Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Does the track adjust to the car or the car to the track?

That, is the question of the day...

The race cars back around 1980 were pretty good spec wise. The lexan was not that expensive either actually.

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerWon View Post
    Does the track adjust to the car or the car to the track?

That, is the question of the day...
    No doubt! I can’t believe all the b!tching about the track. I’ve seen a lot worse tracks than Brownstown was Saturday. I thought the idea behind racing was the guy with the best set up and biggest nut sack won the race. If you think you might flip then change your set up or lift. I’m pissed because they didn’t continue on cause the feature was going to be great.
    Why are the drivers who flipped getting a pass on this? Slow down if you can’t handle the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    King1,

Tech would take hours for 30 cars.
    Then allot more time for tech inspection and start early in the morning. You can’t stop guys from getting smarter, so you have to paint them into a box. If the box is tech inspection then so be it.

The bodies wouldn’t take very long and checking for one spring per corner wouldn’t be a big deal. However enforcing the shock deal would be difficult unless you mandated that the series provide the shocks or simply make them run twin tubes.

I just don’t know how you cut costs without making more rules and being tougher in tech inspection. Again you can’t trust a racer on a handshake, and you can’t keep them from learning new things and getting smarter.

But fixing the bodies would certainly stop a lot of what is going on right now

Checking for excessive droop, an 8” spoiler, deck height, split birdcages and the correct tire for the event isn’t tech inspection, it’s checking a box and checking boxes and going through the motions isnt doing the sport any favors.

Whether you like it or not, it’s headed in this direction and if they continue to let it go down this path then the bodies will be flatter, more sideways, shock technology will continue to evolve into more expensive technology, we’ll be running 8 springs on each corner, everyone will need an EMA dyno, and before you know it, nobody will waste their time running a national touring series because Mark Richards and everyone will continue to spoon feed you information with every 50k you spent. Only catch is that you’ll never obtain the names of the resources they work with to build speed.

King1,

That's why I was serious about monoleaf. Then who cares what is in the shock? You can't get much hike from a shackle and eye. It's gotta be easy to enforce rules that would have a huge impact. Fancy shocks don't cause rollovers anyway. The rr being at the center of gravity, and high dynamic CG does.

It's easier to have rules that make technology useless, than to find where you made them hide it. We don't have time to dyno and disassemble shocks. I agree the bodies are stupid. I been saying that for years.

I mean Steve Francis couldn't even find 3 bars on the lr of the 28 Kryptonite car last night.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 03-22-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I said during the Brownstown race that the cars are half rolled over anyway, they just need a little nudge in the right direction to go the rest of the way. If tracks were never smooth to begin with DLM's wouldn't have got where they are today. Richard Petty said something along the lines of dirt track racing used to be about getting through ruts and holes, now it's pretty much like asphalt.

At least they were straight!

Like one driver told me, the cats outa the bag now!

Whatever rule they pass, we'll spend whatever it takes to get it back!

Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

the cars today are built for dry track racing brownstown track was wet in turns 1 & 4 the best thing the track could do is put in some drainage system in the turns were the water lays.

sooo painting people in a corner with rules ? lets just go back to a open tire rule the days of 70 mounted tires and wheels, you get the picture?how do you guys know if the 3 or 18 didnt break a rf shock end off when it hit on the bump?

also there is a big big probb with the lower class rf frame gouging holes in the track.

could you imagine what the track would be like if the super cars never raised the rf frame rail up?

They announced during the night that they were going to get grant for 200 thousand an total renovation of the grandstands they night think about spending some money on the track the track was rough from the beginning I have been there many times never seen it when they couldn't race on it I have been there when it came a flood at 5 o'clock an they still raced.

Maybe extra soft left rear springs aren't a smart choice on a track like that.

Teams are 100% allowed to reduce LR drop and run stiffer LR spring rates. Yet when enough teams don't listen to the track conditions and flip, the series postpones the event until conditions are more favorable to standard racecar setups..

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    They announced during the night that they were going to get grant for 200 thousand an total renovation of the grandstands they night think about spending some money on the track the track was rough from the beginning I have been there many times never seen it when they couldn't race on it I have been there when it came a flood at 5 o'clock an they still raced.
    Many of the seat boards do need to be replaced.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

If limited droop fixes all the problems why hasn't the Ray Cook series taken over?

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    If limited droop fixes all the problems why hasn't the Ray Cook series taken over?
    Ray limits droop just enough to make you mad. It does nothing to really alter the dynamics of the car, from the standpoint of rollover prevention.

The location of the rr tire, with respect to the rf, is a big problem too.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 03-24-2021 at 06:22 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Another point, if a Driver wants to go out there on a track that is rough and soft, all pinned down on bump stops, so be it. Dont come back whining when you rolled it, flipped it or whatever. There has to be a point where personal responsibility / liability takes over. We dont live in a padded / fur lined World, so stop trying to make it that way.

Same with Tracks, and my post before about them. You want to make the big bucks, put in the work, or dont have the race, and stop handing out excuses galore after all the bad press comes out about your race. Every time there is a corn cob of a track to have to race on, and people complain, you see some excuse about rain, tractor broke, fell and broke my a$$ or whatever, im tired of hearing it.

Basically, its a BIG BOY world, you want to do stupid things, you can win stupid prizes...

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Another point, if a Driver wants to go out there on a track that is rough and soft, all pinned down on bump stops, so be it. Dont come back whining when you rolled it, flipped it or whatever. There has to be a point where personal responsibility / liability takes over. We dont live in a padded / fur lined World, so stop trying to make it that way.

Same with Tracks, and my post before about them. You want to make the big bucks, put in the work, or dont have the race, and stop handing out excuses galore after all the bad press comes out about your race. Every time there is a corn cob of a track to have to race on, and people complain, you see some excuse about rain, tractor broke, fell and broke my a$$ or whatever, im tired of hearing it.

Basically, its a BIG BOY world, you want to do stupid things, you can win stupid prizes...
    There's a whole lot of truth to what you say as well. The teams have call the adjustments in the world. Use them.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1