Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nothing personal but those things are honestly just tumble buggies to me. Good term for them 👍. Not my thing.

Midgets are bad a@# for sure, wish I had taken the time to follow them more. CIRF, thank you again for sharing.

CIRF, As you said the '19 Four Crown midgets were about as good as it gets and it's definitely a breath holder watching the little cars on the Eldoras of the country. Personally, I much prefer them on the Millbridges. Never been there and likely never will but we've got our own 1/5 dirt out here in Orland Speedway, a steeply banked small town small track north of Chico that regularly runs the 250 and 500 micros and it tops almost every kind of racing anywhere. Put 12-20 of them on it and 3 or more lead changes per lap were the norm.

We often ran Silver Dollar Speedway on Friday night with the Super Stock, then stayed over to run at Orland on Saturday, again with the SS. Never changed a gear or hardly anything to run there and were way over geared, only turning about 6,500 rpm compared to 7,400 at Silver Dollar. Difference was at Orland, if you had the nerve (we did) you just put your foot to the floor and never lifted or touched the brakes. Ten or 15 of the big cars on the tiny track got awfully crowded and a few wrinkled body panels were normal but it was a a ton, or should say ton and a half of fun. My son, many years ago, got his first clean sweep there, something I never accomplished, winning the dash his heat and the main lapping up to second place. The grin he had was priceless.

Unfortunately, our class hasn't been scheduled for a few years and with the Covid thing they didn't open at all last year. Hopefully this year will see them reopen and, if we're invited back we'll be there in a flash. It's a perfect example of what Saturday night hobby type racing once was.

Hopefully you can get back to racing soon. The type of racing you do looks like a lot of fun👍

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Midgets are bad a@# for sure, wish I had taken the time to follow them more. CIRF, thank you again for sharing.
    When I was fresh out of school and prior to marital bliss I was involved with a multi-time championship dirt late model team. I was so immersed in that whole world I was totally blind of how good dirt open wheel racing really is. How brave, talented and skillful the really good drivers of those divisions are!

I befriended a now hall of fame driver who won races in 4 or 5 different types of racecars. Midgets and dirt late models were just 2 of the different divisions he won in. Watching him opened my eyes, big time.

That video of the 2019 Four Crown Midget A-main is some of the best racing I've ever had the privilege of witnessing. I've seen some great stuff of every division but that one is AGAIG's!

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    CIRF, As you said the '19 Four Crown midgets were about as good as it gets and it's definitely a breath holder watching the little cars on the Eldoras of the country. Personally, I much prefer them on the Millbridges. Never been there and likely never will but we've got our own 1/5 dirt out here in Orland Speedway, a steeply banked small town small track north of Chico that regularly runs the 250 and 500 micros and it tops almost every kind of racing anywhere. Put 12-20 of them on it and 3 or more lead changes per lap were the norm.

We often ran Silver Dollar Speedway on Friday night with the Super Stock, then stayed over to run at Orland on Saturday, again with the SS. Never changed a gear or hardly anything to run there and were way over geared, only turning about 6,500 rpm compared to 7,400 at Silver Dollar. Difference was at Orland, if you had the nerve (we did) you just put your foot to the floor and never lifted or touched the brakes. Ten or 15 of the big cars on the tiny track got awfully crowded and a few wrinkled body panels were normal but it was a a ton, or should say ton and a half of fun. My son, many years ago, got his first clean sweep there, something I never accomplished, winning the dash his heat and the main lapping up to second place. The grin he had was priceless.

Unfortunately, our class hasn't been scheduled for a few years and with the Covid thing they didn't open at all last year. Hopefully this year will see them reopen and, if we're invited back we'll be there in a flash. It's a perfect example of what Saturday night hobby type racing once was.
    over, I too prefer the small cars at shorter venues. The excitement of competition is generally more consistently good at places like Macon and Belleville, Illinois than it is at Eldora and Belleville, Kansas. But that 2019 A-main at Big E is one for the ages no matter what your track size and race car type preferences are!!

The experience you speak of at Orland sound like one of those once in a career highlight reel. I would guess that even today that night brings smiles to the faces of all involved! Glad you shared that experience here!

I think I've already posted this to you but here goes again. If the covid19 thing is under control and the tracks are operating and we feel comfortable we're coming out to west for the USAC Midgets at Placerville and Turkey Night at Ventura. Ventura is a 5th mile and the midgets put on an exemplary show at Mr. Naylor's track. Hope it all works out, and if it does it would be cool to hook up with you out on the left coast. There will be 4 or 5 in our group and we'd love getting advice on where to go and what to do in that part of California when we're not at a racetrack!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Nothing personal but those things are honestly just tumble buggies to me. Good term for them . Not my thing.
    Again, it's safe to say you're not really a race fan. The only clear conclusion is that you like or dislike certain types of race cars not the racing itself.

You're participating in the wrong section if dirt open wheel racing isn't your "thing". It's also unclear exactly what your "thing" is.

Enjoy your perception of great racing, whatever that may be! LOL!

Well. I do like the Winged sprint cars and plan on following the Carolinas Sprint tour this year and going to as many races as possible. These folks put on a great show.

CIRF, you have to understand the area he is from. Great racing around here is few and far between, especially open wheel. The dirt is not like midwest dirt, compound the racing formats that promote single file racing and you get very little passing. Great people and some great drivers in the area, but the shows are not what you will see in other parts of the country.

CIRF, you have to understand the area he is from. Great racing around here is few and far between, especially open wheel. The dirt is not like midwest dirt, compound the racing formats that promote single file racing and you get very little passing. Great people and some great drivers in the area, but the shows are not what you will see in other parts of the country.
    From you as a competitor what is, in you opinion, the problem with the clay composition that works against good racing in the area you speak of? It seems that some Georgia and most Florida tracks are conducive to good racing whether it be fendered or open wheel cars.

The mystery to me is how anyone could watch the Four Crown Eldora video and say with sincerity that the racing that took place was not good. It's one thing to not be particularly interested in the drivers or even the cars. The truth is, that is undeniably some good stuff!

CIRF. Those cars just do not impress me enough for me to spend money going to or spend time following them. It’s pretty much that simple and yes it’s true they don’t race around here much at all. The USCS and the Carolina series does come through on a regular basis and I try to go to as many of those races as possible. I grew up at Lernerville watching Outlaws.

I'm an idiot for bothering to continue to respond with logic but here goes anyway. Whether you're impressed with the cars or not is a matter of personal preference and justified. It's a whole other display of either ignorance or convenient selective bias to say the racing in the video of Eldora isn't exciting and a breathtaking display of driving skill, talent and testicular dimensions. Your sincerity further comes into question due to the fact that your hanging out in a section that is dedicated to a form of racing that you claim is not worthy of your attention. Kinda' odd, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    From you as a competitor what is, in you opinion, the problem with the clay composition that works against good racing in the area you speak of? It seems that some Georgia and most Florida tracks are conducive to good racing whether it be fendered or open wheel cars.The mystery to me is how anyone could watch the Four Crown Eldora video and say with sincerity that the racing that took place was not good. It's one thing to not be particularly interested in the drivers or even the cars. The truth is, that is undeniably some good stuff!
    I think it has to do with the amount of sand in the dirt. They call it 'clay' (and there are places that have clay), but most of the tracks around here are not clay. It is really crazy how dusty the tracks can get and still have moisture, red 'fog' into the stands. As you get up into Virginia or over to Tn the soil changes. Wythe is less than two hours away and one of the best surfaces you will see. The other part is the shows tend to be practice, qualify, and feature (heads up starts). Wonder why its a train race with that format?Watch Blaney testing a 410 at Wythe if you get a chance (youtube), that racetrack is one of the best in the country (and it is a half mile...).

I'm an idiot for bothering to continue to respond with logic but here goes anyway. Whether you're impressed with the cars or not is a matter of personal preference and justified. It's a whole other display of either ignorance or convenient selective bias to say the racing in the video of Eldora isn't exciting and a breathtaking display of driving skill, talent and testicular dimensions. Your sincerity further comes into question due to the fact that your hanging out in a section that is dedicated to a form of racing that you claim is not worthy of your attention. Kinda' odd, don't you think?
    Hmmm. As a fan I enjoy Winged Sprint cars. I think I made that clear. The purpose of the thread was to see what future may bring to Millbridge.
    Last edited by Rajflyboy; 02-18-2021 at 08:37 PM.

I think it has to do with the amount of sand in the dirt. They call it 'clay' (and there are places that have clay), but most of the tracks around here are not clay. It is really crazy how dusty the tracks can get and still have moisture, red 'fog' into the stands. As you get up into Virginia or over to Tn the soil changes. Wythe is less than two hours away and one of the best surfaces you will see. The other part is the shows tend to be practice, qualify, and feature (heads up starts). Wonder why its a train race with that format?Watch Blaney testing a 410 at Wythe if you get a chance (youtube), that racetrack is one of the best in the country (and it is a half mile...).
    Thanks a bunch for the clarifications. I take much more stock in information coming from a guy that actually straps his ass into a racecar than I do even my own bleacher jockey opinion.

I'll take a look at the video you reference. Is Wythe a true half mile? If it is it's an endangered species. True half miles are becoming fewer and farther between.

Good luck this season and all your future seasons, Evel! I'll be watching all the Bristol dirt activities so let us know which car to look for!!

Thanks a bunch for the clarifications. I take much more stock in information coming from a guy that actually straps his ass into a racecar than I do even my own bleacher jockey opinion.I'll take a look at the video you reference. Is Wythe a true half mile? If it is it's an endangered species. True half miles are becoming fewer and farther between.Good luck this season and all your future seasons, Evel! I'll be watching all the Bristol dirt activities so let us know which car to look for!!
    No problem, and trust me, I put no more stock into my views than others-but do enjoy the banter back and forth. As for Wythe, it is very close to true half mile for sure-big banking and wide. Barring I do not get canned before Bristol I will be in the black 7 car (yellow numbers) in 604 crate (actually it may have to be m7).

No problem, and trust me, I put no more stock into my views than others-but do enjoy the banter back and forth. As for Wythe, it is very close to true half mile for sure-big banking and wide. Barring I do not get canned before Bristol I will be in the black 7 car (yellow numbers) in 604 crate (actually it may have to be m7).
    I will be looking for you. Are you running Carolina speedway next week by chance?

Never know for sure, I do fill in for a friend of mine in the Blue Ridge occasionally but think he is all set for next weekend. I think it will be a good show (minus the dust).

I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully we have good weather.

We'll be watching for you, and again, best of luck at Thunder Valley and throughout the season!

Since this is a Millbridge page, Ty Gibbs got his first ever win in the box stock class at Millbridge. Kicked their a@# on the road course at Daytona yesterday!