*Johnny Rutherford*
    *Graham Hill*
    *Jackie Stewart*
    *Frankie Schneider*
    *Dutch Hoag*
    *Gary Balough*
    *Jim Shampine*

LMM

The cars back in those days were very very dangerous. Lots of heavy risk taking by all the drivers you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    Did you ever see these guys race?

*Dan Gurney*
    *Parnelli Jones*
    *Johnny Rutherford*
    *Graham Hill*
    *Jackie Stewart*
    *Frankie Schneider*
    *Dutch Hoag*
    *Gary Balough*
    *Jim Shampine*

LMM
    Of that list I saw Johnny Rutherford in his last start at Indianapolis. I should say I was physically at The Speedway for JR's last start at Indy. I watched the race while "socializing" in the old Snake Pit in turn #1. The real Snake Pit where multiple forms of human debauchery were on public display at all times and there were several laws being broken, as well. So, I was there but I didn't see much of the actual race. Other than JR at Indy I never had the honor of witnessing the on track driver talent of any of the gentlemen you list. I'm sure I missed some great stuff as a result.

Mark,

Didn’t Gary Balough run a few NDRA races back in the early 80’s? I could have swore I got to see him at I-44 Speedway in Lebanon Mo back when it was dirt.

Jim Shampine Frankie Schneider* these three i've never seen race the rest of them i have.
    *Dutch Hoag

cirf was u in the boob and joint area.

Quote Originally Posted by buster83 View Post
    cirf was u in the boob and joint area.
    If you are referring to the Indy Turn #1 Snake Pit you're being quite restrained in your description! LOL! There was a whole lot more going on than boobs out and pot smoking!

And yes, I was in the "boob & joint area" better known as the Original & Real Snake Pit.

yelp that been known to miss the whole dam race them where good days of racing.

CIRF
    Did you ever see "Barefoot" Bob McCreadie race?
    Leland McSpadden
    Tom Reffner
    Larry Phillips
    Dave Watson
    Jimmy Sills
    Dean Thompson

Ever been to Williams Grove, Oswego, Ascot, Manzanita?

Just was curious if ya saw any of those boys or tracks. Traveling was so much easier back in the day, now ya gotta be a Powerball winner to afford a road trip.

LMM

Question

I heard heard a story one time about Leland McSpadden and i oft times wondered if it was true ? The story goes that Lelands eyes pointed in 2 different directions. One eye would be looking forward while the other tilted off to the left side. They said that is why he was so so great , he could be looking down the track with 1 eye while protecting the inside with the other. One night he was in a terrible wreck and got knocked around so hard that his eyes ended up both pointing straight as a result. They said that the wreck " Knocked him normal "! I guess he never won as many after that happened. Anybody ever hear this ? Is it true or not ?

CIRF
    Leland McSpadden
    Tom Reffner
    Larry Phillips
    Dave Watson
    Jimmy Sills
    Dean Thompson

Ever been to Williams Grove, Oswego, Ascot, Manzanita?

Just was curious if ya saw any of those boys or tracks. Traveling was so much easier back in the day, now ya gotta be a Powerball winner to afford a road trip.

LMM
    I saw The Tempe Tornado drive the Alex Morales USAC Silver Crown car at Springfield, Illinois and also at Du Quoin, Illinois.

I saw Reffner at Milwaukee driving an ASA car in the late 1980's. 1989 I believe.

I saw Larry Phillips in an ASA race at The Milwaukee Mile in the early 1990's.

I saw Dave Watson in an ASA race at The Milwaukee Mile in the early 1990's.

I saw Jimmy Sills drive a USAC Silver Crown car many times at Springfield, Illinois, Du Quoin, Illinois and at the Indy Fairgrounds Mile in Indianapolis.

Never had the honor of seeing Dean Thompson race. Dean was just a bit before my time.

I have never had the pleasure of attending an event at Williams Grove or Oswego but hope to someday. One of my regrets of being born a bit too late is that Ascot Park went away before I was able to attend an event there.

However, I had the honor of attending the 2004 Western World Championships at Manzanita Speedway. That event was the only time I've ever been at a racetrack that stopped selling general admission tickets because they were totally full! Also, Manzy had the best race track food in my opinion. The Mexican food on the menu at Manzy was some of the best I've ever had!

"Barefoot" Bob McCreadie
    Leland McSpadden
    Larry Phillips
    Jimmy Sills

Yes sir!!!

CIRF
    Watched "Barefoot" Bob many times before he got hurt in that motorcycle accident. Every time was at Volusia Speedway Park during Speedweeks. Barefoot was very good in a big block modified!! I've heard he is a very nice guy, too.

Thanks CIRF

Dang those 1 mile races must have been cool.

LMM

Thanks CIRF

Dang those 1 mile races must have been cool.

LMM
    I was lucky enough to have seen Rich Vogler and Doug Wolfgang pilot USAC Silver Crown cars on 1 mile dirt tracks. I was at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile the evening Rich set a new track record there. It still gives me a bit of a chill when I think of it. He destroyed that car 6 times in 1 lap and never put a scratch on it. It was incredible. Wolfy was a treat to watch in Silver Crown car, as well.

Cool

I watched Barefoot Bob at Weedsport, Ransomville, Hagerstown, and a few other places. My favorite memory was during a Hub City 150 at Hagerstown, Maryland in the mid 90s. It was a daytime race on a Sunday. Old Bob and another man pulled in with a white Ford roll back flat bed. They had a couple of fuel jugs, jack. 4-way,and 3 spare tires stuffed inside the car. They rolled the car off, knocked off the win and headed back to N. Y. 5 grand richer. I admired Barefoot because he was the Chub Frank of the modified ranks. I.E. he made the most money by spending the least amount of money. And he reared up a fine wheelman of a son that has won a lot of big races even when some 4-mers had him written off. In fact he just won the WoO race Friday night at Richmond.
    Last edited by Raceready; 04-25-2021 at 07:53 PM.