Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winner!

Cool

Heck, I’m just glad I could see Kyle race in a Midget when he was suspended from NASCAR.

lurker, Larson really is a special talent and he's a nice kid. We first met him at Springfield, Illinois at the Bettenhausen Memorial 100. He was driving the #71 Silver Crown car owned by Keith Kunz and Pete Willoughby. I think he ran 4th that day. 2 weeks later on the dirt mile at Du Quoin, Illinois he put an ass kickin' on the field similar to the whoopin' he put on the DLM boys this past January. Larson and the late, great Bryan Clauson went at it tooth & nail in the early stages of that race but by half way Larson was 1/2 lap ahead of BC and stretching it every lap.

If you are a race fan you have to enjoy watching the kid do his thing. It can't be overstated just how special a talent Larson is and you can call me anything you want for saying so. He makes history just about every time he straps in a race car at a dirt track!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    --- and the late, great Bryan Clauson

When he was fresh out of California, and cutting his teeth, I watched very young Brian at Peru, In. Miami Co. Speedway many a night racing a 600cc Micro. I’ve been very blessed over the years to watch some of the best racers to be, race here in Indiana.

Good thing about Larson is that he wheels the car and doesn’t whine about setups/Tire wear etc. A perfect fit for Hendrick. Drivers who don’t build cars. They just drive.

lurker, I didn't discover BC until he'd gone through the NASCAR stage of his career. You were very fortunate to see him race in his formative years!

I was born a little too late to have seen some of the great ones but I at least got to watch some of the legends very late in their careers. As a pre-teen I watched Sheldon Kinser drive a sprint car and Silver Crown car. Got to see Gary Bettenhausen and Larry D!ckson but both were into their last seasons of competition. Never got to see Parnelli or Dan Gurney. Both those guys are hero's of mine and I believe Parnelli was just as good as Foyt.

The one guy I agonize about not seeing race was Jan Opperman. I've been told that he was beyond special behind the wheel of a wingless sprint car. I've also read about and heard of a guy from out east by the name of Tommy Hinner(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)z. I think Foyt said Hinner(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)z was as good as anyone who ever lived. Pre war driver Ted Horn (who is memorialized every Labor Day Weekend at the Magic Mile at Du Quoin) is said to have been as good as anyone who lived but like many he fell victim to the lack of safety equipment and policies of his time period.

There are four tracks that I missed due to the tardiness of my existence and it makes me sad never to have seen them. They are Langhorne, Pennsylvania, the beach road course in Ponce De Leon Inlet/Daytona Beach, Florida, Trenton, New Jersey and of course Ascot Park in Gardena, California.

I got to see Foyt run dozens of races from Ascot to Ontario, Phoenix to Riverside, pavement and dirt, it could have been either surface in Stock Cars, Sprints, Midgets. Roadsters and so on. Rick Mears dirt experience was some bad a$$ off road stuff. I really like Mears, one year had a long overall conversation with him at his hometown's Bakersfield March Meet, a guy who who listening to the 2 of us talk was Buck Owens, something really cool.

CIRF, no mention of Frankie Schneider or Al Tasnady, why? In my view you cant say someone is the best with out knowing history, not that you dont, maybe cuz I am an older.....fart than most.

Just my view, but I think Mr. Foyt is so accomplished overshadowing most if not all major sanctioning group talents. Y a think how many late bad breaks Foyt had at Indy.

Also got to meet him once at Ontario.

LMM

And Foyt showed up to Le Mans for the very first time with Dan Gurney and they won the race. Foyt had never seen the place.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    The sheep who enjoy plywood sheets for spoilers and a whopping 550 hp for supposedly the best in the world drivers 
    Not to mention the FACT that all of the passing is done by spotters and mirrors ! ! If'n they took that away from them. Larson and Bell would run 1st and 2nd every race. Week in and week out !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    Not to mention the FACT that all of the passing is done by spotters and mirrors ! ! If'n they took that away from them. Larson and Bell would run 1st and 2nd every race. Week in and week out !!!!!!!!!!!
    Great Segway 😜👍

Good conversation and great history in this thread. Growing up in Texas I was a huge A J Foyt fan when I was a kid back in the 60's. I never got the opportunity to see him race unfortunately, but I followed his carrier. He is the GOAT in my opinion with Andretti a close second.

CIRF, you mention Larson and F1 I highly doubt it would ever happen but I believe Larson could hop behind the wheel of one of those machines and be very competitive it might take him a little while to get accustom to the difference of their tracks but I believe he could hold his own against the European guys.

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Gang View Post
    CIRF, you mention Larson and F1 I highly doubt it would ever happen but I believe Larson could hop behind the wheel of one of those machines and be very competitive it might take him a little while to get accustom to the difference of their tracks but I believe he could hold his own against the European guys.
    You're right about doubting that it will ever happen and you're probably correct in your assessment that Larson could competitive in F1. Although, I was totally convinced that Michael Andretti would be a winner in F1 and we all know how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Good conversation and great history in this thread. Growing up in Texas I was a huge A J Foyt fan when I was a kid back in the 60's. I never got the opportunity to see him race unfortunately, but I followed his carrier. He is the GOAT in my opinion with Andretti a close second.
    I'm merely curious so please don't think I'm demeaning your opinion on Andretti being second. What statistical evidence do you base your opinion? Foyt won the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which is just one event, Andretti never won Le Mans. Andretti was F1 World Champion, which is the culmination of a whole season of racing, Foyt never even tried to drive an F1 car in competition. Other than those two discrepancies the accomplishments of both drivers was pretty equal. One area Foyt was vastly superior was his mechanical ability and eptitude. Andretti was not known for his ability to develop and apply mechanical aspects to race cars, he was a driver!

Picking an overall best ever career is very hard to do. The only facet of Andretti's career that supersedes Foyt's is the F1 World Championship but that's a sizable ingredient in the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I'm merely curious so please don't think I'm demeaning your opinion on Andretti being second. What statistical evidence do you base your opinion? Foyt won the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which is just one event, Andretti never won Le Mans. Andretti was F1 World Champion, which is the culmination of a whole season of racing, Foyt never even tried to drive an F1 car in competition. Other than those two discrepancies the accomplishments of both drivers was pretty equal. One area Foyt was vastly superior was his mechanical ability and eptitude. Andretti was not known for his ability to develop and apply mechanical aspects to race cars, he was a driver!

Picking an overall best ever career is very hard to do. The only facet of Andretti's career that supersedes Foyt's is the F1 World Championship but that's a sizable ingredient in the comparison.
    I don't base it on any statistics they are just my two favorites growing up as a kid. I guessed I should have prefaced my comment with IMHO.

I understand, JimBo. Like I said, you're opinion is beyond valid and is the opinion of virtually millions of other race fans all over the world. Foyt is a hero to virtually millions of people for his escapades like what he did at Milwaukee back in the mid 1960's and a lot of people also like him because he was an a$$hole about 1/2 the time. For some reason a lotta' people like those that come across as A-holes.

The reason I personally give the slight edge to Mario is due to the fact that Foyt had the Hulman family and USAC as a whole in his corner and deeply in his pocket. I don't think Mario had all that going for him but I wasn't there. However, I've spoken with may old timers who were and they back up the favoritism with facts and specific instances. I never liked that kinda' stuff and it's the reason I was never a fan of ol' arnhead in NASCAR.

You can’t compare Larson to Foyt. That’s utter jibberish at this point.

Please show where anyone was comparing Larson to Foyt.

I will, however, favorably compare Larson to any generic dirt late model driver. Name one who has accomplished anything remotely compared to what Larson has done.

This oughta' be good!! LOLOLOL!!