Default Ricky Thornton Jr. takes thrilling Spring 50 at Florence

Misfortune for Jimmy Owens opened the door for a Thornton victory

https://insidedirtracing.com/ricky-t...0-at-florence/

After years of hearing about The GREAT Florence Speedway, today was the first time I have watched a race from there, courtesy of Flo. Is that the normal condition of the track? I could not believe how rough and full of holes and ruts were there, especially in the turns. It looked like a bucking bronco and the survival of the fittest. Is that the way it is for the North South 100 or was it because of opening day issues.?

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    After years of hearing about The GREAT Florence Speedway, today was the first time I have watched a race from there, courtesy of Flo. Is that the normal condition of the track? I could not believe how rough and full of holes and ruts were there, especially in the turns. It looked like a bucking bronco and the survival of the fittest. Is that the way it is for the North South 100 or was it because of opening day issues.?
    The Spring 50 is always that way. It's usually pretty smooth after that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Spring 50 is always a rodeo and who doesn’t break.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    Not the norm, but for the Spring 50, it either gets rained out or that is the norm. I’ve seen good Spring 50’s, but the last few have been real rough.

It’s usually smooth, slick, and racy.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

It rained this week and it was first race of the year. I thought it was pretty good considering to years past.

Well at least that could pass sounded like a good race at least it wasn't follow the leader.

Its normally smooth. Like mentioned above, they had quite a bit of rain this week, and its early, ground is really soft, still a pretty good race.

I saw more than 1 car bounce all four wheels off the ground. My first race to watch at Florence also. So the spring race is usually run on a motocross type track??

There are plenty of videos on YouTube and DoD to give anyone an idea of how Florence normally races. When this race does happen, it's always similar track conditions to what we seen yesterday.

I was there, and yes, corners were like a cornfield. But as people have mentioned, that's how the Spring 50 rolls. I do believe the racing surface is as good as any in the country once the season gets going. Always multiple grooves, and plenty of wall scraping. When the cushion is right up to the wall, watch out. The N/S 100 is always an event you shouldn't miss.

How was the car count in the other classes? Also maybe they should run it in April but too many races around the country. With a purse like that you would think 30 cars would show. Also is it a Florence points race if not maybe they should make it one at least give them show up points.

Its not a points race I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    How was the car count in the other classes? Also maybe they should run it in April but too many races around the country. With a purse like that you would think 30 cars would show. Also is it a Florence points race if not maybe they should make it one at least give them show up points.
    Crate had 15. Mods were in the low 20s. I'm not sure what they are doing about points, but there were a few regulars that were notably absent. Since they are not running super every week, not sure how that impacts things.

It was previously a requirement to get a provisional for the big shows. It counted towards perfect attendance, which was factored in to receive the provisional.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

If not a points race and it did not count toward the provisionals thats why. Make it a points race and make it count you would get the regular 15 cars that show up and another 15 that travel in about every class.

some still aren't ready, some are prepping for Bristol, some were racing at other tracks that had big shows this weekend, as well. Points or not..if a guy is able to they will race at Florence, especially if they race there regularly. Florence as a track is just about like any other as far as how the surface is..it has many good nights and some bad nights. In Kentucky we had a good bit of snow, a couple inches of ice..and enough rain to cause severe flooding all basically in the last 3 or so weeks. Ground is still saturated and won't take a whole lot of water from rain or otherwise before its mushy

Prepping for Bristol sounds about right. Race was pretty good on rodeo surface, but is was better than watching a train race.