Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why do some fans get so upset over the use of provisionals?

https://insidedirtracing.com/why-do-...-provisionals/

This is a recorded "podcast" which lasts for just over 8 minutes.

I have never really understood why some people get to so upset over the use of provisionals so that's what I talk about here.

Because Provisionals are little like, "Crony Capitalism". It usually rewards big names at the exclusion and/or detriment of lesser known drivers. Now if those spots are determined by a draw or fan vote then it may be more palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by LeafMaster41 View Post
    Because Provisionals are little like, "Crony Capitalism". It usually rewards big names at the exclusion and/or detriment of lesser known drivers. Now if those spots are determined by a draw or fan vote then it may be more palatable.
    How about it rewards drivers that follow a series or maybe a fast qualifier that didn't make it in through heats? It's pretty clear who is in line for a provisonal based off points and has nothing to do with being a "big name". But why let facts get in the way of a good Monday morning rant.

I think any fan will agree that provisionals are necessary. Just need a limit or cap on handing them out.

I dont like them because they reward drivers by putting them in the show when they didn't earn it. It is the ultimate participation trophy. You weren't good enough to make the race, but you follow our tour so we are going to let you in anyway. Who cares if you were fast qualifier, you should've transfered through your heat or B-main. Plus, it incentives drivers to give less than 100% in a B-main if they know that they are taking a provisional.

With all that said, I get why series have and use them. As a fan I've come to accept them as a part of our sport. Although I don't agree with them, I get it.

I dont mind them honestly. Im just not a fan of when a guy already locked in with a provisional, literally knocks a guy out of a transfer spot.

Some of us remember the KRob/Richards tangle a couple years ago. Josh shouldve probably shouldve had the Casey Roberts treatment over that one.

Definitely has nothing to do with "big" names most of the time. It's more about supporting the series. We have made several outlaw shows from being the "high" points guy that didn't make the show and we don't even remotely follow the series but if their here were gonna run with them because that's the only way you get better. Now emergency provisionals that's a whole other rant and i do think the series need to make some adjustments their

Provisionals aren't a big deal at normal series races, but at some of the crown jewels, it kinda dampens things a bit IMO. To me a true crown jewel is a no provisional type of deal. Or like Eldora does it, the provisionals that are handed out are based solely on performance at that event (fast time, high point man, etc). Certainly doesn't keep me from watching, but part of the thrill of going to Eldora (or Knoxville for the sprint car nationals) is the real possibility that several big name guys will pack it in before the A main starts.

Provisionals are the welfare cheque of racing.

Provisionals really aren’t that big a deal.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I do not mind a few Provisionals especially for a touring series. However, what drives me nuts is how the WOOLMS series does it. I guess I do not understand their rules. When I saw 11 Provisionals at Volusia it drove me nuts. Drivers declaring they are running the whole season only to get into the starting lineup in Florida. The WoO sprint cars do it right. I believe each Platinum driver gets two in the first half of the season and two in the second half. Most of the top drivers never use one, let alone their allotted four. But is a reward in case they need it if they have an off night,

Quote Originally Posted by Just The Tip View Post
    I dont like them because they reward drivers by putting them in the show when they didn't earn it. It is the ultimate participation trophy. You weren't good enough to make the race, but you follow our tour so we are going to let you in anyway. Who cares if you were fast qualifier, you should've transfered through your heat or B-main. Plus, it incentives drivers to give less than 100% in a B-main if they know that they are taking a provisional.

With all that said, I get why series have and use them. As a fan I've come to accept them as a part of our sport. Although I don't agree with them, I get it.
    Didn't earn it? They earned it by being high enough in points and following the series, so don't give me the "they didn't earn it" BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Returning to Dirt View Post
    https://insidedirtracing.com/why-do-...-provisionals/

This is a recorded "podcast" which lasts for just over 8 minutes.

I have never really understood why some people get to so upset over the use of provisionals so that's what I talk about here.
    I totally agree with you on this. However there is a mind set on here on both sides, and it makes the whole thing a no win discussion. Sort of like Politics. LOL

This is one where I am sure we'll have to agree to disagree, but I fall in the camp of those who do not like Provisionals. I think every show should stand on its own and if you didn't make it into the feature that night, it's not your night. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on how many race winners come from Provisional entries over the course of a season? I suspect WoO or Lucas Provisionals either pull off early or are typically not competitive anyway, so having them in the feature doesn't add value for fans.

Like em or not, touring provisionals aren't going away any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    Didn't earn it? They earned it by being high enough in points and following the series, so don't give me the "they didn't earn it" BS.
    That's what tow money is for. Race your way in or load it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Like em or not, touring provisionals aren't going away any time soon.
    They don't fail tech and they get a pass into the feature. It's a good gig.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There in there for the guys that follow the tour. Do they deserve it ? I say yes they do. A guy commits to following a tour should get the respect from the series. My take is, if the series gives out or has multiple series regulars that did not make the A main. Then there should be as many locals that get a provisional

I can remember when the Show-Me 100 and the Topless 100 wasn’t sanctioned series races. You had to race your way in and no provisionals. Can remember sitting at West Plains and seeing Billy Moyer’s rig leaving before the feature race. Both of those races went downhill when they became sanctioned races

Here is my take on this subject. Each of you go out there and fund a team. Regional, National, Summer Nats, makes no difference. Follow the entire schedule from start to finish. Then come back and tell us your opinion on provisionals.