Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    CIRF
    I am thankfull of your nightly reports from the front. However I am slightly dismayed on your comments of which you are indeed entitled, you took a crack at the DLM scene by calling them generic pizza delivery cars and about Shuman's absence.

If I recall correctly you have opined on the snarky attitude on the DLM rage about attitude. My view is in the euphoria of being at Tulsa you shot a unnecessary shot at fellow dirt racers.

You can have your view that the Chili Bowl is this and that with good argument. However I think there is a giant segment of dirt racers and fans that may view these events as an equal if not bigger.

*Knoxville Sprint Nationals**
    *World 100*
    *Kings Royal*
    *Dirt Late Model Dream*
    *I.M.C.A. Nationals*
    *Williams Grove National Open*
    *Super Dirt Week*

All those races have high quality merit.

The one thing I find about the Chili Bowl is the insane amount of race stoppage due to spins, wrecks and flips, it can hinder the flow of the race. Saturday nights ultra-long action with so much down time somewhat hurts the program, in my view the talent level across the board is amazing.

You said "generic pizza delivery cars." Don't present day USAC Midgets look exactly the same. Same look, side panels, down tubes, tires, wheelbase, nerf bars, exhaust and so on? Me. I would never use the words generic on the midgets even though they look a like.

Just my 3 cents, well maybe 4. Larson is a beast! No offense to you sir at all.

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer
    Mark, I will strenuously attempt to avoid posting a novel as I've been rightfully accused and guilty of many times in the past.

I only take cracks and attempts at being a snarkor after I've first been the snarkee. My snark has never been directed towards you since you've never been the snarkor.

I believe the perception of some concerning Shuman's absence in Florida was one of his lack of loyalty to the division of which he's currently employed. The attitude of some is Shuman shouldn't go compete in a go-cart/tumble buggy/dune buggy event despite the fact that it is huge in the hierarchy of dirt events and where he came from as a driver.

The snark and dismissiveness goes both ways. I've heard and read plenty of petty tribalism in the stands and on the Facebook pages of FALS and some others so I have no particular regret in posting a sophomoric euphemism. If it offends you I truly am sorry because it was not directed towards you or those like you.

All the events you listed positively have high quality merit. I've attended all that you list except the National Open and Super Dirt Week. None I've attended have the tension and anticipation that comes with Saturday night in Tulsa. The truth remains that only Knoxville is truly in a class with Tulsa. Even Knoxville doesn't have the career implications, national prestige and notoriety that comes with winning the Sat. night A-main. None of the others even come close.

In regards to your statement concerning the race stoppages you are correct. It's the byproduct of the ongoing success that comes with drawing over 300 cars to an event that is huge and nationally relevant. On a normal year the stands are sold out 5 of the 6 nights with 15,000 fans packed in the grandstands per night. Every driver is pressing more than normal. But, as the old saying goes, the cream always rises to the top. Live national TV coverage is responsible for the downtime and THAT needs to be addressed. I go back before TV was a factor and Saturday night was done by 10 PM. Last night was bull$hit brought on by live television.

Generic is not a derogatory term. It only explains how the generic appearance of racecars generally known as dirt late model stock cars have morphed from cars that could easily be identified by make, model and year into cars that all look nearly identical/generic and resemble nothing anyone has ever seen on a public thoroughfare. No matter what brand of engine they all look the same. Midgets are, and always have been, purpose built racecars that make no claim of being "stock" in any way or form. Why don't we call them super modified fendered cars, or SMF cars?

If I've been untruthful in any way point it out, Mark, and I'll gladly and humbly retract the falsehood with apologies. Okay, I guess I have to plead guilty to not being able to avoid posting a novel. Sorry.

Alright gentlemen, easy way to solve this. Midget race at TST, I haven't ran there in a number of years but from what I remember it would be a great track for them. Pay some big money, NASCAR weekend and run the late models on the next night. We may not solve the 'who is better' piece but can almost guarantee it will make some money! Bell, Larson, Briscoe, they can bring their midgets and I would bet we could line up a few late model rides for night two. Throw in Dillon, Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) and maybe even get Rico into a late model.

Fair enough CIRF, respectable answer. It did not look as if that social distancing stuff was in play last night. Always marveled at how many buns they could put in the place.

One last question or 2, how is the food, do they sell beer, and are the bathrooms overwhelmed with such a large amount of folks?

I wish I could have a midget show at TST or a USAC non-wing sprint race, I have certainly begged enough for one to the owners.

LMM

CIRF. Extended delay for track prep. https://speedsport.com/sprints-midge...r-kyle-larson/

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    Fair enough CIRF, respectable answer. It did not look as if that social distancing stuff was in play last night. Always marveled at how many buns they could put in the place.

One last question or 2, how is the food, do they sell beer, and are the bathrooms overwhelmed with such a large amount of folks?

I wish I could have a midget show at TST or a USAC non-wing sprint race, I have certainly begged enough for one to the owners.

LMM
    One last point on the term "generic". The use of the adjective generic turns some normally mild mannered dirt late model fans bellicose meat balls. It has never been used with inimical intentions but I've had many attempts at ridicule towards me for my use of it as it pertains to a particular genre' of racecar. Needless to say they've all failed since it's foolhardy to take anything posted on an anonymous message board seriously.

The social distancing aspect was a bit troubling, Mark. The city of Tulsa is governed by people who seem to put great importance on making things less easy for Emmett, his family and his crew. I have to believe there were plenty of videos taken and passed along to the local authorities. I hope there are no repercussions going forward.

The food is very good, Mark. There is a huge variety, as well. The only down side is it's a bit pricey for a clod hoppin' country boy from Boondocks, Illinois like me who's home track is Fairbury where concessions are both of high quality and reasonable. There is some sticker shock involved. I tend to believe that it's more a case of me being out of touch with going prices outside of my racing bubble than the food being over priced. There is full bar service at more than one concession area at Chili Bowl. You can get a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)tail or a shot of tequila or a wide choice of domestic and imported beers. Again, due to pricing most of our group steer clear of more than a minimum of libation. To put a package on at The Chili Bowl will cost you nearly as much as the nightly ticket for the prelim nights!!

USAC National shows seem to be tough to get and even tougher to keep when it involves tracks other than the Indiana mainstays and the season ending shows on the west coast. Those of us who have yearned for a USAC National show of any kind in Illinois are pretty much resigned to the fact that it ain't gonna' happen.

My home track, Fairbury, got two WoO's Sprint Car events in consecutive years and the people who run FALS said they couldn't make any money. I'm confident if a place like FALS couldn't financially justify a WoO's event they dam sure won't stick their necks out for a USAC National show. I really hope you guys can find a way to get a USAC event down there but we've given up on a USAC show here in dirt late model country.
    Last edited by CIRF; 01-19-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    CIRF. Extended delay for track prep. https://speedsport.com/sprints-midge...r-kyle-larson/
    The track prep doesn't account for the nearly 2 hour delay between the last of 2 D-mains and the start of the first C-main. THAT was all TV bull$hit.

The track prep problem was never an issue when Stewart in the infield and in charge of it.

I can actually live with an honest attempt to provide a good racing surface but this crap of having TV dictate when races are to be run is BS. It should be the other way 'round. I know I'm shouting into a strong wind. Money talks and BS walks but it makes it no less annoying!