Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brownstown Proves There is a Problem.......

....with droop/hike, whatever you want to call it. Just one more reason why they need to get these cars back down on the ground and reign in bodies to prevent so much roll and keep the COG lower.
    Doing that would have a lot of positive affects on the cars and wouldn't cost hardly anything to implement or enforce.

1. It would make the cars safer to race all the way around.
    A. It would help prevent rollovers from cars getting under each other with their noses.
    B. It would reduce the likelihood of a rollover from too much grip or from hitting a hole at high
    speed. (Just like what was happening at Brownstown)
    2. It would take away downforce which would accomplish several things.
    A. It would make the cars more raceable.
    B. It would take away traction from downforce which would in-turn limit the benefits of having
    $50k, 900hp engines, and would allow some smaller budget teams to be more competitive.
    C. These effects combined would cut down on the force, wear and tear on parts and make per
    lap costs drop.

This isn't speculation, it's fact. And the reason I know this would work is that it's exactly what we had in the early to late 90's and early 2000's when you still saw SPEC engines being used and being competitive and when you still had healthy weekly car counts at tracks all across the country. Now, I can only think of one track within several hours of me that even runs Supers on a weekly basis. And somebody tell me why exactly we shouldn't be pushing for this? What are we helping or accomplishing in DLM racing today by having these cars so jacked up and outta shape? Getting the bodies back to at least somewhat straight would not make them look bad, in fact I think it would help the appearance of the cars. Getting the right front back under the fender wouldn't hurt a thing. Lowering the right front of the nose wouldn't hurt one thing. So why, why, why do they keep letting this go. At what point does anybody finally wise up and realize that this is not a sustainable path for late model racing?

Or make all the tracks like East Bay 😜

That seems to be their answer. But I totally agree with hardracer32..
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

I also agree with thread starter.

Agreed 10000%

Monoleaf rear suspension
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Put em on twin tube carrera’s and one spring per corner and no bumps allowed, don’t allow things like regressive blow off valves and all the other trickery in shocks.

DLM racing is in the same position nascar was in back in the mid 2000’s with the twisted sister cars and turning 10,000 RPM and changing motors after practice and qual.

Mandate some of the trickery from the chassis companies and problem solved. Unless you want more innovation, which is what gets you exactly what you have now. But more rules makes more innovation. It’s a 2 edged sword.

The Mullins engine is a step in the right direction, but the cars need to be toned down. While I get they are super late models, what good is it if there are only 50 people in the entire country that can spend what it takes to win? Its also wearing out tracks quicker because there is just too much traction.

I'm all for controlling costs and getting away from these goofy looking boomerang bodies but maybe not racing on a track after a week of wet weather might have helped too. Even if the problem of cars flipping is removed from the equation, a track that rough was still going to tear up a lot of stuff.
    Florence the week prior was the same deal.
    Maybe they're trying to start a month too early.

Quote Originally Posted by hardracer32 View Post
    ....with droop/hike, whatever you want to call it. Just one more reason why they need to get these cars back down on the ground and reign in bodies to prevent so much roll and keep the COG lower.
    Doing that would have a lot of positive affects on the cars and wouldn't cost hardly anything to implement or enforce.

1. It would make the cars safer to race all the way around.
    A. It would help prevent rollovers from cars getting under each other with their noses.
    B. It would reduce the likelihood of a rollover from too much grip or from hitting a hole at high
    speed. (Just like what was happening at Brownstown)
    2. It would take away downforce which would accomplish several things.
    A. It would make the cars more raceable.
    B. It would take away traction from downforce which would in-turn limit the benefits of having
    $50k, 900hp engines, and would allow some smaller budget teams to be more competitive.
    C. These effects combined would cut down on the force, wear and tear on parts and make per
    lap costs drop.

This isn't speculation, it's fact. And the reason I know this would work is that it's exactly what we had in the early to late 90's and early 2000's when you still saw SPEC engines being used and being competitive and when you still had healthy weekly car counts at tracks all across the country. Now, I can only think of one track within several hours of me that even runs Supers on a weekly basis. And somebody tell me why exactly we shouldn't be pushing for this? What are we helping or accomplishing in DLM racing today by having these cars so jacked up and outta shape? Getting the bodies back to at least somewhat straight would not make them look bad, in fact I think it would help the appearance of the cars. Getting the right front back under the fender wouldn't hurt a thing. Lowering the right front of the nose wouldn't hurt one thing. So why, why, why do they keep letting this go. At what point does anybody finally wise up and realize that this is not a sustainable path for late model racing?
    Good luck! The powers to be in places like Shinnston WV, Coopersvill MI have way too much say to have this all make sense. Not to mention all the rule book enforcers that have slowly over time allowed these cars to get to what we see today. Remember this all most likely started with one racer showing up with their RF nose a few inches higher and they allowed it then they all did it then another guy showed up another inch higher ect. Nobody ever gets put back the hauler...EVER!

Why does the Race Track get a free out? Work on it !!

You want to make all the big money holding these big events, great, put out the effort to provide a good race track. You cant offer that cancel the race.

All the flips i have seen the tracks are garbage.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 03-23-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Why does the Race Track get a free out? Work on it !!You want to big all the big money holding these big events, great, put out the effort to provide a good race track. You cant offer that cancel the race.All the flips i have seen the tracks are garbage.
    Now that I definitely agree with

King1,

Tech would take hours for 30 cars.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Nice post hardracer 32. And Kromulous.

Clearly you make great points about the the bodies, costs and safety. These late models are leaning over so far on the right rear that flips are bound to happen. Body styles are ridiculous.

Amen to the track prep. Maybe it is too early after watching Florence and Brownstown the past two weekends. My beef with Btown is the lighting. It's the darkest track I go to all year. I never see any improvements to their lighting. Saturday night they finally turned on the front stretch lights over the grandstand when it was dusk. And then it took time for them to warm up. $32 admission ought to leave some $$$ for fairboard capital improvements.

I'm not saying that tracks get a free pass on proper pret, etc. I'm just addressing the car issue. Good track prep is definitely key, but our industry should have pulled these bodies back a long time ago. Ya'll may think I'm crazy but I actually emailed LOL and WOW about this BS. I practically begged them to take a look at the situation and come together and do something. Maybe if we could get a bunch of folks including fans and drivers to start filling up their inboxes with messages they might start to listen.....maybe. I doubt it, but I tried it anyway. I'm a nobody so I'm pretty sure that email just got deleted without a second thought.

heres the probb some places some night some tracks the mods and stock cars are sooooo soft in the rf that the right front corner of the frame gouges big holes out..........one other thing what holiday inn did the guy that ran the dozer stay at the night before?i

rule changes needed no bump stops,no stack springs,no proggressive spings no coil over covers, standard coil over springs lets eliminate all the secret magic and make it easier and alot simpler for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by crownman25 View Post
    rule changes needed no bump stops,no stack springs,no proggressive spings no coil over covers, standard coil over springs lets eliminate all the secret magic and make it easier and alot simpler for everyone!
    Go carts are simple
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Just making the bodies straight, flat, and symmetrical would work wonders, but I’m not holding my breath that they’ll ever do that.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Seems to me like we are waiting for a modern day Bob Memmer to fix this, because I don't see anything changing without a person like that entering the equation.