Default Dirty air, clean air etc.

I just started to notice how there are two spoilers on a DLM. The one on the back, and the whole left side of the body. That being said, does having a car below you or above you in a corner ruin the handling, or one ahead and one behind since the air would be travelling right over your car? Watching the WWS it was apparent at a couple moments the JD's car was not looking all the good when he was in a pack, but on his own it was flying, same thing with Erb. When one car was going below another into a corner it seemed the best way to slow it down was to get slightly ahead and slightly above and I am just realizing it's cause you're probably taking all the downforce off the left side of the car below. If this is true, how much strategy is there in using this to your advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    I just started to notice how there are two spoilers on a DLM. The one on the back, and the whole left side of the body. That being said, does having a car below you or above you in a corner ruin the handling, or one ahead and one behind since the air would be travelling right over your car? Watching the WWS it was apparent at a couple moments the JD's car was not looking all the good when he was in a pack, but on his own it was flying, same thing with Erb. When one car was going below another into a corner it seemed the best way to slow it down was to get slightly ahead and slightly above and I am just realizing it's cause you're probably taking all the downforce off the left side of the car below. If this is true, how much strategy is there in using this to your advantage?
    It's true. And 10 years ago, it wasn't true.

The left side is a side board. The decking of the car is the spoiler, the spoiler is the gurney flap.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 01-17-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Aero is huge in these cars today and yes, traffic plays a huge part. The strategy part is more about placing yourself to make a pass than holding someone up, but a good 'spotter' can help a driver make moves that stall the car behind. Get yourself to clean air and let it eat...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It's true. And 10 years ago, it wasn't true.The left side is a side board. The decking of the car is the spoiler, the spoiler is the gurney flap.
    The whole left side of the car has a ridge, as well as the nose piece and the bottom left door always looked flared out. I'm not sure if the door is like that because the left tire goes forward and needs room or if it creates some turbulence that could cause a vacuum under the car sucking it to the ground.

Do teams do wind tunnel testing with modern DLM's?

Waste of money. Clean air is a definite factor. The interiors and roofs are a wing, the right side of the corner is a huge billboard that catches all that air. Did anyone hear what cade Dillard said, the car was almost impossible to drive. He lost the LF nose wing and the RR corner was slightly damaged.

Do teams do wind tunnel testing with modern DLM's?
    It's definitely done at times. It's not like every Lucas team does it or anything.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The whole left side of the car has a ridge, as well as the nose piece and the bottom left door always looked flared out. I'm not sure if the door is like that because the left tire goes forward and needs room or if it creates some turbulence that could cause a vacuum under the car sucking it to the ground.
    The flare helps get the air out cleaner (as well as gives room for the tire to come forward). The bodies are put on in 'yaw' as the chassis never really goes straight forward...They do wind tunnel test, on my way to work I drive by one of the most used tunnels.