Default Left Rear Quarter Panel

What are your opinions on removing the left rear quarter panel completely for places like Bristol? Thinking about it hypothetically from an aerodynamic standpoint. It obviously catches any air coming underneath the car but is that actually a good thing at really fast tracks? Most guys are laying the spoiler back so obviously not needing the extra downforce/side force. I appreciate any thoughts.

From what I understand, yes, it would help. But I believe you can't rule wise. There is a "minimum" dimension for the quarters.

Somewhat related, there was a separate thread a while back about Thronton, Jr. having a gap between his driver's door and LR quarter. I'm pretty sure the Crate car Austin Dillon won in the other night had a gap where the door and quarter meet, as well.

If I remember correctly, Richards showed up at Screven with a very short lr quarter panel. It was said he was 3 tenths faster than anyone so Woo passed a quick rule for it to be a minimum size!

Thanks for the replies. The reason I am pondering is that we have a regional series around here that has some pretty lax rules and is racing at Belleville in June. Probability faster than Bristol. Was there a few years back when 360 sprints were averaging 140-145. No minimum dimension quarter panel rules to speak of...only maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by smartguy13 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The reason I am pondering is that we have a regional series around here that has some pretty lax rules and is racing at Belleville in June. Probability faster than Bristol. Was there a few years back when 360 sprints were averaging 140-145. No minimum dimension quarter panel rules to speak of...only maximum.
    I had a severely tapered LR quarter panel on at Belleville, Someone complained and called corporate NE Smith head quarters and they called the track and told us we couldn't run it at the scales after we won the heat race. I asked where in the rules says a minimum length? Still not in the rules to this day.

I had another standard quarter panel read to go just in case, lol

It's also been a really log time since they race open LM's at Belleville, but back in the day we could run 16.30 to 16.60 which depending on actual size you go of off on track size. If 5/8 mile then that's like 139 MPH average but think it's actually more like 9/16 mile

Thanks billet. We’ve raced at Belleville several times in the last 8 years. First 4-5 times as open motors with NCRA. I think we were averaging 130ish by feature time 8 years ago. The last time we went was Nesmith crates and it sucked lol. I think we only ran a 6 lap heat and 12 lap feature. And only 4 or 5 mods showed up because very few around here have motors that will survive. Sooner late model series which is a mixed motor series is going there in June. We’re really looking forward to it.

Ya, We will be there just not sure what engine package we gonna run. They are supposed to have a bonus for the top crate but not sure we gonna run the crate package. Last time we won by about 1/2 a track (IIRC), just not sure how many open motor cars will come.

Awesome! Looks like there may be two of us without a left rear quarter panel then lol. We’ll definitely have an open motor. Steel block though.

What car do you run? Were you at Enid last year?

What car do you run? Were you at Enid last year?
    Rocket, Been to Enid several times just didn't go last year though

Sorry meant say what car number? Did you use to run a trakstar a few years back? I remember watching a guy half-lap the field in a crate a few years back at Belleville and the car was yellow #92?

Sorry meant say what car number? Did you use to run a trakstar a few years back? I remember watching a guy half-lap the field in a crate a few years back at Belleville and the car was yellow #92?
    That was Delbert Smith.

7D Dusty Leonard the driver/owner