Default Building a Spring Smasher

Anybody on here built their own spring smasher that would be willing to share information on what parts you used and how you built it?

I made a contraption out of my existing shop press. I use a load-cell I found on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Coil-Spring-C...161517&sr=8-20

I bought mine (I think this exact one) a few years back, and believe it was a little over half as much, but I see they now even call it a "Coil Spring Race Car Compression Scale." I guess they got wise as to what they were being bought for, so they jacked up the price (like anything "tactical" in the Policing world).

The next issue is finding a jack or ram with enough stroke length available. I also recently bought a cheap bottle jack from Amazon that has over 7" of stroke (https://www.amazon.com/BAOSHISHAN-Hy...ef_=ast_sto_dp). I've yet to use it, but most generic ones are only in the 5-5.5" range.

In the end, is a set-up like mine gonna be as accurate as a professionally made one? Obviously not, but I've checked the consistency (repeatability) of it, and have found no issues (reading a tape measure is the biggest challenge). So for us "budget" minded folk, I think it's just fine.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 03-07-2021 at 06:12 PM.

They use an electric trailer jack for the ram, you will just need to search for the quality and max load you want

I've made a few using similar load cell and we've used trailer Jack's or a air over hydraulic engine hoist ram from harbor freight. The beauty of the hydraulic ram deal is that the load cell can be run on battery's so you can use it without any power or air of need be. Also the ram has enough stability that you don't need any additional support.

Why couldnt you buy this, fabricate longer side rails and add 2 shock brackets? You might have to buy a longer ram jack too, but you shouldnt have over $500 in it.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/DECO-...ds-,32078.html

All good suggestion here. I had some dumbazz tell me you had to buy an automatic machine cause mark richards said so.

I tried to teach him the difference between loads proportional to displacement and loads proportional to speed and the need to measure those with different devices.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    All good suggestion here. I had some dumbazz tell me you had to buy an automatic machine cause mark richards said so.I tried to teach him the difference between loads proportional to displacement and loads proportional to speed and the need to measure those with different devices.
    Agreed the automated machines are nice but they give completely different numbers and for the average guy all that does is create consistency issues and information confusion. I started to automate my machine then I played with a freinds accuforce and decided in about five minutes I didn't need to waste my time. It realy comes down to your information line. If your in the phone with Mark three times a week and you have Integra by rocket or little Brian yeah you should probably have an automated machine because it's what their using. But if your using you own brain and only working on your car primarily then all you need is a static machine any way you can make it

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Agreed the automated machines are nice but they give completely different numbers and for the average guy all that does is create consistency issues and information confusion. I started to automate my machine then I played with a freinds accuforce and decided in about five minutes I didn't need to waste my time. It realy comes down to your information line. If your in the phone with Mark three times a week and you have Integra by rocket or little Brian yeah you should probably have an automated machine because it's what their using. But if your using you own brain and only working on your car primarily then all you need is a static machine any way you can make it
    You better have the exact machine, exact shocks, exact everything. It's foolish to put yourself in such a corner.

I could never work off meaningless numbers that are not based on proper force measurement principles.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 03-08-2021 at 06:55 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

MBR, Nobody is gonna get the same exact equipment , same shocks as Rocket1, but then again who would want it right now lol I know Sheppy will get going again, its just been years since they’ve had to search for speed like they are now. Mark is no idiot, he’ll get it right!

I just built my own. 5000 lb load cell and 5000 lb electric trailer jack(ball screw) from amazon. using a yard stick bolted to the frame for measuring. built the stand out of 2x2 .120 and 6"x2" c- channel 3/16 for jack mount. I can attach photos later.

I built one with a 3500lb trailer jack, Its plenty strong. 5k would be nice now to do pull bars.

Make the frame nice and square with good material, you should be fine.

The trailer jack can be run via a power supply, you can get power supplies on Ebay with about 30 amps, and this is plenty big enough, or use a battery. There cheap too.

Also, you can get electronic scales (think electronic ruler, they call them scales for some reason) on ebay made to measure a X or Y travel on a mill etc, measures to the .001's if you desire. I set mine up initially but don't use it a lot, the yard stick is fine.

One thing that cracks me up is, people want to measure down to the tenth on a machine, but they take the measurement on the car via eye balling a tape measure. Then try to tell me how accurate you need to be, i just shake my head...

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    I built one with a 3500lb trailer jack, Its plenty strong. 5k would be nice now to do pull bars.

Make the frame nice and square with good material, you should be fine.

The trailer jack can be run via a power supply, you can get power supplies on Ebay with about 30 amps, and this is plenty big enough, or use a battery. There cheap too.

Also, you can get electronic scales (think electronic ruler, they call them scales for some reason) on ebay made to measure a X or Y travel on a mill etc, measures to the .001's if you desire. I set mine up initially but don't use it a lot, the yard stick is fine.

One thing that cracks me up is, people want to measure down to the tenth on a machine, but they take the measurement on the car via eye balling a tape measure. Then try to tell me how accurate you need to be, i just shake my head...
    Very true. I'd like to center point my bolts in a lathe and build a scale, but I've never done it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

If you buy one of the dro measuring devices stick as the igaging unit. Make sure you spring for the absolute measuring model otherwise their subject to skip and lose their position witch pretty much makes it useless.

http://www.igaging.com/page60.html

Never been an issue for me on my lathe or mill. Keep them clean and they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    http://www.igaging.com/page60.htmlNever been an issue for me on my lathe or mill. Keep them clean and they work well.
    You can take what I say with a grain of salt. I think it has to do with the rate of speed in witch they travel. I've had two have issues. They usually don't mess up until you have no shock on the machine and your running it down to put a longer assembly in. I spent a fair amount of time ensuring the scales were straight and not binding but it didn't matter. Igage sells a absulute version is not much more but it will never be wrong wants set

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    You can take what I say with a grain of salt. I think it has to do with the rate of speed in witch they travel. I've had two have issues. They usually don't mess up until you have no shock on the machine and your running it down to put a longer assembly in. I spent a fair amount of time ensuring the scales were straight and not binding but it didn't matter. Igage sells a absulute version is not much more but it will never be wrong wants set

Same here. I didn't mean to imply that no one would have issues. It's just I haven't for my Mill and Lathe. My CNC mill uses them too but that is still slow like your saying in comparison.
    Everything electronic has a process time, getting faster than that and I could see this skipping happening. Also, how much os tolerable. .050 probably isn't worth chasing on a spring smasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Same here. I didn't mean to imply that no one would have issues. It's just I haven't for my Mill and Lathe. My CNC mill uses them too but that is still slow like your saying in comparison. Everything electronic has a process time, getting faster than that and I could see this skipping happening. Also, how much os tolerable. .050 probably isn't worth chasing on a spring smasher.
    I don't remember the exact number but it was enough to immediately be a problem and the issue is evertime it happens you get further and further out