesting read......