Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smooth 32 View Post
    Anybody know of a track in Arkansas in the Ravenden, Imboden area along 412? It was there back in the late 70's early 80's maybe it still is? Don't remember what it was called...
    I remember a story about or an interview with Mooney Starr that said he got his start racing at the Imboden Speedway. I can't find a record of the track online anywhere,and I even tried playing around with old aerial views to find it. My wife's cousin actually married a girl from there,and is a doctor in the area. My wife's aunt and uncle actually moved up there also. They couldn't care less about racing however. My wife's cousin also worked as a pharmacist in Tazewell,Tn at one time also!
    Formerly 66#1

AllenK, somehow the name Spring River Speedway comes to mind. I want there once. Years latter when back in that area it was gone and I could never find anything on it... Is there a "spring river" that runs through there by chance that you know of?
    Went there. Years later. fixed it for ya.
    Try hooked on phonics 😁😉

See if this works.

(36.2400759, -91.2651571)

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSIDE TIMMY 39FAN View Post
    Went there. Years later. fixed it for ya. Try hooked on phonics 
    You get that slut mother of yours to bed yet bich?HAHAHAHAHAHA

Always heard it was right outside town in a curve.

Default Tracks

Challenger, as one I’ve been to that was great.

Pennsboro, been there, racing was not good, but that atmosphere, you can’t make that sh!t up. Would definitely go back.

Atomic in TN as one I never got to, and definitely regret.

Kentucky Lake as one that just should have made it, but bad management, and then the highway, doomed it.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Challenger for me.

How about one that 'almost was', the Eldora Mile!!!

Pennsboro or Challenger. Heard so many great and interesting stories about both places.

I assume you guys are meaning Challenger Raceway that was in Jacksonville PA? Found this interesting post on FB from a guy that visited the owners.

"The Challenger Raceway
    Located 6.4 miles southwest of US 422 on SR 286, then one mile north of McIntyre road was the Challenger Raceway.
    This 4/10 mile clay oval opened in 1992 by track owners Donna and Jack Lentz. The Challenger Raceway roared to life and become more and more popular with every passing year.

In 1995, Ken Schaltenbrand, from Sarver, Pa., was fatally injured when his car rolled over in turn 1.

In 2001 they raced weekly on Saturdays but included five special event shows on Sundays.

One visit noted was from the World of Outlaws Late Model series event on July 5, 2004 where a field of 56 cars were present. Davey Johnson picked up the $10,000 victory.

Their most popular event at the Speedway was Fall Fest in October. This multiple day show brought in large car counts and the grandstands were generally full.

What ultimately lead to their downfall was that the flagger nearly died after being struck by a race car going in the opposite direction and the track underwent some lawsuits.

In 2004, the parents of a 16-year old boy who got severely burned when an auto racing fan (who was drunk) threw gasoline on a campfire sued the racetrack. They sought unspecified damages and payment of medical bills from the track owners. They claimed that the track owners were careless and negligent by permitting race fans to drink alcoholic beverages in the raceways camping area “to a degree that renders them intoxicated” and failing to properly supervise the campers. (http://www.archive.triblive.com/.../...-of-burned.../)

The article does not speak of the outcome, however, I was able to speak to the current owner myself during our visit. He said that the burnt boy’s family won the lawsuit. Shortly after the parents sued, the drunk fan did as well. This put the Challenger Raceway down severely. So bad that the owners nearly lost their farm and home. After the 2008 season, the gates were permanently closed. They were devastated.
    He said that during all of 2009 he refused to go up to the track and see it.

It’s clear to me that this family took pride and loved their Speedway, but after everything that had happened, they could no longer continue. The track is NOT for sale as the family has a deep emotional connection to it. The flagger getting hit was not the reason for closing as it was a family decision.

Ran: 1992-2008
    Size: 4/10 mile dirt oval "

Was it called Spring River Speedway? I see on Google maps there is a spring river that runs through near there.
    I was looking more towards the Imboden side,but I believe that might be the track. However, just up the road at 36.24491461613858, -91.27049797119315 there appears to be what looks like a track also. It's on the site of the Rone Auto Salvage? As I said my wife's uncle,her Dad's brother,just up and moved up there to Ravenden to be near his son a few years ago. He's even buried up there. His wife and my wife's Dad's sister had a spat that caused them to be estranged from the rest of the family for the last 50 years or so. My wife's cousin who lives in Imboden is actually a Dr. in Pocahontas,Arkansas just up the road. There was also a track there for many years,but I never went there either.
    Formerly 66#1

Default @weatherman

The straw that broke the camel’s back was when a street stock racer pissed off at a call decided to hit an official with his race car. The track closed for good the following year.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Default Bayko

He found things I never knew.(weatherman)

Knew the street stock guy being a moron was a huge reason. Had no idea a kid got burned. I understand them suing for medical bills etc, the drunk guy, fuk him. I never put gas on a fire, just so stupid.

Also didn’t know Schalterbrand died in 95 there. Is there a son racing by chance?

I know the Lentz’s took great pride in their track. He would help prepare it. I swear he had a smooth drum roller he used. Fantastic place. I totally understand why they quit running it. They were older then, they certainly didn’t need all the headaches and that when they were just trying to have pride in their track. I know they cared. It showed.

Hopefully they will let family run it again someday if that is their wish, though I get it if they don’t. Darn shame, but I get it.

I didn’t realize it was open till 08’.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

@Josh Bayko

I think the article mentioned the incident of the flag man getting hit. That’s crazy for sure. Looked like an awesome joint from the videos I found on YouTube of it.

Growing up in Wisconsin and not making it to Hales Corners ever. That's a regret.

There's a great YouTube video of a night when Ken Schrader came up from the Brickyard to race a LM. He got there late, maybe just in time for the feature and had to start in the back. Watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrStgrfUHBE
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Cnb, that's his son Kenny that races lernerville. Kenny's nephew just started racing supers last year right out of go karts.

Thunder Ridge in east Ky. Went 1 time cause had to work all the time. Wish I had got to go more,it was a nice place.
    2021 tracks
    Florence 2
    Atomic 2
    (PPV) & Streams ( 2 many)
    (MMP) 1
    (PRP) 3
    (BrushCreek) 1
    (the Rock) 1

The big G, Gaffney before it was shortened. Actually, I visited there many times. So, technically, I broke the rules, but I still miss it.
    Last edited by Stefan2k20; 02-17-2021 at 07:46 PM.

I watched a few races at Atomic from the westbound I40 on ramp....cop made me move once.

I made Metrolina once along with I-77 and Rennsalear, IN.

Was a regular at Hales, Cedarburg and Slinger when it was dirt.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Metrolina is probably the closest track to me but I don't miss it much (went end over end, out of the park there)....But it is a shame that it is now officially gone....