Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ice bowl

Are LM's racing today?

Yeah probably around 11pm at this rate

Those fans in the stands are on some good chit...
    Jus sayin...

lolololololololol
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    Is it really 36 degrees now?
    It was and with the 10 mph wind, it was downright brutal. This is the first time in nearly 20 years of taking photos, that I had to leave before super late models were done for the evening. I was frozen to my core. I'll get warmed up and get back at it tomorrow tho, those folks in the stands are hardcore.

To those unhappy with the qualifying of so many divisions, I am betting most of you have never actually been to the Ice Bowl.
    You are applying "Fan oriented Show" expectations to what is really a "Participant Event"

At the Ice Bowl, 90% of the people in attendance are directly or very closely affiliated with one or more cars there. When we took our cars over there we would enter in the Crate and Super late model classes and the number of cars and the more relaxed nature of the event made it easy for a crew of 3 to keep both cars prepped and ready all weekend with time left over to get a hot dog, walk around the pits and talk to friends and other competitors.

The Ice Bowl is different and personally I hope they don't change it just to suit a few internet experts.

Of course the hardcore people are going to be there. But the casual fan probably not. I used to be hardcore. Now I'm a casual fan because I don't go as often. If it's cold and a national tour event I'd be there though. Because it's a national tour.

It's one thing to be cold and racing. It's cold and they're not racing. It's cold and they're qualifying.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by usac7 View Post
    To those unhappy with the qualifying of so many divisions, I am betting most of you have never actually been to the Ice Bowl.You are applying "Fan oriented Show" expectations to what is really a "Participant Event"At the Ice Bowl, 90% of the people in attendance are directly or very closely affiliated with one or more cars there. When we took our cars over there we would enter in the Crate and Super late model classes and the number of cars and the more relaxed nature of the event made it easy for a crew of 3 to keep both cars prepped and ready all weekend with time left over to get a hot dog, walk around the pits and talk to friends and other competitors. The Ice Bowl is different and personally I hope they don't change it just to suit a few internet experts.
    Back gate vs Front gate. Depends which side you are on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Back gate vs Front gate. Depends which side you are on.
    OK if that's how you want to call it, the IceBowl is a back gate event.

Are you saying that is a bad thing and ALL races should be front gate only?

Quote Originally Posted by usac7 View Post
    OK if that's how you want to call it, the IceBowl is a back gate event.Are you saying that is a bad thing and ALL races should be front gate only?
    No. I think my local track is a back gate operation. I just call it as I see it. Tracks have to pay the bills. I just wish they would run the late models or sprints early .. and get us true fans what we want. Then they can run the back gate stuff late. I don’t buy food at tracks that make me wait till 10pm to see late models on track. Not gonna do it.

The Ice Bowl is a special event, one that is more focused more on the competitors than the fans.

If they did as you ask, and modified the format to be more fan friendly, the first change they would make is to change the date to March or April.

But if they did that, it would not be the Ice Bowl anymore would it?

If you want a fan friendly SLM event at TST, they used to have a SLM Triple Feature night. We ran it once. As racers we said never again. I had never worked that hard for that many hours at a racetrack in my life.

Just run early in the day. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells Racing Photos View Post
    It was and with the 10 mph wind, it was downright brutal. This is the first time in nearly 20 years of taking photos, that I had to leave before super late models were done for the evening. I was frozen to my core. I'll get warmed up and get back at it tomorrow tho, those folks in the stands are hardcore.
    I've been to all since 1994 and tonight was the first time I left early, I'm sure there have been colder years but I can't remember when, guess I'll swing by the Walmart on my way back to the track pick up few more clothes I go back an enjoy the rest tomorrow.

2010 was colder. Never made it out of the teens

The year Paul Tims lead every lap but the last 1/2 lap was pretty cold too. Terry English won and I thawed out around Tallapoosa, GA on the way home. Made it to part of the way down Saturday but had to turn around because it started snowing heavily. Drove down Sunday morning that year.

Cold weather and Me aren’t friends anymore.

2010 was cold I mean bone chilling cold. Add a little humidity and it’s brutal. I had called it in a previous post about the mud and looks like it produced as normal. I had all intentions of going but ended up staying around the house this weekend.

Anybody getting anything from Race Monitor? I was trying to see lap times? It’s not reporting anything and I know practice was starting around 11

Says noon on DoD schedule. 11 was the drivers meeting
    2021 race count
    6 events

Is that Roby Helm on the mic? Or is that our late model Mark?

LMM mostly