Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    "Todays cars are too aero dependent, we need to go back to the way it used to be!"

...The way it used to be...
    Those were killed to save racing. These cars are actually worse. Your post brings back that nothing was learned from past failures.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Those were killed to save racing. These cars are actually worse. Your post brings back that nothing was learned from past failures.
    100% correct, wasn’t that decision done by UMP?

the speeds today are slower than mid 80's when noses were closer to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by buster83 View Post
    You are kidding, right?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote not working.

Yes, ump brought the smaller cars into the rulebook.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

We need another Bob Memmer. Ol’ Sam, the track photographer and the former racer don’t have the balls to make decisions that upset the apple cart

Quote Originally Posted by buster83 View Post
    not in the slick , which is where every one is trying to gain speed......

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I know that, lol I just saw the opportunity to be a bit sarcastic and had to take it.

In all reality though, I don't see any major body rules changes coming anytime soon. AND I do still like the way the cars look now.

I mean heck, we had to use ratchet straps to get the sides of the nose drawn in enough to fit the car in the trailer on our car 10 years ago. This isn't a brand new concept. I think its cool to see small changes on the cars, ways to try to gain an advantage. Kinda like back in 2014-15 when everyone started cutting bigger holes in the sail panels. Or a 2016 or 17 when several drivers showed up in florida with half the drivers side quarter panel chopped off.

This last year or so its been right side doors jacked sideways, now its noses widened out.

It's innovation and trying things to gain speed. It's going to happen. I don't see what the big deal is.

I know that, lol I just saw the opportunity to be a bit sarcastic and had to take it.

In all reality though, I don't see any major body rules changes coming anytime soon. AND I do still like the way the cars look now.

I mean heck, we had to use ratchet straps to get the sides of the nose drawn in enough to fit the car in the trailer on our car 10 years ago. This isn't a brand new concept. I think its cool to see small changes on the cars, ways to try to gain an advantage. Kinda like back in 2014-15 when everyone started cutting bigger holes in the sail panels. Or a 2016 or 17 when several drivers showed up in florida with half the drivers side quarter panel chopped off.

This last year or so its been right side doors jacked sideways, now its noses widened out.

It's innovation and trying things to gain speed. It's going to happen. I don't see what the big deal is.
    The big deal is the cars are aero dependent and need tons of engine. It's no edge when everyone else has the same thing next week.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The first time I noticed an odd look to the nose, was on Bloomquist's car in around 2003 or 2004. I was at Tazewell in the pits and seen his car looking straight on. the RF fender was flattened out a lot and the left front fender looked like it was straight up, creating a wedge in the turns. I think that was achieving what they do today by planting the rf.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    It was really extreme on the Rocket House Car last night
    have any pics of this?

For those singling out individuals, I believe they're all the same. MD3 OR AR are the main 2 manufacturers that pretty much everyone uses. Sometimes from different angles, you get a different look.
    8/13/16

Not related to the nose, but in relation to aero and the rules: Why don't they just close in the right rear fender wheel opening and make the right side of the car one big panel? Heck, close in the front wheel opening, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JDZ View Post
    Not related to the nose, but in relation to aero and the rules: Why don't they just close in the right rear fender wheel opening and make the right side of the car one big panel? Heck, close in the front wheel opening, too.
    Because it's against the rules. They state there has to be 2" of clearance around tire diameter to body (may not be exact but the jest of it)

Not that it's stopped anyone from doing it, lol

I'm in the minority but I like how the Late Models today look and I don't want them to look like normal cars. I got into racing Late Models because I thought they looked cool and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I'm in the minority but I like how the Late Models today look and I don't want them to look like normal cars. I got into racing Late Models because I thought they looked cool and still do.
    I don't think anyone here is saying make it look like a normal car. We are saying make them race better.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

but thats how all this came to be M_R , trying to make them race better , but it dont matter to me , price wise , even with dumbed down body rules , they are out of the average racer like me budget anyway .....

Take a look at the nose on Overtons car tonight. The right is like a shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    but thats how all this came to be M_R , trying to make them race better , but it dont matter to me , price wise , even with dumbed down body rules , they are out of the average racer like me budget anyway .....
    I don't buy that. We got here by doing nothing. And now they race like crap. We got here by no rules enforcement and body part mfgs try to 1 up each other.

There was no conscious effort to improve racing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I agree , just like with shocks , h3ll , a top notch shock and spring package today will cost you more than we put in the whole car 20 years ago.....