Default Knoxville, IA Campground

Looking at going to the September Lucas weekend for the 1st time in a long time, and camping for the 1st time there. I understand who runs the campgrounds north of the track. Has anyone stayed at 1 of them and recommends 1 over the other? Or are they virtually the same? Any info appreciated.

I can only speak from a local point of view.

If you plan on drinking and want a close place to walk to, these are good campgrounds for that and both have a showerhouse available, I believe VanDonselar's has electric, sewer and water hookups at every site. Not sure if AJ from Dingus has camping available during Late Models or not, but if he does, those are even closer to the track.

If you aren't a drinker and enjoy a quieter campground, I would suggest Marion County Park (still in town), or Elk Rock State Park (north on Highway 14) or one of the Army Corps of Engineers Campgrounds located around Lake Red Rock (Howell Station, Whitebreast Recreation Area, Ivan's).

Link for camping on the Racetrack's website: www.knoxvilleraceway.com/Hospitality/Campgrounds

I have camped at Knoxville Raceway campground, nice place, lots of spots, the only drawback was the long walk to the track. I would call Dingus lounge to see if he has any left, I believe there are some private spots behind the Hy Vee but that would be on homeowners property.

There is a campground at the track, sometimes tough to get into. Electric sites and showers are available under the grandstands. Not sure how they are diving those out now its been a while since I camped there.

My group has stayed at the north campground with the sprint car on the pole for a number of years without issue. We also walk to the neighboring campground with the white fence to see friends. Some areas are quiet, while others have gatherings until 4 or 5 in the morning. It is about a 5 minute walk to the track, but its not bad in my opinion.