Default Loss of front steering II

Whats your opinion for that fiasco last night at Eastbay? It was pretty comical but Ive never seen 30 dump trucks on a race track! lol

Side note.....I heard Barry Wright say a few years ago, it was from wrong tire compound.

It was something to see thats for sure. Seemed like there was enough traction to accelerate thou, but it seems like once you started sliding, it just kept going. I guess its just tire loads, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just say no...

On most dirt surface, 1300 doesn't make traction on black. You have to run those on the front, by the rules.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Different construction than a 1350?......doesnt seem to be a problem with 1350's on our local tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Different construction than a 1350?......doesnt seem to be a problem with 1350's on our local tracks.
    Not even close to same rubber. Yes, 1350 are fine on black surface.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'm sure the tire has some to do with it but that place is just crazy. I don't know if it's because of the tide thing or what but you can literally watch it change on a long caution it just gets so greasy so quick then once the grease burns off it's like a combination of deadly slick and tractioned up patches where the crumbs got thrown. Back to the steering. I still disagree that it's a load thing. I'm not saying their aren't setups that favor the condition but the route cause is slime. Steering is far more sensitive to slimy conditions than acceleration you can have a ton of wheel spin and still be accelerating at a good or sometimes better rate than without depending on the conditions. Your front tires can slip very little before you lose steering. If i had to pick a area of the car setup wise that could help in this condition i would work on the front suspension. We generate alot of heat/ grip in the front tires by misaligning them to create scrub witch flexes the tire to induce heat. Most of that stuff is working against us in this condition because their is no grip to flex the tire and create heat. The end result is it's like your driving a street car with a bad alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I'm sure the tire has some to do with it but that place is just crazy. I don't know if it's because of the tide thing or what but you can literally watch it change on a long caution it just gets so greasy so quick then once the grease burns off it's like a combination of deadly slick and tractioned up patches where the crumbs got thrown. Back to the steering. I still disagree that it's a load thing. I'm not saying their aren't setups that favor the condition but the route cause is slime. Steering is far more sensitive to slimy conditions than acceleration you can have a ton of wheel spin and still be accelerating at a good or sometimes better rate than without depending on the conditions. Your front tires can slip very little before you lose steering. If i had to pick a area of the car setup wise that could help in this condition i would work on the front suspension. We generate alot of heat/ grip in the front tires by misaligning them to create scrub witch flexes the tire to induce heat. Most of that stuff is working against us in this condition because their is no grip to flex the tire and create heat. The end result is it's like your driving a street car with a bad alignment.
    The track is part of it, at EB, for sure. Yes, the cars are crutched up on the front and could be improved.

I've driven a street car with wrecked alignment in a rainstorm. I think you are right. That's about what they are facing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

At East Bay the 1300 does not work in the black is absolutely true. The old 1100/D03 was the ticket until it rubbered the you jumped right to a D55. The blanket statement that a 1300 does not work in the black at all isn't quite accurate. For instance up north some tracks such as Stateline NY its super black and slick and you can't beat the 1300.
    Last edited by manwplan; 01-28-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    At East Bay the 1300 does not work in the black is absolutely true. The old 1100/D03 was the ticket until it rubbered the you jumped right to a D55. The blanket statement that a 1300 does not work in the black at all is quite accurate. For instance up north some tracks such as Stateline NY its super black and slick and you can't beat the 1300.
    I think it's a temperature thing. I think low temp tracks allow 1300 to work on black. Whatever it is, I know where they work and where they don't, for places we generally go. The why? Not sure. I'm no tire guy.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    On most dirt surface, 1300 doesn't make traction on black.
    I would say that's accurate for most tracks (which he said "most")

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I think it's a temperature thing. I think low temp tracks allow 1300 to work on black. Whatever it is, I know where they work and where they don't, for places we generally go. The why? Not sure. I'm no tire guy.
    For this Fla native, it was pretty dadgum low Thursday and Friday night.....lol!

Had to make a trip to (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)s Sporting Goods Fri morning for some fancy long johns!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    For this Fla native, it was pretty dadgum low Thursday and Friday night.....lol!

Had to make a trip to (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)s Sporting Goods Fri morning for some fancy long johns!
    It was kinda cool. But, I've seen worse there. I'm talking track temp, or what it does to tire temp. I smelled hot rubber, right before it bolted down, every night that it did.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1