Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Could always be worse.........Wesley Autland could be announcing.

I agree, Dillner is not all that good as an announcer. Essex seems to know what he's talking about but his style is very annoying. We've watched every minute of every night this week and both Dillner and Essex had worn very thin by Tuesday night. The only saving grace of the broadcast team is Argabright. He's not the greatest but he's much better than Dillner and Essex at what he does.

I see it this way....people have opinions on every announcer, no matter what sport. James is legendary, yet some don't like him. Dave is a Hall of Famer. Dillner has a his style. If Rich Eshelman and Rubin were calling these races, people would probably be complaining. Some hated Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip, yet he brought so much passion. Some probably don't like Mike Joy. Some don't like Fox. Some don't like NBC. I'm not complaining this week....I like all their styles. Plus I've watched it all for free.

Essex and DJ are the best in the business IMO. A few mediocre announcers and then you have Dillner. As much as Lucas oil is putting into these broadcast, you壇 think they would get someone up there that was half way knowledgeable about the DLM world.

Like many things in life what we find pleasantly palatable is in the eye/ear of the beholder. I'm personally not a fan of screamers or guys like Essex who use inflections in an attempt to spice up the play by play call. Essex isn't nearly as bad as he used to be but he still uses some verbal inflections as his style. Some like it, some don't, some merely tolerate it.

As I've posted here in the past, the best track/live video announcer I've ever heard, and I've heard a few, is Scott Daloisio who does the track announcing and the Floracing broadcasts at Perris Auto Speedway. He solidly knows his stuff and his style doesn't need the screaming or the over accentuated down speak. Scott could have had a national gig in racing broadcasts more than once but has a lucrative day job and doesn't like extensive traveling.

I dont mind them too much. Eshelman isn't too bad either besides him trying to act more like an official than announcer at times. (Always explaining the rules and taking up for calls the jacka$$ officials make) My personal favorite was Bret Emrick.. https://uponthewheel.wordpress.com/2...h-bret-emrick/

I don稚 like Dillner but grateful for the free broadcasts. I actually liked the announcer on Flo last week that called the mods at East Bay. Anyone know who that was?

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Like many things in life what we find pleasantly palatable is in the eye/ear of the beholder. I'm personally not a fan of screamers or guys like Essex who use inflections in an attempt to spice up the play by play call. Essex isn't nearly as bad as he used to be but he still uses some verbal inflections as his style. Some like it, some don't, some merely tolerate it.

As I've posted here in the past, the best track/live video announcer I've ever heard, and I've heard a few, is Scott Daloisio who does the track announcing and the Floracing broadcasts at Perris Auto Speedway. He solidly knows his stuff and his style doesn't need the screaming or the over accentuated down speak. Scott could have had a national gig in racing broadcasts more than once but has a lucrative day job and doesn't like extensive traveling.
    Yup, Scott is top notch.

Did the announcer just say that for over 20 years EPJ and Earl Pearson Jr have been together? Or am I hearing things?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtSLMracing View Post
    Did the announcer just say that for over 20 years EPJ and Earl Pearson Jr have been together? Or am I hearing things?
    Nope.... Dillner being Dillner

Quote Originally Posted by dirtSLMracing View Post
    Well......he's not really wrong.

Will all the perfect people stand up please. STFU. Turn it off and go do something else, instead of complaining.

I really liked the job Bob and James did all week, was very thank full to have 6 nights of live racing. We have come a long way for sure in exposure and quality.

As an announcer myself, we have folks who like us and our styles, could take us or leave us, and those who have disdain for our style, voice, or delivery. You can't pleases all. This stuff is not easy sometimes.

Some on here should take a crack at announcing, you may have a different perspective on things. It is easy to make mistakes, get excited, and say something lame at times.

Late Model Mark
    Talladega Short Track Announcer

I appreciate announcers that have a basic understanding of the cars, and he at least recognized the shock cover (among other parts) that fell off of Owens' car, and the shock reservoir hanging underneath the rear of Bronson's car last night.

I had to remind myself he was the announcer that some were complaining about, so I guess nothing negative stuck out to me. But I get the like or dislike aspect as a fan. I used to hate watching NFL games that Dan Dierdorf or Dan Fouts announced, but I really enjoy Tony Romo. There's something to be said for the chemistry of an announcing duo, and most certainly for individuals themselves.

Bob isn稚 as bad as Eshelman I don稚 think by far. Bob just never stops talking, he rambles just to be talking. It痴 ok for there to be some silence now and then, or to let the other guy speak. With that being said, I couldn稚 imagine that announcing would be easy, and that nerves wouldn稚 cause the best to make a few mistakes. But I hate Eshelmans style, the music over the cars, lame a$$ jokes, and blabber. He has the knowledge, but just gets on my nerves when I tune into a WOO race.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I appreciate announcers that have a basic understanding of the cars, and he at least recognized the shock cover (among other parts) that fell off of Owens' car, and the shock reservoir hanging underneath the rear of Bronson's car last night.

I had to remind myself he was the announcer that some were complaining about, so I guess nothing negative stuck out to me. But I get the like or dislike aspect as a fan. I used to hate watching NFL games that Dan Dierdorf or Dan Fouts announced, but I really enjoy Tony Romo. There's something to be said for the chemistry of an announcing duo, and most certainly for individuals themselves.
    Seemed every night they repeated the same stuff. Then they would repeat it again during the night. Could not mention Shirley without saying he won at Knowville, was not a Lucas sanctioned race, never won a Lucas Sanctioned race. Mention Sheppard, tell how many races he won last year, same with Overton. Praised Bobby Pierce like he was the greatest driver ever.. then followed that up EVER time with he hadnt won in 7 years, since he was 17.

Like a broken record..just tell what is happeneing, dont have to repeat history with every comment.

You all's just jealous them boys have the best seat in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerWon View Post
    You all's just jealous them boys have the best seat in the house.
    I am not convinced they were at the racetrack.. seemed they called the race watching the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Will all the perfect people stand up please. STFU. Turn it off and go do something else, instead of complaining.
    Yeah, Lol... You tell'em there fussy! Too funny smh...

Attempted to watch the races from North Florida Speedway Friday night, mainly to see a track I'd never been to and the ASCoC sprints though I'm a stock car guy.
    The announcer never said squat about the track. little about the racers and gave not much info about anything. All are stuff that should be said when you are announcing a nationally broadcast event. He'd get excited about every individual spin, which the camera seldom caught, and had an annoying habit of saying "There they go" with every one of the interminable restarts in all the classes, Mini Stocks, FL Late Models, Mods and the Sprinters. Qualifying all the classes ran until about 9:30 p.m.
    The camera guy was pretty much focused on the lead car in all classes and the interviews with all the winners were just dull. Just a really boring show and I gave up on it before the Sprint car main and decided my time would be better spent putting a new chain and plug on the chainsaw.