Default Testing procedure / practice

Any go to formula/ practices to follow to get the most out of the coming pre season practice sessions. Want get the most out of time spent on the track, best possible notes. So anything you guys strive to do leading up to or while at practice/ test sessions?Is it a worthy investment to rent the track for a day to run exclusively ?

Renting a track is far better than test and tune day. Find sombody or pay sombody that knows what to look for and make laps make changes and take notes

Depends what you are trying to accomplish. Also, hard to get a track in race condition without having 30 cars to run a 50 lap features on..... one thing about dirt racing that makes it so hard, testing is so hard! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Burke1118 View Post
    Depends what you are trying to accomplish. Also, hard to get a track in race condition without having 30 cars to run a 50 lap features on..... one thing about dirt racing that makes it so hard, testing is so hard! Lol
    Agreed but the average guy doesn't need feature conditions to get better he just needs a track that's not junk and stays consistent so that he can make a change and identify the difference aswell as identify core things that are wrong with his car. Most of the time excluding driver problems when people struggle in the feature but run ok early its because their car has somthing wrong with The basic setup ie. Inherently throttle tight or loose. Early in the night the driver can do somthing he shouldn't have to and get the car through the corner without losing to much. With the right person watching these things can be identified in most track conditions. Once these core setup issues are addressed the feature stuff tends to work itself out if you don't outsmart yourself

current plan is to hit the 2 local practice days try an shake down the car and identify some of the problems, then proceed that with a track day rental focusing on really ironing out the issues.

I talked to a local track about renting for a day and they told me $1000 dollars.
    That plus fuel and tires and all that made it out of reach. I was better off doing the testing during normal nights when a payout was possible.
    Dead last to 10th pays $200, 10th or better only pays a little bit more.
    $1300 for track testing wasn't gonna net me 15 position advancement.

its $800 here but there is a lot to be learned by having a track to yourself to pull off and make adjustments with out stress and time restrictions posses by a normal race night. We made a great deal of chassis changes last year that need adjusted and notes taken on the effectiveness of adjustments. I think the small investment might pay dividends in unnecessary parts damaged due to a ill handling machine

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy9991 View Post
    its $800 here but there is a lot to be learned by having a track to yourself to pull off and make adjustments with out stress and time restrictions posses by a normal race night. We made a great deal of chassis changes last year that need adjusted and notes taken on the effectiveness of adjustments. I think the small investment might pay dividends in unnecessary parts damaged due to a ill handling machine
    You are right. Track conditions are not consistent during a night of racing. When you have the track to yourself, you stand a better chance of running a few laps, making changes, then running a few more to compare.

Changing track conditions can make a stop watch lie to you.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy9991 View Post
    It is a relatively small investment. Most tracks allow 3-5 cars so you team up now that 1000$ is $200-$335. Also the 15 position is flawed logic. The improvements can easily take a guy that could barely finish a heat race and had to start dead last to qualifying better than starting mid pack and eventually breaking into the top five. Increase you average nightly finish aswell as reduce the damage/ repair bill by running with better cars and your dollars ahead.

jking24 this is exactly what we are trying to accomplish. probably gonna split at least 3 ways.

I will say this on finishing positions gains that CAN be had (again not everyone is gonna get the same results but these are easily possible):

I was helping a guy over email and phone for about a year (this was a really long time ago) and due to his distance away from me (8 hours), I couldn't see him race besides video (not a ton of video was available back then) and just had to go off what he was telling me the car was doing. We planned on testing but due to him building a house and getting married it got delayed for that year.

Well, I finally got out there and we tested for 2 days at a rented track (just us, so 1 car only) and sorted out his inconstancy problems and found his major issue that he wasn't feeling in the car. 4 days after that test he raced Friday, Sunday and the following Friday (I was not there so same crew and guys at the track). This netted a win on Friday (5K), 2nd on Sunday on a one lane track and he was the only one that passed in the feature 1.8K, and Friday a win at another 5K. So he won 11.8K in 8 days.

There is no way of saying for sure he couldn't have won those 2 races but his track record wasn't that good at that time. However after the testing and the 6 more we did later that year, he was one of the south's fastest regional guys and a favorite to win any regional race he showed up too. IIRC he went from winning 1 or 2 races a year to winning around 10/12 a year after that for several years.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 01-04-2021 at 02:25 PM.