Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did GRT get sold ?

I heard something the other day about GRT being sold. Was wondering if anyone had heard anything definite.

The only thing that I heard was that long time employee and racer, Jack Sullivan was either forced out or left on his own. He started his own racing business. He sells IMCA Stock Cars that are built in Nebraska by Bigg Johnson Racing and then are finished up by Sullivan under the Cadillac Chassis name, which is what he is calling his new enterprise.

I can’t confirm this rumor but supposedly a guy named Johnny Wise is buying or has bought GRT. Jack Sullivan is renting some shop space in Morrilton Ar. and that is where the Cadillac Chassis are currently being built, I think his plans are to add onto his shop and move the operation there eventually. They are really nice looking cars I’ve checked them out.

By the looks of their Facebook page something happened. Most of their posts from 2020 and earlier are gone and a post about changes

https://m.facebook.com/GRTRaceCars/?...ww.teamgrt.com

Whats the condition of Joes wife......wasnt she battling brain cancer? I can surely understand if she sold out!

I can't imagine the Cadillac people will be ok with the chassis name? It's cool and all, i just wonder what the backstory is on it or if he has their permission......he would have to wouldn't he?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Flathead, that is pretty much what i had heard also. Heard the guy also has a racetrack not far from GRT. Maybe they can use that to test and get something competitive back on the track. They seem to have fallen way behind on the late model stuff. I can't recall anyone running one now. Who was the last person to use a GRT on a national tour.

Rick Eckert in 2008 maybe? I think about after that year is when they slipped off.
    2021 race count
    6 events

I know they had fallen off with their DLM stuff, but I thought they still built and sold quite a few Modifieds throughout the country. In all honesty, I thought that is where their focus has been over the last few years, following the same blueprint as Shaw, even before Joe had passed away.

Well despite their perceived internal problems or ownership questions, it looks like GRT is still relevant, at least with the Modifieds, as Terry Phillips picks up the $10,000 win feature on the opening night night for the USMTS Modifieds at RPM Speedway driving a GRT chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    Well despite their perceived internal problems or ownership questions, it looks like GRT is still relevant, at least with the Modifieds, as Terry Phillips picks up the $10,000 win feature on the opening night night for the USMTS Modifieds at RPM Speedway driving a GRT chassis.
    Is he still in the GRT? I thought he’d got a Longhorn or Rocket mod or some other brand. I know he was a long time loyal supporter of GRT and Joe. Thought I’d seen it in Speedway Illustrated, maybe at the Vegas race or before that he had switched. Could be totally wrong, just surprised me as loyal as he was. But with Joe gone I get it.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

And they probably profit about the same welding up a mod chassis. So the question becomes does GRT really care what's going on in the hi tech, that's what it has become, world of slm and copy cat cars.

Just checked his Facebook, I’m definitely wrong, nice stable of GRT’s by Terry in there. Swear he tried some other brand.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

"Just checked his Facebook, I’m definitely wrong, nice stable of GRT’s by Terry in there. Swear he tried some other brand."

I originally thought the same thing, but I think I was confused because he switched to a Capital chassis for his DLM last season, but has remained loyal to GRT for his modified stuff.

Speaking of Terry, he won the $10,000 to win USMTS feature last night @ RPM Speedway in Texas.

http://usmts.com/

SUMMIT RACING EQUIPMENT “A” MAIN (50 laps):
    1. (2) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, MO, GRT/Durham, 50, $10,000.
    Last edited by fryefan; 03-06-2021 at 08:46 AM.

He’s been through Bloomquist, Black Diamond, and now Capital for his late model program. Far as I know he’s been GRT all along with his mod.
    I hate time trials.

Speaking of GRT, anyone remember their mid-90’s foray into LTO karts? Call Bill Hooten or Joe Garrison, Allen Rippy too was on the flier. $2200.00 complete w/ engine, wheels, tires, roller race ready. Stickered up like your popular GRT DLM driver of the day.

I have a friend that I help on his bodies and he helps me on my motors that has one of those karts on his wall. Brand new.

Cool

Too cool, Punisher.

USMTS at RPM Speedway from last night courtesy of the Rodbolt channel. Pretty good channel to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS5hE4UP0pg

My cousin and her husband lived right across the street from Joe Garrison's daughter and down the street from Joe's ex. The daughter has since moved in the last year or so. Super nice folks.
    Formerly 66#1