Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dirt quality Arizona vs East Coast

How does dirt in Arizona compare to dirt back East (for racing grip, etc) ?

I would say it's clay with high levels of alkalinity that is stable in pH.

I was thinking some sand 😂

The problem with arizona is theyre starting so early in the day so viewers from the east coast can still somewhat be awake when its over. The problem is, track gets so many daytime laps that it cant help but rubber up before its over.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback29A1 View Post
    The problem with arizona is theyre starting so early in the day so viewers from the east coast can still somewhat be awake when its over. The problem is, track gets so many daytime laps that it cant help but rubber up before its over.
    It rubbers because it's abrasive. The rubber forms long after the sun goes down.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

At least there running a good show. I don't like the multiple classes, today thats what promotors look at, the back gate more so than what about the fans. 2 classes of the mods is a little much but as I said they are moving the show smoothly.

And where is this great east coast dirt you are comparing west coast dirt to? East coast has the best dirt?

Where did he say it was better? He asked a simple question on the two. Relax man

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    How does dirt in Arizona compare to dirt back East (for racing grip, etc) ?
    Where east? It's all different. Maryland and Florida aren't even close. The stuff at Arizona Speedway is better than a lot of Georgia tracks, but not as good as some other places. Putting rubber down is a huge problem anymore. The cars have way too much downforce and grip. Any type of abrasive in the track, once it packs down, just peels the rubber off the tires.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I remember when tracks up north searched wide and far for good dirt. In my few short yrs living here in the south the surface I've seen is far superior than what they have up north

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Where east? It's all different. Maryland and Florida aren't even close. The stuff at Arizona Speedway is better than a lot of Georgia tracks, but not as good as some other places. Putting rubber down is a huge problem anymore. The cars have way too much downforce and grip. Any type of abrasive in the track, once it packs down, just peels the rubber off the tires.
    I realize dirt is different everywhere. You can still get clay out of the desert in Arizona. I was just curious how dirt works out there. My guess is the dirt would be better out there. Thanks.

Anything along the Mississippi seems to do very well. Southeast is not so good (North and South Carolina), of course their are exceptions....When my buddies come down from Iowa they can't believe the difference in the track surfaces.

Good old Mississippi River.

The black dirt of knoxville is so different from what guys race on.

The black gumbo out of the lower 1/3 of the Mississippi river has absolutely no sand in it and when watered right only gets tackier the more you race on it. It will pull your shoes after the features are over. The track will never take rubber and you can run a tire till it gets cut off because with no abrasion the tire never gets hot. Have run a full season and still had the titties on the tires on some good old McCreary gf-0 marsh mellows.

Don't recall any drivers I have spoken with here at the Shootout say the track is rubbering up. Did speak with a couple of the track prep guys & they are very happy with the way the track came into shape both Saturday & Sunday. Can't complain that this track is a one lane rubbered down mess.

I read that the track actually sits on state property I believe? Who owns the track and how is it on state property and not private.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by 0_VodooChild_0 View Post
    Don't recall any drivers I have spoken with here at the Shootout say the track is rubbering up. Did speak with a couple of the track prep guys & they are very happy with the way the track came into shape both Saturday & Sunday. Can't complain that this track is a one lane rubbered down mess.
    It rubbered last night but they reworked it. Davenport even talked about using the rubber after winning heat 4. It tightened the mods in their b mains, quite a bit.

The ProPower Dash was run in major rubber.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 01-11-2021 at 03:45 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

State leases it to Jonah, Jonah leases it to Chris Kearns for the shootout. Jonah's lease supposedly ends in April 2022. Rumor has it the land has been sold to a housing developer. Lord only knows what is gonna happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    I remember when tracks up north searched wide and far for good dirt. In my few short yrs living here in the south the surface I've seen is far superior than what they have up north
    I've heard many owners and racers say that their is no better dirt than in the midwest. I would think that some of that N.W PA. or N.E. Ohio clay would be good. That sht never drys out.
    8/13/16