Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Bristol Rain Contingencies...

Anybody heard anything on weather contingencies for the Dirt Nationals next week? Weather is looking good for the Friday and Saturday late model shows (fingers crossed), but I’m curious what the make-up plan will be if some of the weeknight shows get rained out. Hoping they don’t cram everything in for an all day Friday and Saturday, but that seems like the most obvious thing they would decide to do. Any thoughts??

I bet they cram it all in.

Right now Thursday and Friday looks like rain both days.

Well if they get rained out and put it all in one day they would have to start at 10 in the morning they got a 10 minute time limit on heat races they must not be planning on any wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Well if they get rained out and put it all in one day they would have to start at 10 in the morning they got a 10 minute time limit on heat races they must not be planning on any wrecks.
    Problem is Mon-Thursday is heat races to set features for the support classes. Then last chance races on Friday/Saturday then features. If you lose a day or two during the week it will be a mess. I dont have any answers just looking at how the schedule is set up.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtSLMracing View Post
    Problem is Mon-Thursday is heat races to set features for the support classes. Then last chance races on Friday/Saturday then features. If you lose a day or two during the week it will be a mess. I dont have any answers just looking at how the schedule is set up.
    You nailed it with saying it will be a mess. Whoever dreamed up that schedule, clearly wasn't thinking about the working man, and I don't mean the fans either.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    You nailed it with saying it will be a mess. Whoever dreamed up that schedule, clearly wasn't thinking about the working man, and I don't mean the fans either.
    Saturday was scheduled to start at 3 with Super's Qualifying, then Last Chance races for Hornets, Stock Cars, 604 Late Models, Open Modifieds, Then Super heats then features for all 5 classes. Imagine having to run heats for the support classes on Saturday. Then if it rains out Friday what do you do with the other support classes that are supposed to have features Friday(Sport Mods, 602 Late Models, Modifieds) If you had perfect weather to allow heats Mon-Thur then Friday and Saturday were already full days with Last chance races and features.

Sorry if my post is confusing.. I tried to lay it out the best I could.

They moved the start time up to 4 o'clock supposed to be done by 11 but if you add the time per race irs 8 hrs an how many heat races you going to run in 10 minutes all you need is one wreck.

Anyone racing there this week is taking time off from work.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    They moved the start time up to 4 o'clock supposed to be done by 11 but if you add the time per race irs 8 hrs an how many heat races you going to run in 10 minutes all you need is one wreck.
    If the heats have time limits, then they won’t have qualms with calling heats early. Mike used to be the race director at Vinton. If anyone can keep them on a schedule, it’s him.

Think about this.. IF you have to run heats on Saturday for 4 support classes that could be 40 heat races. It takes time just to get cars on and off the track for that many heats without considering the time for the race. Of course 40 heats is based on a ton of cars in each class which there are according to the entry list.
    Last edited by dirtSLMracing; 03-14-2021 at 07:52 PM.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...n__=%2As%2As-R Based on this, looks like it’ll b a “day at a time” decision...which, I get...somewhat. I would assume they already have some contingency plans in place, you’d have to for an event like this with a forecast like we’ve got this week. Be interesting to see how the news of those contingencies gets put out as the week goes on.

These guys are doing something that has never been done before. They are running eight (8) divisions all with a big purse and high car count. If you have ever operated a race track you always have contingency plans but you can't put any of them in place until something happens (rain last night). Within a few hours they had a revised schedule posted. I believe they are optimistic on the amount of time to run the events but once you get there, who cares? Monday through Thursday of this even is designed for the racer, not the race fan. I did not watch all of the broadcast yesterday but I saw enough to keep up with what is going on. Same thing for the rest of the week, my tv will be on. If I am a racer I don't care what time we race as long as we race. Friday and Saturday is for the fan. The Super Late Models will be the "star" of the show. But the drivers that have been there all week will race before the largest crowd and the best venue most of them have ever been to. I have read most of the event posts and have seen the information they constantly update. I believe they are doing a great job. Let's give them a chance. BTW - there is no race track in the country you can go to and be guaranteed that everything will go perfect and on schedule.

Maybe explains why I recognized no modifieds from my area. Haven't heard yet as to any late model guys going.

Just the amount of time it takes to open and close the gate to get onto the racetrack will slow things down a lot. Do we know if they are going to line up a class at a time in the infield and only have to open the gate once per class?

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    Just the amount of time it takes to open and close the gate to get onto the racetrack will slow things down a lot. Do we know if they are going to line up a class at a time in the infield and only have to open the gate once per class?
    They are not opening the gate between races you are stuck in the infield for the entire event. I could imagine if they have rain makeups they may alter that some though

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracing62 View Post
    These guys are doing something that has never been done before. They are running eight (8) divisions all with a big purse and high car count. If you have ever operated a race track you always have contingency plans but you can't put any of them in place until something happens (rain last night). Within a few hours they had a revised schedule posted. I believe they are optimistic on the amount of time to run the events but once you get there, who cares? Monday through Thursday of this even is designed for the racer, not the race fan. I did not watch all of the broadcast yesterday but I saw enough to keep up with what is going on. Same thing for the rest of the week, my tv will be on. If I am a racer I don't care what time we race as long as we race. Friday and Saturday is for the fan. The Super Late Models will be the "star" of the show. But the drivers that have been there all week will race before the largest crowd and the best venue most of them have ever been to. I have read most of the event posts and have seen the information they constantly update. I believe they are doing a great job. Let's give them a chance. BTW - there is no race track in the country you can go to and be guaranteed that everything will go perfect and on schedule.
    Boone does this every year for the Supernationals.

The super nationals run supers?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

No negativity here. I’m stoked they’re getting the opportunity to do it and even more stoked that I as a fan get the chance to go this weekend. I do genuinely applaud the undertaking and the effort that has clearly went into putting this event on, and am thankful to have folks in the sport willing to devote so much time to it so that both the racer and the fan can have an event like this to either participate in or attend. I think all we’re doing in this thread (and even in my own posts) is just discussing our thoughts as to what we think any potential make up plans for rained out races will be as we move through the week and into the weekend. If the weather we had last week in this part of the country would ave carries over into this week, we’re not even having this conversation...but it didn’t, things are a little more wet, and so the question arises. Like I said though, no bashing here...just discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    The super nationals run supers?
    No, but they run 7 classes with a combined car count of 900 over a span of a week. That's comparable.