Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Just listening to Feger talk about anything or following him on Social Media will put anyone into a state of depression.

Just remember if there is 5k up for grabs 27 nights and a points reward at the end, there will be someone there chasing it. That series is bigger than Feger whether he wishes to admit that or not.

Really wish DoD would get away from the IL boys and Busch Latte Boom!
    You nailed it on the head dwb, for me anyway.

I have no idea what the "good ole days" of the Summer Nationals was supposed to be. I've been following DLM racing since the mid-1990's and they were going to Michigan and Iowa and Wisconsin in those days too. They raced in Baxter, Tennessee back then. That's closer to Charlotte or Atlanta than St. Louis. Do these guys want 10k to win every night within 3 hours of Decatur, Illinois ?
    Racers seem to complain a lot.
    What's the problem ? Someone help me out....educate me.
    Last edited by jr29; 03-13-2021 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Action10 View Post
    I agree with you, I just feel like it has been mismanaged totally. When was the last time an actual weekly racer won the UMP national championship? Rodney Melvin in the mid-00's if I remember correctly.
    Schlenk and Unzicker are far from serious tour racers.

I'm not arguing the mismanagement, but apparently for totally different reasons. This group has sat and done nothing to keep the cars in check. They just cash their checks.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 03-13-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    I have no idea what the "good ole days" of the Summer Nationals was supposed to be. I've been following DLM racing since the mid-1990's and they were going to Michigan and Iowa and Wisconsin in those days too. They raced in Baxter, Tennessee back then. That's closer to Charlotte or Atlanta than St. Louis. Do these guys want 10k to win every night within 3 hours of Decatur, Illinois ?
    Racers seem to complain a lot.
    What's the problem ? Someone help me out....educate me.
    I have the same questions.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The first three years of the thing the first race was in Owatonna, Minnesota. The first year the series went from Owatonna to St. Charles, Missouri the next night. Mapquest tells me that is 477 miles. Stop acting like the travel has only become difficult in recent years.

2000 tour...
    June 25 in Haubstadt, In
    June 26 Hales Corners, Wi
    June 27 East Moline, Il
    Last edited by jr29; 03-13-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Action10 View Post
    I agree with you, I just feel like it has been mismanaged totally. When was the last time an actual weekly racer won the UMP national championship? Rodney Melvin in the mid-00's if I remember correctly.
    And drivers complain that the purse is a huge problem. Pay 20k to win every night and see what that does to the weekly racer.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Schlenk and Unzicker are far from serious tour racers.I'm not arguing the mismanagement, but apparently for totally different reasons. This group has sat and done nothing to keep the cars in check. They just cash their checks.
    Fair point. They aren't serious touring racers but I also don't consider them weekly racers either. That's not to say I'm right, just my view on it.You are spot on about collecting money without controlling the sport and keeping it somewhat affordable.

The first three years of the thing the first race was in Owatonna, Minnesota. The first year the series went from Owatonna to St. Charles, Missouri the next night. Mapquest tells me that is 477 miles. Stop acting like the travel has only become difficult in recent years.2000 tour...June 25 in Haubstadt, InJune 26 Hales Corners, WiJune 27 East Moline, Il
    I think the point is that they keep extending the nights in the series, traveling for 10 nights in a row is one thing. Now they are all over the map for two and half months. The series basically pays about the same when diesel fuel was significantly less, they've also split it up with big shows in between. So if anyone wants to attend the big shows that's tons of racing. The series is June 15 until August 21. Starts immediately after the Dream. Weeks off the guys travel to Cedar Lake for the USA Nationals and FALS which really aren't that close either. They also gotta skip a few other big races to stay on the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrace View Post
    I think the point is that they keep extending the nights in the series, traveling for 10 nights in a row is one thing. Now they are all over the map for two and half months. The series basically pays about the same when diesel fuel was significantly less, they've also split it up with big shows in between. So if anyone wants to attend the big shows that's tons of racing. The series is June 15 until August 21. Starts immediately after the Dream. Weeks off the guys travel to Cedar Lake for the USA Nationals and FALS which really aren't that close either. They also gotta skip a few other big races to stay on the tour.
    All of that is valid and I'm not crazy about the current schedule either. But haven't the drivers been complaining for years ? I really like Shannon Babb but I remember him commenting several years ago about how the tour had gotten away from what it was supposed to be about. Why was the tour so great in 2004 and why was it starting to be so terrible for these drivers in 2017 or 2018 ?
    There are more high paying specials these days and I don't see how UMP can do anything about that. If they raise purses more touring level drivers are gonna be showing up. That makes things more difficult for the local, weekly guy. Is the tour supposed to cater to the weekly guy or the touring guy ? Can't have it both ways....at least not nowadays.
    Last edited by jr29; 03-13-2021 at 11:35 AM.

The first three years of the thing the first race was in Owatonna, Minnesota. The first year the series went from Owatonna to St. Charles, Missouri the next night. Mapquest tells me that is 477 miles. Stop acting like the travel has only become difficult in recent years.

2000 tour...
    June 25 in Haubstadt, In
    June 26 Hales Corners, Wi
    June 27 East Moline, Il
    According to DoD the first ever Summer National race was in 1986 at Spoon River.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    According to DoD the first ever Summer National race was in 1986 at Spoon River.
    The Summer Nationals page goes back to 1988. That's the year I'm referring to.

I wonder why they don't have the it complete

https://www.dirtondirt.com/history-series.php?id=12
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    I wonder why they don't have the it complete

https://www.dirtondirt.com/history-series.php?id=12
    Don't know.
    If the current schedule looked like those first couple years folks would say it isn't the grueling test that it should be.

I’m not sure trending down, if I remember right, 5-10 years ago the car counts were getting dangerously low. The stands have been full at most races. THE DRIVERS/TEAMS are getting screwed. The price for admission has kept up with current times but not purse. only pay out 5,000.00 is ludicrous. These promoters make out like bandits at the 5,000.00 shows right. When the drivers and teams stop showing up things will change. On a side note, on the national scene we are seeing purses finally increase and catch up with modern times

I guess I miss heard feger. I didn't feel like he complained about one thing he just spoke his mind about the current schedule and it sounded like the rest of the drivers that follow it on a regular basis are in agreement. With the exception of Gardner and unzucker pretty much all the guys that follow summer nationals race for a living and it doesent make sense to drive past a 10k or more show to go to a hell tour show. I also agree that it's too spread out the reason it's called the hell tour is because it's grueling

But in the promoter's defense someone will be there chasing that 5k. So until they stop showing up they wont stop offering 5k to win and a hot dog to start.

I believe that the SN Tour has run its course. Unless some major purse changes take place,,,,,while I am at it,,the 4 wide pre race start is getting old too
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!