Thread: 9 Degree Motor

Default 9 Degree Motor

Looking for the Pro's & Con's. Seems like theres not much info on them good or bad in our sport. Appears that 11 degree is the hot ticket at the moment.

some said they are lazy, we had one with no complaints

What kind of power numbers did you see out of it? Any idea how it would compare to an 11* as far as power or drivability?

it was a wide bore 450, 880-900ish,
    i have some 11 degree stuff, but its 430 standard bore, power wise i think there 840-860ish
    power doesn't seem to be the issue anymore, its the drivability that we always are looking for, you can put a ford style curve in the chevy's but no matter what they will fall off in the high rpm's, the fords don't fall off or if they do its not as much of a fall off in the high rpm's
    now I've heard vic has found some stuff with the ro engines but i have no info,
    Last edited by grt74; 02-11-2021 at 05:15 PM.

9* stuff is about 10 year old technology.About every engine builder tried them without a lot of sucess.Tony Clements says the intake tract is too long but should run great with something like a turbo on them,just not with carburetors.

GRT74,
    what did you guys think of drivability from your 9*? I've read that some of the later stuff that was built when the 9* stuff was still being developed was better than the early builds?
    Thanks for the input guys.

We had one, valve train sounds like its gonna come apart idling so be prepared for that. Engine had a lot of power, 867
    HP i think it was, liked to run flat out, was hard to drive in the slick. Although to be fair the car was off and never could get the traction we needed.

Overall thou a good engine i think.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by HuckleberryB4 View Post
    GRT74,
    what did you guys think of drivability from your 9*? I've read that some of the later stuff that was built when the 9* stuff was still being developed was better than the early builds?
    Thanks for the input guys.
    never felt out powered, and yes it was a newer piece, never got killed on a restart that i can remember either, ill say this and leave it there,
    if you can get a curve that you like thats all that matters, YOUR CARB IS BIG IN THIS TOO !!!!!
    if you have over 800, you can compete anywhere, but maybe eldora,knox, ect, something big and on the mat you may be down a tick, 9 degree 450 should be 850 plus hp
    we won with it, i never had a complaint that i can remember, you'll just need to be able to calm her down in the slick
    Last edited by grt74; 02-18-2021 at 07:02 PM.