Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Night #5 Is In The Record Books, The Prelim Events Are Over

The prelim nights are history for another year. It's always just a little bittersweet. Justin Grant and Kyle Cummings transfer to the Saturday A-main by running 1-2 respectively in tonight's final prelim night A-main. Like is the case many times, had there been just 1 or 2 more laps in the A-main tonight things might have been different. Kyle Cummings was right on Grant's rear nerf bar in turn 4 of the final lap and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. who ran 3rd, was probably the fastest car on the track for the entire A-main. I really hope Ricky transfer's out of the B-main tomorrow night. He should since he'll start up front. Ricky might just have something for Bell, Larson & Company.

Trigger alert!

I found it rather telling that the competition director for the WoO's generic dirt late model pizza deliver cars would be in Tulsa racing in the biggest and best dirt event of the year when his series is in Florida for an event down there. Certainly shows how the importance of competing in The Chili Bowl overshadows delivering pizza in FL! LOL! I'm sure Casey being in Tulsa driving a dirt open wheel car ruffles some dirt late model fan feathers. Totally understandable to those who understand and appreciate the gravity of what is taking place in Tulsa that Mr. Shuman would opt for Tulsa. If further adds to the inferiority complex of those DLM hacks afflicted with envious tunnel vision!

A Feature
    30 laps | 00:00:00
    Pos Start Driver Hometown Car
    1 2 Justin Grant Ione, CA 2J
    2 1 Kyle Cummins Princeton, IN 3G
    3 18 Ricky Stenhouse Jr Olive Branch, MS 17S
    4 20 Tanner Thorson Minden, NV 08
    5 5 Daryn Pittman Owasso, OK 21
    6 3 Damion Gardner Concord, CA 71G
    7 6 Jesse Love Redwood City, CA 97K
    8 14 Aaron Reutzel Clute, TX 87
    9 17 J.J. Yeley Charlotte, NC 2G
    10 4 Ronnie Gardner Corona, CA 68
    11 15 Casey Shuman Rattlesnake Bend, AZ 32W
    12 22 Ethan Mitchell Mooresville, NC 19M
    13 13 Ace McCarthy Tahlequah, OK 28
    14 11 Kasey Kahne Enumclaw, WA 57W
    15 24 Tucker Klaasmeyer Paola, KS 27
    16 12 Cody Jessop Madera, CA 4CM
    17 7 Bill Balog North Pole, AK 37X
    18 23 Wesley Smith Nixa, MO 44X
    19 16 Tyler Edwards Salina, OK 73B
    20 21 Kinzer Edwards South Coffeyville, OK 15F
    21 10 Brent Beauchamp Avon, IN 2X
    22 19 Lane Goodman Broken Arrow, OK 10J
    23 (DNF) 8 Luke Icke Littleton, CO 56I
    24 (DNF) 9 Jesse Colwell Red Bluff, CA 14

Another Chili Bowl is nearly history. This event has grown in stature to the degree that every year it become more epic and relevant in the world of motorsports. The Chili Bowl has taken on an aura and mystic that very few, if any, dirt racing events can equal. It's sad when it's over but the anticipation of the next January journey to Tulsa is a constant the rest of the year.

The alphabet soup is slowly simmering on the stove.

Your addicted bad. Real bad. I could easily argue we are seeing better racing at Volusia speedway this week. Just saying.

I may run a pizza delivery car but have to say that it would be all but impossible to find better racing than the Chili Bowl...an average night there would top most other forms of racing at their best.

But not late models like Arizona Speedway this week or night 1 Volusia. But most other forms of racing ... you probably correct

Right now it’s just a little too predictable. Hopefully these Big league dudes will move along and do something else on a January weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Your addicted bad. Real bad. I could easily argue we are seeing better racing at Volusia speedway this week. Just saying.
    You may easily argue it but you'd be wrong and you'd look silly doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I may run a pizza delivery car but have to say that it would be all but impossible to find better racing than the Chili Bowl...an average night there would top most other forms of racing at their best.
    Sincerely, we meant no offense to you Evel.

You speak the truth but there are meat ball generic dirt late model hacks that can't bear to hear the truth. It's one thing to have other preferences, that is human, but it's quite another to deny the truth and downplay the obvious. All I do is point out the obvious! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    But not late models like Arizona Speedway this week or night 1 Volusia. But most other forms of racing ... you probably correct
    You are joking, aren't you? If you're not, you're doing a great job of looking dumb. LOL doesn't begin to cover it!

I agree. Likewise, I love watching these tumble buggies.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    I agree. Likewise, I love watching these tumble buggies.
    Tumble buggies. That’s awesome and pretty much exactly what they are.

Arrow

Tumble buggys. What was it this year ? Did they say 67 roll overs which falls short of the record of 87 flips last year ?

Oh lord. I do remember that from the broadcast lady year 👍

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    You may easily argue it but you'd be wrong and you'd look silly doing it.Sincerely, we meant no offense to you Evel.You speak the truth but there are meat ball generic dirt late model hacks that can't bear to hear the truth. It's one thing to have other preferences, that is human, but it's quite another to deny the truth and downplay the obvious. All I do is point out the obvious! LOL!
    No offense taken... growing up I wanted to run sprint cars, started in late models then got a chance to switch (which I did). Change was short lived as I moved south and the sprint cars did not exist here, so back to late models...to old to switch back to sprints I do believe, but you never know.

No offense taken... growing up I wanted to run sprint cars, started in late models then got a chance to switch (which I did). Change was short lived as I moved south and the sprint cars did not exist here, so back to late models...to old to switch back to sprints I do believe, but you never know.
    Find yourself a Silver Crown car and come to Springfield & Du Quoin. I'll stooge for you and I'll even buy my own pit pass! LOL!

Problem is I have no money... I can find rides in the late model but don't believe the open wheel world wants to see me (not that the late model world does, I just have been around a long time and didn't tear up much equipment; although that point can be argued lately for sure)....If I hit the lottery it is on to Sprints, Midgets, and Silver Crown!!!
    Last edited by EvelB7; 01-17-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    Tumble buggys. What was it this year ? Did they say 67 roll overs which falls short of the record of 87 flips last year ?
    You were paying close attention, weren't you Rr.

Luckily Emmett has the best people in the business as track workers. The flips are not abnormally time consuming and detract from the show very little. Part of the appeal of dirt open wheel cars, in this case specifically midgets, is that you can't beat and bang with little to no consequences like some other types of dirt racing. Drivers have to take care of one another. Obviously Chili Bowl speeds are less than lethal under normal circumstances, but serious injuries have taken place. Case in point, Tim McCreadie broke his back and was laid up for months as a result of a Chili Bowl midget crash.

When qualified people have the correct equipment at their disposal, such as is the case at Chili Bowl, the show moves on quite well despite the "tumble buggies". They ran an average of 64 cars, 8 heat races, 2 C-features, 4 qualifiers, 2 B-features, and an A-main 5 nights in a row. Except for Tuesday night, which is Race of Champions night and the Saturday night MAVtv debacle, racing was completed by 9:30 PM. Flip counts averaged 11 per night spaced out over 188 laps of green flag racing. That's not counting the flips that took place in hot laps. If the flip count was an excessive time detriment it would have been much later than 9:30 PM finishing times. Anyone who sights a flip count as detrimental to the quality of the show is biased in the first place.

Plus, people gamble some big money on the exact number and the over/under of The Chili Bowl flip count. THAT's why they keep track and announce it so often.
    Problem is I have to money... I can find rides in the late model but don't believe the open wheel world wants to see me (not that the late model world does, I just have been around a long time and didn't tear up much equipment; although that point can be argued lately for sure)....If I hit the lottery it is on to Sprints, Midgets, and Silver Crown!!!
    I hope you win the lottery, Evel. I think you'd have some serious fun driving a Silver Crown car on the Illinois 1 mile dirt tracks.

CIRF
    I am thankfull of your nightly reports from the front. However I am slightly dismayed on your comments of which you are indeed entitled, you took a crack at the DLM scene by calling them generic pizza delivery cars and about Shuman's absence.

If I recall correctly you have opined on the snarky attitude on the DLM rage about attitude. My view is in the euphoria of being at Tulsa you shot a unnecessary shot at fellow dirt racers.

You can have your view that the Chili Bowl is this and that with good argument. However I think there is a giant segment of dirt racers and fans that may view these events as an equal if not bigger.

*Knoxville Sprint Nationals**
    *World 100*
    *Kings Royal*
    *Dirt Late Model Dream*
    *I.M.C.A. Nationals*
    *Williams Grove National Open*
    *Super Dirt Week*

All those races have high quality merit.

The one thing I find about the Chili Bowl is the insane amount of race stoppage due to spins, wrecks and flips, it can hinder the flow of the race. Saturday nights ultra-long action with so much down time somewhat hurts the program, in my view the talent level across the board is amazing.

You said "generic pizza delivery cars." Don't present day USAC Midgets look exactly the same. Same look, side panels, down tubes, tires, wheelbase, nerf bars, exhaust and so on? Me. I would never use the words generic on the midgets even though they look a like.

Just my 3 cents, well maybe 4. Larson is a beast! No offense to you sir at all.

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

CIRF, I was born just about 25 years to late by my figures. Open (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit, no cage silver crown would have been all me. I prefer a car with too much horsepower on a dry slick track, exactly what Springfield or DuQuoin would be. I'll check my numbers to be sure but think I missed it again....Until I figure out how to pick those numbers I will go buy my first HANS device and run the Pizza Delivery car at Bristol ( under powered and I will assume the track will be hooked up).

Problem is I have no money... I can find rides in the late model but don't believe the open wheel world wants to see me (not that the late model world does, I just have been around a long time and didn't tear up much equipment; although that point can be argued lately for sure)....If I hit the lottery it is on to Sprints, Midgets, and Silver Crown!!!
    Would you be needing a traveling cook?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

BBQ, If I hit the lottery you are my first hire! In the meantime maybe you should come with us to Bristol in March....

CIRF, I was born just about 25 years to late by my figures. Open (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit, no cage silver crown would have been all me. I prefer a car with too much horsepower on a dry slick track, exactly what Springfield or DuQuoin would be. I'll check my numbers to be sure but think I missed it again....Until I figure out how to pick those numbers I will go buy my first HANS device and run the Pizza Delivery car at Bristol ( under powered and I will assume the track will be hooked up).
    Evel, I'd love to split a 12 pack with you along with all the great conversation that would be the ongoing byproduct of a session such as that.

I'm pullin' for your numbers to come in not only for you but for me, as well. I'd have a ball stoogin' for you when you come to Springfield with that Silver Crown car.

I wish you nothing but success and fun, but most of all safety and good health in your upcoming DLM endeavors. All I do is set with my country ass planted on a bleacher seat and watch the guys like you, who do the work and have the stones to strap into a racecar. Hats off to you, sir.