Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Millbridge question?

What are the biggest engine sprints they run there? I’d love to see something more than just tumble buggies tuning at this place. How much HP do the midgets have

They don't run any form of sprint car, its all midgets and smaller. So a midget has almost 400 hp I-4 in a 1035 lb car. Millbridge does run 600 cc Micros, which are based around a motorcycle engine, as their biggest engine class. Typically many events people recognize Millbridge for are Outlaw Kart races, which are based around 450cc motorcycle engines like in a production dirt bike. The entry level classes like little Larson and Baby Busch run are based on box stock Clone engines.

Thanks for the details. I do enjoy watching the 600 micros. Maybe we can get a 305 race there some day.

If Millbridge was a little bit bigger, closer to the 1/5th mile rather than 1/6th mile range, it would work for both wing and nonwing sprints. Locally in Nebraska we have a venue that's probably a big 1/5th small 1/4 that runs USAC midgets and wing 305's, and this year a USAC regional non-wing sprint event.

I've watched a lot of midget racing over the years and I am of the opinion that the midgets would put on a very good show at Millbridge. It appears that they may have needed to tailor their track prep more specifically to the full house midgets but that is probably easy enough for them. Being a day show changes everything regarding track prep, as well.

We've seen both winged and wingless 410's at Mighty Macon, which is a 1/5th mile with stout banking, and either one of those classes do not put on the quality of show that the POWRi National Midgets or USAC National Midgets do. They have to run gearing so low that they have a tendency to wheelie twice a lap getting off of 2 & 4. The 410's are not using half their horsepower. I fear full house 410's and probably even the 360's at Millbridge would have a similar, or even worse, problem. 305's may be okay but IMHO they'd need to leave the dam wings off to put on anywhere near as good of a show as the midgets did. Wingless put on the best show no matter where they race! The best drivers are the midget drivers, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by slideiton View Post
    If Millbridge was a little bit bigger, closer to the 1/5th mile rather than 1/6th mile range, it would work for both wing and nonwing sprints. Locally in Nebraska we have a venue that's probably a big 1/5th small 1/4 that runs USAC midgets and wing 305's, and this year a USAC regional non-wing sprint event.
    slideiton, how big is Fairbury, Nebraska. The USAC National Midgets have run there every summer for several years. It doesn't look all that big, or is it?

Millbridge is way to small for full size cars. The full size midgets are borderline to much for the track, it is great for the 600 and smaller. I will say that a field of maybe 15 good midget drivers could put on a great show as well (the show in December was very good; they also learned a few things they could do to make it better). I have been out there when Hoffman tests his modified, it takes up the whole track and then some. Great little track for the small cars and run by an awesome group of people.

I love Millbridge. I hope the place continues to grow. I’m not into those rich little cup driver kids though 😜

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I've watched a lot of midget racing over the years and I am of the opinion that the midgets would put on a very good show at Millbridge. It appears that they may have needed to tailor their track prep more specifically to the full house midgets but that is probably easy enough for them. Being a day show changes everything regarding track prep, as well.We've seen both winged and wingless 410's at Mighty Macon, which is a 1/5th mile with stout banking, and either one of those classes do not put on the quality of show that the POWRi National Midgets or USAC National Midgets do. They have to run gearing so low that they have a tendency to wheelie twice a lap getting off of 2 & 4. The 410's are not using half their horsepower. I fear full house 410's and probably even the 360's at Millbridge would have a similar, or even worse, problem. 305's may be okay but IMHO they'd need to leave the dam wings off to put on anywhere near as good of a show as the midgets did. Wingless put on the best show no matter where they race! The best drivers are the midget drivers, as well!
    A sprint car without a wing is like a dart without feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    A sprint car without a wing is like a dart without feathers.
    That's exactly why wingless sprint cars, especially wingless 410's require more talent, skill and bravery than the wingers. That statement isn't from me because I've never strapped my ass into either one. That statement comes from 2 guys that have won USAC National Sprint Car races AND WoO's winged sprint car races. Take it up with them. Personally, I'll take their word all day long!

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Millbridge is way to small for full size cars. The full size midgets are borderline to much for the track, it is great for the 600 and smaller. I will say that a field of maybe 15 good midget drivers could put on a great show as well (the show in December was very good; they also learned a few things they could do to make it better). I have been out there when Hoffman tests his modified, it takes up the whole track and then some. Great little track for the small cars and run by an awesome group of people.
    Evel, were you at Millbridge for the midgets in December? You probably told me but I can't remember either way.

That's exactly why wingless sprint cars, especially wingless 410's require more talent, skill and bravery than the wingers. That statement isn't from me because I've never strapped my ass into either one. That statement comes from 2 guys that have won USAC National Sprint Car races AND WoO's winged sprint car races. Take it up with them. Personally, I'll take their word all day long!
    Drivers point of view will be different from the fan point of view. Wings are more fan friendly. Look at this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wX2WUr7x_Oc . Imagine how much better this would be with a wing. Car faster and more visual for the fans

Evel, were you at Millbridge for the midgets in December? You probably told me but I can't remember either way.
    I was, the track owners are great people and I don't get out there enough. The place was just an old, rundown kart track that they have really changed the face of. The December show was neat for sure and they say they are going to do it again (I think they should, way more pro's than con's). It was mainly a test for Elliot to get some laps and be around other midgets before the Chili Bowl...

CIRF, Fairbury is listed at a 1/5th mile, its probably closer to a 1/4 on the cushion. It's surprisingly big and wide. The speedway was going to try running Sport Compacts and I didn't see much other than a few practice laps of that.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I was, the track owners are great people and I don't get out there enough. The place was just an old, rundown kart track that they have really changed the face of. The December show was neat for sure and they say they are going to do it again (I think they should, way more pro's than con's). It was mainly a test for Elliot to get some laps and be around other midgets before the Chili Bowl...
    I was thinking you were there. Being a driver do you think the track prep could be fine tuned to better accommodate the midgets? The dust wasn't a factor but it seemed to rut up and get a bit rough. Not horrible but it was a factor. The midget show in December was well above average in entertainment value but track seemed to dig out and rut up. That certainly gives a track unique character but on the same token less rutting and smoother racing surface would likely facilitate more side by side racing even on a tiny bullring like Millbridge.

I really hope they continue to schedule the midgets in December. It will replace the USAC National Midget indoor event at Du Quoin that traditionally was right before Christmas. The Du Quoin event was done in by the dome thing over in St. Louis that they scheduled directly against Du Quoin. Just for the record I've attended both and the Du Quoin midget event was much better than the midgets at St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by slideiton View Post
    CIRF, Fairbury is listed at a 1/5th mile, its probably closer to a 1/4 on the cushion. It's surprisingly big and wide. The speedway was going to try running Sport Compacts and I didn't see much other than a few practice laps of that.
    Thanks for the info, slideiton. I've only watched the USAC Midgets at Fairbury on Flo. The place is quite racy and reminded me somewhat of Macon, IL and it was apparent that it was comparable in size. Back before the Belleville Midget Nationals went away the USAC Midgets ran at Fairbury, NE and Beloit, Kansas leading up to the Nationals weekend at The High Banks. I made it out to Kansas the last year they had the Nationals at Belleville early enough to make it to Beloit but was never able to get out there in time to go to Fairbury. Wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Drivers point of view will be different from the fan point of view. Wings are more fan friendly. Look at this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wX2WUr7x_Oc . Imagine how much better this would be with a wing. Car faster and more visual for the fans
    There are a lot of good sprint car drivers who steer clear of the wingless 410's. Kyle Larson is one of them. He took a horrible tumble at the 2012 Four Crown Nationals at Eldora. Larson claims it was that crash at Eldora that spooked him from driving wingless 410's. Drivers that have driven both usually say they feel more secure and safe with the wings. Robert Ballou is one of the few exceptions. Wings are undeniably faster but the wingless cars generally put on a better show. The safety factor is generally why the wingless cars race on big 1/2 miles like Terre Haute, Indiana much less frequently. Places like Kokomo, Bloomington and Haubstadt, Indiana are where the wingless guys prefer to race due to them being smaller and not nearly as frighteningly fast. Larger testicular dimensions are required to be really good without wings. The margin for error is much thinner regarding wingless sprint cars.

Wings. Yes Wings more better. For all the reasons you mention CIRF

The wingers are not better, and generally not as good, in regards to the quality of competition and excitement but they have the reputation for not being as unforgiving to the drivers in the event of a mishap. The respect for life and limb between wingless sprint and midget competitors is much more essential on all tracks but the bigger, faster places like Eldora and Terre Haute require drivers to take extra care as to not put their fellow competitors in undo, unnecessary danger.

I prefer watching wingless sprints and midgets on the shorter tracks. Not because the racing is so much better but because I hold my breath at places such as Terre Haute & Eldora hoping everyone respects and takes care of each other and no one gets hurt. I don't get that foreboding knot in my stomach at the shorter tracks when guys start clacking wheels, feeding each other questionable right rear's or throwing slider bombs in the corners.

If anyone can find 25 laps of better A-main racing than the USAC National Midget portion of the 2019 Four Crown Nationals at Eldora I'd like to see it. I've seen some just as good but not better! It's the best A-main I've ever seen at Big E and I've been to over 20 World Hundreds and several Dreams and a few Kings Royal's.

We were in the stands for this race and a lotta' people, including myself and my wife, were holding their breath from start to finish hoping no one did anything stupid. Luckily they didn't!

Cars are just not exciting even when the racing is good. It’s kinda like crate sportsman vs late model. Just not strong enough to create excitement for fans. Fun to drive and all though.

Forgive me for saying so but you're probably not really be a race fan if that video doesn't show some of the most exciting racing humanly possible. I've never interacted with a true dirt racing fan, regardless of their preferences, who doesn't express appreciation for the quality of competition! It's really not clear what you're expectations are or if they're realistic. No full bodied car of any kind could maneuver and race in such an exciting and breathtaking manner, especially at Eldora. You know it and I know it.

Its either some sort of blind bias or you're a conveniently unaware contrarian 'cause that video is great racing and I think you know it but won't admit it. Either way attempting to understand is no longer worth the bandwidth.