Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    Cnb, that's his son Kenny that races lernerville. Kenny's nephew just started racing supers last year right out of go karts.
    Thanks man, I knew there was a Schalterbrand driving still, had no idea about the circumstances.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Jack Lentz was a good man, along with his wife. 2 of the nicest people you would ever meet. You ever hear that story of being to nice because eventually you'll get burned. I was there the drunk was a a**hole, some things got settled just as they did in old times. The guy that drove the water truck thought he was superman and wanted to throw punches to settle things. A friend of mine grabbed him out of that truck and he got some decent flight time. Jack and Donna are to old now. The track is still there. I doubt if it ever gets reopened. A shame.

Drive by it every year heading to the DTWC. Pennsboro

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Ditto on Bureau Co.even tho I've been there. Santa Fey is one I wished I had attended. Just never got there.
    What's the scoop on bureau county? I see on Google earth the track is still there, it just looks like it's used for a demo derbys now. Why didn't it survive?

Metrolina. Very good pick for me. What year did that place close?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Metrolina. Very good pick for me. What year did that place close?
    Late 90's, I don't remember there being any races after 2000....

Thanks. I came to Charlotte from Fayettnam in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    A lot of history was made at the old Anniston Alabama speed way , it was a bit before my time but would have loved to have witnessed a race there , It closed and when i was about 15 years old , they converted the old freemans motocross track down the road at Eastaboga into what is now TST , I knew a lot of the old timers that raced there and heard many , many old stories from them , most have passed now....
    Same here Fastford, before my time. I can still remember the old timers talking about "Fletcher Ford", Don't know who he is and never seen him race, but he impressed the heck out of some old time racers. Also I did go to Granny's speedway in White Plains one time, but don't remember much about it other than Roscoe Smith won in "A-car" and a 15 year old Clint Smith running in B-car. Would love to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    I've read about the track at Hoke's Bluff,Alabama and looked at it on Google Maps. It had to be a bad fast place especially in the original configuration.

It only lasted a couple of years,but the Memphis-Arkansas Speedway in Lehi,Arkansas would be on my list. 1.5 mile dirt track that hosted Nascar races in the 1950's. The track is easily viewable on Google Maps,and you can see the banking from I-40. The last few times we've gone by I've noticed that large no trespassing signs with video surveillance warnings have been added around the track. Also,the El Paso and Wynn Stadium 1/2 mile tracks in Arkansas.

Pennsboro for the atmosphere.
    I wish I could have seen one on the 5/8's configuration myself. Went once after the Gibb's shortened it, and the race sucked. Micky Gibbs half tracked the 6 or 7 cars that were there until he broke. Can't remember who won.

Thumbs up

Riverside Speedway in South Carolina.
    West Minister Speedway in South Carolina.
    7 Flags Speedway(West Atlanta Speedway) in Douglasville Georgia.
    Golden Isles Speedway(The big layout) in Brunswick, Ga.
    Atomic Speedway in Knoxville, TN.
    Lakewood Speedway(Smokey and the Bandit) Atlanta GA.
    Athens Speedway in Athens GA
    Cherokee Speedway(Big Layout) Gaffney SC

never saw it, pops told me about it Glen Este Speedway...east side of Cincy. Track I miss is Tri-county Speedway, north side of Cincy...(B4 it got paved Queen City). Saw some great ARCA 300 lappers there...where 2 or 3 racers still be fighting for the win after all them laps!!! Clay City that was a nice track too! Loved them old Chargers with the hi-rise manifold & dual carbs on them!!!
    Last edited by racerx99; 02-24-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Cleveland Speedway. My husband and I met there 11 1/2 years ago. Our little boy is 9 1/2 now and loves racing. We wished we could take him to where Mom and Dad first met.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by babybird1972 View Post
    Cleveland Speedway. My husband and I met there 11 1/2 years ago. Our little boy is 9 1/2 now and loves racing. We wished we could take him to where Mom and Dad first met.
    Yep, I forgot about Cleveland Speedway, it was a good'un and shouldn't be gone. Even raced in kart race there once against Riley Hickman.

Just remembered another one I loved, Green Valley Speedway Alabama.

Google maps are really one of the most advanced navigation services today, thanks for reminding about this service. For future, if you don't know how to use a google product, just use these contacts https://google.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html for the quickest solution.

You have to be a member to see the pics,but someone got permission to go inside the track at Lehi,Arkansas and take pictures. Just a couple of pictures of the banking,but they were some of the first pictures of the inside of the track I had ever seen. It was definitely banked like a superspeedway!
    Formerly 66#1

Santa Fe in Illinois is one I'm sorry I never got to see. Between the stories from my late friend who grew up just down the street in Hinsdale and many other sources it was the place to be back in the day. Some legendary drivers came out of the joint.

The Delta Bowl down in Mississippi. We had a race scheduled there, however it was canceled a few weeks beforehand-always hated we didn't get to run.

Crandon speedway crandon wi

Yep, Atomic in Tennessee or Barren County in Kentucky for me.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...