Default RIP Concord Speedway

I just saw pictures on Facebook of Concord Speedway in Concord,NC being demolished. I know it's not a dirt track,but there goes another one. It was featured in the movie "The Last American Hero" when it was a dirt track,however. Great movie,IMO. Obviously based on the life of the late Junior Johnson, the movie starred Jeff Bridges as "Junior Jackson."

The track is going to be a CoPart yard. I supposed that has more character than "McMansions",but it's sad to see another track gone forever.
    Formerly 66#1

Sad news.

They had some big NDRA races there before they paved it.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

Lots of memories from the Henry Fur owned track. The Big Ten Series with the wedge cars of the 80’s. Charlie Swartz mid engine car, Donnie Moran, Jeff Purvis, Ed Gibbons , Larry Moore , Mike Duval so many more. Larry Moore won the 300 lap NDRA race there.

Great track but they haven’t used it in years for racing. They do use the legends car track next to it.

If this is the same Concord speedway, I'm thinking of they ran ISMA supermodifieds there at least a couple of times. I remember my brother and I attending one of those shows.Those cars were wicked fast on that track. Also if I recall Ernie Irvan raced there quite a bit before making it to the cup series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post

Yea thats it. Great racing there w the mods

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSIDE TIMMY 39FAN View Post
    Yea thats it. Great racing there w the mods
    I saw some great ASA and also hooters cup races there. I can’t believe it’s gone.

Back in the 70’s I talked Mr. Fur into a free pit pass.... back then that was a normal courtesy to pay to anyone who showed a business card or other ID from another race track.

Late in the show I was standing next to him on the front stretch during the six cylinder feature. He told me I should remember the kid in the #8 ‘55 Ford... Ralph Earnhardts grandson.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

A lot of NASCAR drivers have gone through Concord (d shaped oval). I guess houses will be there soon.

Default Krooser

That’d be Ralph’s son, Junior’s Grandpa.

Shame to see tracks go.

Honestly, I’m watching my kids grow and get older before my eyes. And that messes with you. Especially when ya watch old videos and see pictures.

I will say, Covid been a real PIA, but I think it’s made families appreciate each other more.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Track was already paved when I moved to the area. I watched Dale Jr's. first race there, spun out in turn 4-got hung on the edge of the track and smoked the tires so bad you could not see the track.... bomber car him and his brother put together. I can't say much, ran two late model stock races there and put on two rear clips...back to dirt for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    A lot of NASCAR drivers have gone through Concord (d shaped oval). I guess houses will be there soon.
    No houses. Copart bought it. Copart is an total loss vehicle auction company.