Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Four wide salutes

Does the four wide salute still get you fired up or do you think it’s worn out and time for it to go?

Worn out because it's overused

Only one is USMTS where all feature cars carry flags to Lee Greenwood’ rendition of Proud To Be An American on the P.A. If that doesn’t stir you some then I don’t know if you have any love for this country left in you.
    I hate time trials.

It gets harder to love it every day.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

They have wore it out just another way to kill more time.

Default Eldora

The horses and the National Anthem. That dang near chokes me up every time.

I could do without hearing Lee Greenwood ever again. Love it, have it on cassette I believe, just heard it so much.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I’m not into it. Time to kill it Bring out a drift car or something and do a lap or two 😜

Never got me fired up. However, when they break out from the salute and run hard for a couple of laps to reset and build just a little heat in their tires before the green always has and still does!!!

I always love the breakout but I've sat near many a parent and child who are seeing their first 4 wide and they each are in awe every time...some little kid is falling in love every time they see one so keep it goin

I think it's been worn out. I don't mind it during a crown jewel event, though.

They call it a salute. My question is were did that come from ? 9-11 or ???

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    They call it a salute. My question is were did that come from ? 9-11 or ???
    I could be wrong, but I think it originated with WoO sprints years and years ago. It’s a “salute” from the fans to drivers and the drivers to the fans.

Sprint cars. I remember 4 wide salute from when I was a kid.

I know HAT used to do it at the Shootout in the 90s. My brother leaned over to my dad and said "They're never going to make it through turn 1"......dad had a great laugh at his expense that night.

ASCOC late models used to do it with the pole position open for Jim Dunn. then it took off from there. i think, thats been alot of years ago. i think they should still do it to honor drivers that are not with us anymore.
    Last edited by rimrider7; 01-31-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    D1RT; The Original Dirt Track World Champion ! ! !

If the show is running late or weather is a factor. Do not do it. Does it raise the anticipation of the green, it sure does, so if the show is moving along with no delays. I'm all for it.

It takes about sixty seconds to complete. It’s one lap. You have to consider that most fans in the bleachers might only see one or two special events a year. Let them enjoy it in it’s full glory. For those people, it’s special. Hell, I’ve seen hundreds of them in person, but I still stand up, take out my phone and take pics and/or video. It’s a cool thing that should never go away.

I have never seen it done in sixty seconds! They usually run two or three laps before and after the four wide salute and then a lot of times they will let them run a few laps to heat up the tars or run in the track. i have seen it take as long as fifteen to twenty minutes. It's such a waste of time and is very frustrating on a cold evening.

In my personal, unprofessional, and unbiased opinion, they should start the main feature event 4 wide with the exception of the wider tracks 6 wide ! ! On the tight bull rings it would be cut down 3 wide.

I’ve never seen a four wide salute take 15-20 mins. Maybe 5. Guy who said 60 seconds is a hell of a lot closer then guy who says 15-20 mins.