Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The sacrifices ole Jimmy expected from us was to pay 16% interest rates, boy do I remember those. As a manager of the economy he was a disaster.
    I hate time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by kazual View Post
    The sacrifices ole Jimmy expected from us was to pay 16% interest rates, boy do I remember those. As a manager of the economy he was a disaster.
    Kaz, some of the older farmers in our area that I come into contact with have spoken of those incredible interest rates and that must have been brutal to buy a home or major piece of equipment. They told me there were guys that bought farmland for $4,500.00 per acre or more, which was big money for land at that time, and paying 14.5% to 15%, depending on how much down they could come up with. About 1/2 of them that took the plunge ended up having to sell the ground after just 4 or 5 years into the mortgage term. They just couldn't make it work.

Our first home mortgage was way after the Carter administration nightmare. It was 10.25% and I didn't think we'd ever get our home paid for. I put as much down as I could scrape up and that's the only thing that allowed us to make a go of it. We re-fi'd twice. First time we re-fi'd we bought our IR down to 8.5% and the 2nd, and last time, we bought it down to 7.15%. Compared to the past 15 years those numbers are alarming.

Also about that time I was making some very large capital outlays for land, equipment, shop construction and tool outfitting and I was paying 8% to 9.5% and I thought THAT was killing me. I can't IMAGINE 16% to 18%!! YOWZA!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-12-2021 at 08:43 AM.

CIRF, that is the first I remember running across ARM’s, adjustable rate mortgages. We bought a home during that time and nervously we took an ARM that had a much better locked rate for 5 years but could adjust after that. We were one of the lucky ones, we sold and repurchased before the 5 year term, many weren’t so lucky. I recall farmers in particular being hit really hard with land and equipment purchases.
    I hate time trials.

Yeah, if you were one of the few lucky ones who actually had money in the bank, then Jimmah was your guy. Passbook savings accounts were making pretty good interest rates, not to mention other tame investment vehicles. But for new homeowners and those trying to borrow, oh holy cow.

The thing I find bad about this new administration is how everything has to be a complete and total reset for them. I wonder how other nations view this bi-polar way of thinking we seem to have. A nation like China plays the long game. They are a communist dictatorship and their view of the future goes well beyond four years or even eight years, they think in terms of decades. Some other world powers and emerging powers are like that too. But we have to scrub the predecessor from all things, change all the names on things, and scrap many of the things that actually were working well, just because.

Why should certain nations come to the table and deal with us when they expect a new "reset" in yet another few years? Why should they honor agreements? Trump got NATO members to pony up a larger share to their own security - that was a good thing. The Abraham Accords were the first significant steps in Middle East peace between Israel and Arab nations in the last five presidencies - that was a good thing. Zhoe is backing away from that one. Operation Warp Speed set the groundwork for the vaccinations people are getting today. The Trump Admin actually ordered 800 million doses of vaccine. Zhoe actually got his shot in mid December but to hear him say it, nothing existed before early January. We were keeping Iran in check, now were back to trying to resurrect the JCPOA. We were dealing stronger with China but now, who knows?

Our nation does have an institutional legacy which should transition from presidency to presidency regardless of administration or party. Certain values of foreign policy - like furthering human rights , protecting free world trade - transcend petty bickering. It just seems like this new "uniter and healer" just can't help himself when it comes to the petty stuff. Trump had his petty tweets too and I didn't care for that, but this guy is worse and he has all the favorable coverage to do it with. He has always been a liar, a windsock, a flip flopper, and plagiarizer. Today we hear about wishes to change the Supreme Court (surprise!) but back in his senate days he claimed such a thing would be - a bonehead move. Look at is history of positions and votes in the past and what he does and says today and you can not deny this is a senile Trojan Horse doing and saying anything to placate the radical progressive base. Moderate centrist my @ss.

Ask yourself this. Would things be any different right now if Sanders or Warren would have won this? If AOC (God forbid!) was old enough to run, and actually won, would it look any different than it does right now?
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Can't be any clearer than that!

It's always interesting how strong of a recency bias people have when it comes to their presidents. To think the likes of Carter, Biden, Obama or Trump are either the best or worst presidents is insulting to the truly useless presidents in US History. While I would personally put Trump in bottom 25% of presidents (poor response during an emergency, poor international policy damaging the US's position with its trade partners compared to China), even he doesn't compare to the mediocrity of Warren G Harding or Andrew Johnson. To think any of these presidents compare to FDR, Lincoln or even Truman is also laughable.

I like ole Jimmy Carter, he was a Christian man who tried, I know better now. It is said that if you email him, he would return your email within 3 months. Well, I'm still waiting. Remember when Obama changed his mind and endorsed the Homosexual agenda pushed by Joe, well, ole Jimmy put his foot in the ring. Jimmy also stated, "If two men love each other, they should be able to marry". So I emailed him in disapproval and heard nothing. The dude is just following the Dem platform, he sold out to Satan also.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
    I like ole Jimmy Carter, he was a Christian man who tried, I know better now. It is said that if you email him, he would return your email within 3 months. Well, I'm still waiting. Remember when Obama changed his mind and endorsed the Homosexual agenda pushed by Joe, well, ole Jimmy put his foot in the ring. Jimmy also stated, "If two men love each other, they should be able to marry". So I emailed him in disapproval and heard nothing. The dude is just following the Dem platform, he sold out to Satan also.
    Marriage is not unique or exclusive to one religion. If Jimmy came to realize that then he simply grew as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    Weak case.
    Not really.........without looking, name 1 piece of memorable legislation or something positive he is responsible for.

Again, without looking.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs153 View Post
    Why should certain nations come to the table and deal with us when they expect a new "reset" in yet another few years? Why should they honor agreements? Trump got NATO members to pony up a larger share to their own security - that was a good thing. The Abraham Accords were the first significant steps in Middle East peace between Israel and Arab nations in the last five presidencies - that was a good thing. Zhoe is backing away from that one. Operation Warp Speed set the groundwork for the vaccinations people are getting today. The Trump Admin actually ordered 800 million doses of vaccine. Zhoe actually got his shot in mid December but to hear him say it, nothing existed before early January. We were keeping Iran in check, now were back to trying to resurrect the JCPOA. We were dealing stronger with China but now, who knows?
    1. A large amount of the US's allies have similar election cycles. Japan recently switched Prime Ministers after Abe's 8 year term. France, Turkey and several other European governments hold presidents/PM's to a total of 10 years (Two 5-Year terms). While other nations have no term limits (UK in particular), many of them still shift through leadership in similar spans of time. 2. While more NATO members are indeed meeting their agreed upon obligations, the US Defense budget continued to rise by larger and larger amount every year of Trump's presidency. It's great that NATO nations are putting more into their own defense, but it hardly affected our military spending or troop deployments (1,000 moved to Poland instead of Germany is still 1000 troops in Europe)3. I do actually agree that Warp Speed isn't given enough credit for kickstarting vaccine research, but the poor coordination in terms of distribution and Trump's own behavior regarding the pandemic was a large problem as well.4. Iran was a huge issue during the Trump presidency, it was literally early 2020 when everybody was joking about WW3 because of US relations with Iran disintegrating.5. Trump was somewhat tougher on China, but his policies included the US leaving Pacific-region trade deals. These actions gave China all the power when negotiating new deals with other nations in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris125 View Post
    It's always interesting how strong of a recency bias people have when it comes to their presidents. To think the likes of Carter, Biden, Obama or Trump are either the best or worst presidents is insulting to the truly useless presidents in US History. While I would personally put Trump in bottom 25% of presidents (poor response during an emergency, poor international policy damaging the US's position with its trade partners compared to China), even he doesn't compare to the mediocrity of Warren G Harding or Andrew Johnson. To think any of these presidents compare to FDR, Lincoln or even Truman is also laughable.
    Are you a purveyor of propaganda??? Yes you are !!!
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Not really.........without looking, name 1 piece of memorable legislation or something positive he is responsible for.

Again, without looking.
    That's what I thought jr29......thanks for playing.

Marriage is not unique or exclusive to one religion. If Jimmy came to realize that then he simply grew as a person.
    The only thing that grew in that incompetent oaf is his radicalization of thought into a full blown Communist. {In the closet variety}
    Grew as a person???? Oh my, don't make me laugh. He was nothing more than a shame to the concept of a patriotic freedom loving American. Loyal to the country and people, he was not!!

He does keep his forehead horns pruned well by the same bone surgeon as Schumer and Pelosi use!!!
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 04-13-2021 at 03:40 PM.

all you people if you really did vote for him really f*cked up.......

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    The only thing that grew in that incompetent oaf is his radicalization of thought into a full blown Communist. {In the closet variety}Grew as a person???? Oh my, don't make me laugh. He was nothing more than a shame to the concept of a patriotic freedom loving American. Loyal to the country and people, he was not!!He does keep his forehead horns pruned well by the same bone surgeon as Schumer and Pelosi!!!
    If you're pro-freedom you should be in favor of allowing gay marriage. How can you claim to support freedom but then take away someone else's rights that are already available to straight people

Mccarter has a new screen name........

If you're pro-freedom you should be in favor of allowing gay marriage. How can you claim to support freedom but then take away someone else's rights that are already available to straight people
    Sir, I am not going to compromise the readings of the Bible. I'll stand for my beliefs, will you, in the end??

Do criminals have the same rights as your so called straight people?

Everyone is free to do as they please, just do it, a marraige license is not required for that. I believe that a real marraige license is for a man and a woman.

For those that do not, what right do they have to change the laws just to justify their actions?
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 04-13-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Mccarter has a new screen name........
    thats exactly what I was thinking BBQ , if not , its got to be his gay sister....lol...

Cherry blossom future bride maybe?

The son of a bitch gave away the Panama Canal. He cannot be forgiven for that sh!t show!