Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mike Head - not so good

Messages in GA say Mike Head is in bad shape. He's at home.

Mike Head is ???

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Mike Head is ???
    A legend to some around georgia and alabama. When I was just starting my racing, The Headman, was in his prime. The late 80's and early 90's he was one of the guys you had to beat. I'll never forget making a Hav-a-Tampa late model race at EAMS my first year in a late model. I was racing with some guy in the back and thought I was doing pretty good for a rookie and Head and someboy else lapped us racing for the lead. Head came by on the outside sideways and half off the track and was gone. I knew I had some work to do then.

Mike Head is ???
    SMH... The HEADMAN! 2010 National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee!

Prayers for the legend and his family. So sad.

Won the 1990 North/South 100
    Scott Kleindorfer

Hope things get better for him and family
    Scott Kleindorfer

Not only a great racer but overall person as well. Big influence in the sport for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    SMH... The HEADMAN! 2010 National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee!

Prayers for the legend and his family. So sad.
    Forgive them

Dunno if I ever did see Mike race, maybe at Pennsboro, but I dunno if he ever went there. I wanna say I never did.

Sad to hear, I remember him from different articles, results, the memorial for his boy.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Forgive them

Dunno if I ever did see Mike race, maybe at Pennsboro, but I dunno if he ever went there. I wanna say I never did.

Sad to hear, I remember him from different articles, results, the memorial for his boy.
    When did you first start going to Eldora? He was a mainstay there for the big races

So sorry to hear that, he was/is a pretty cool dude. Goy to interact with him during those Havatampa days!

Cool story.......After GRT lost their mojo, in the late 90's, we parked beside Mike at a race at Thunderbowl. We were comparing our struggles with our grt as well, and Mike said........Joe better get in his blankety blank helicopter and come fix my racecar!

Mike Head is ???
    One of the coolest moments in my 40-ish years of attending big time DLM events around the country, and especially at my home track Florence Speedway, was ... Mike Head winning the North/South 100 in 1990. I still remember every moment, including his post-race interview. It was amazing. I still get chills. Wow.

Sorry to hear, but I praise you guys for the good words you have bestowed apon him. Good job guys. I came from Pennsylvania and was more of a sprint car and modified guy back in the day.

I remember the year Mike won the north south 100 I wasn't there we always went to Jackson 100 which back then was the week after the north south we got to brownstown pits an ther were so many people standing around his car you could barely see the car you know Ronnie Johnson bought his first car from mike head.

Anybody remember the Rick’s Furniture Super Series back in the late 90’s ? I seen Mike Head hand a lot of people their a$s in that series at Pine Ridge in Baldwyn, Ms and up in Tennessee at Atwood and Garnertown.

Sad to hear! Great racer! One of the best races I ever saw was between Mike and John Jones at Rome! Get well Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by TeNfOMaFiA69 View Post
    When did you first start going to Eldora? He was a mainstay there for the big races
    I think 96’, but to be honest I don’t remember much, other than I believe Moyer and Moran won the first two I was at.

Like I couldn’t tell you some of the more regional guys that were there.

One that does stick out is Wade Knowles I think won a heat or got second, then was light at the scales. Just don’t remember Mike there.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Anybody remember that big one piece hauler he used? I always thought that thing was cool. 10 or so years ago he would come down to Dixie and had a couple guys he was helping race. I came around in the later years of his career but still got to see him race a good bit.

Mike is an one of my all time favorites. From a hell raiser to a man who’s life changed for the better later in life he’s always been who he is. Watched him race against my heroes when I was young and my friends as I got older, and always thought the pits were a better place with him in them. Stubborn, hard nosed, and harder to pass, but always driving his heart out. A racer’s racer.

Numerous stories, saw slow roll at NGS one night and when they flipped him over he realized the car was ok, so he just went to tail and kept on going. Saw him also at NGS the night his son died elsewhere. Saw him in the pits everywhere from Mississippi to Eldora. He’s just everything I loved about the sport back then. That rig has to have a million miles on it.

Fight hard 54! Prayers for a positive healthy outcome.

CnB, he ran the rayburn house car at Eldora in 99 and 00. He made the world in 99, and made the dream in 00. I believe that was the only time he ever made those races. I do remember seeing him there in familiar 54 prior to him being in the 1CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    CnB, he ran the rayburn house car at Eldora in 99 and 00. He made the world in 99, and made the dream in 00. I believe that was the only time he ever made those races. I do remember seeing him there in familiar 54 prior to him being in the 1CJ.
    I missed a couple, I graduated in 2000. Between college and partying, I don’t doubt I missed at least 2000, but I think 99’ too.

Ty for the information, I’ve only went to the World for probably 17 out of the past 21 years. I’m guessing that’s after Mike cut back a lot.