Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why aren't the Scott bros any good?

They seem to have unlimited funds and a succesful modified background but it sure isn't translating into SLM racing. RTJ and Strickler, also modified standouts, were fast the moment they strapped in but the Scotts......well, are they just "having fun" as they say?

RTJ and Stickley were extremely successful running the mods. They've climbed in rides that is on somebody else's dollar. The Scott bros. have jumped from chassis to chassis. I don't think they gave the chassis enough time, nor do I know who is the crew cheif on the cars. The one brother I believe had 2 top 10's at the wild west shoot out. I see 1 is in a rocket and the other is in a longhorn. Rumor has it that it's family money backing them. Big difference in a mod to a SLM

They maybe modified standouts but getting into LM and running a national tour out of the gate can be challenging.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Good example of the old adage "you can't buy talent"!

Rodney Sanders is 1 of the best open wheel modified drivers of all time and struggles in a late model when he has dabbled in it. Different than what Scott's are doing, running late models full time, but success in 1 class doesn't carry over.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Good example of the old adage "you can't buy talent"!
    A USMTS mod is a lot harder to drive than a LM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

It isnt like that they are awful, they are up front a good amount. The way late models are these days, you must have all three aspects spot on to be able to win. You need to qualify great, run first or second in your heat race, then be spot on in the feature. Most of the guys they are running with have been racing late models for a while and have tons of notes, list goes on and on. The one brother jump off the tour at one point last year and ran one of those midwest series and was highly competitive.

They aren’t bad they’re just not where the upper echelon is. Same could be said of a lot of drivers and programs if you look around. USMTS has upped their purse structure for 2021 with races paying minimum of $5k and many, could be over half but not sure, paying $10k to win. Interested to see if it causes other drivers to run the series, could one or both of the Scott’s go back to that circuit?
    I hate time trials.

The Scott Bros aren't good if your expectation of them is to win 10 races a year. Stormy needs to qualify and heat race better, plain and simple. Can't judge him til he can do that consistently. Stormy is also racing racing against the best in Lucas Oil. He is not dodging the competition.

Johnny seems to be doing ok out racing regionally in the Midwest.

Late Models are a deeper class than modifieds at the top. Modified drivers have a hard time adjusting to driving hard into the corner at first with a Late Model. Late Models are harder cars to pass than modifieds.

RTJ and Strickler got really good crew chiefs working for them right now.

Not any good is kinda harsh, I should have said "why aren't they better?" No wins and one top five in the LoLM between the two of them, that's pretty rough.

Johnny is probably the better drover of the two IMO. He still has limited starts in a late model, he did win a MLRA race last year.

Stormy is probably struggling with the learning curve. The more he changes cars, the more it's going to put him behind. He has looked better than Johnny in Arizona though.

Some of you guys act like they're on the level of Blake Spencer.

both in feature tonight and one is on the pole !!!!!!
    2021 tracks
    Florence 2
    Atomic 2
    (PPV) & Streams ( 2 many)
    (MMP) 1
    (PRP) 3
    (BrushCreek) 1
    (the Rock) 1

Quote Originally Posted by DLC View Post
    both in feature tonight and one is on the pole !!!!!!
    He was going backwards before the wreck, from the pole to 4th by the second lap.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    He was going backwards before the wreck, from the pole to 4th by the second lap.
    Starting on the pole isn't necessarily where you want to be on hammer down race track.

All I know is, Brian Shirley plum shafted my dirt draft.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Starting on the pole isn't necessarily where you want to be on hammer down race track. All I know is, Brian Shirley plum shafted my dirt draft.
    He was looking fast before the wreck.

Have tended to give Shirley the benefit of the doubt but that move last night was bush league.
    I hate time trials.

The Bros would do alright if they ran series=to their talent. I think Johnny had some success in a midwest series. Many drivers can drive fast, but racing is another deal. Danica found that out in Nascar.

This topic aged well.

That seems to happen a lot on here

What if he doesn't win a another race all year?
    2021 race count
    6 events