Default Heat Race Lineups For The Cup Cars On The Bristol Dirt

Several dirt open wheel drivers are sprinkled throughout the 4 heat races. Kyle Larson, Shane Golobic and Ryan Newman all in the 1st heat. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and C Bell are in the 2nd heat. JJ Yeley in the 3rd and Chris Windom and Chase Briscoe in the 4th.

Really like the passing points format they're using.

https://speedsport.com/nascar/nascar...ity-dirt-race/

Like it, qualifying sucks 🙂
    I hate time trials.

CIRF are you watching it?

Watching practice yesterday, the dust was pretty intense. How long does everyone think it will take to run the 250 lap feature?

Wouldn’t surprise me to see them shorten the race. First time around, they can be forgiven some gaffs but hope they’ve anticipated some of this, not convinced.
    I hate time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by kazual View Post
    Like it, qualifying sucks 
    Kaz, I agree in regards to NASCAR qualifying. But there are a few classes of racecars where single car qualifying is quite entertaining. One would be the USAC Silver Crown division and another would be wingless 410 sprint cars. In fact just Silver Crown hot laps alone on a 1 mile dirt track are worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    CIRF are you watching it?
    I DVR'd it, Kid. Had to work late. Will watch it Saturday before the truck race.

Kyle Larson, one of the favorites to win the first Cup race on a dirt track since 1970, is going to have his work cut out for him. He'll be forced to start both his heat race and the A main from the rear of the field due to an engine change. To no ones surprise Larson was one of the fastest cars during practice but the engine temp. spiked at some point and the crew decided to swap out the power plant.

Really hope the people who are in charge of trap prep can figure out how to keep the dust at tolerable levels. The video I've seen it looked borderline unsafe.

The dust is borderline unsafe for sure but what can they do? They can't have a tacky track because these cars have windshields which would be covered with mud. I guess they could take the windshields off and put tear offs on their helmets. And the tire wear is much worse than they were counting on. It is going to be interesting for sure.

Looks like they need the Track Enterprises guys that prep Springfield and Du Quoin for the ARCA cars with windshields. There is very rarely any dust at either of those places and Springfield is a day show.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Kaz, I agree in regards to NASCAR qualifying. But there are a few classes of racecars where single car qualifying is quite entertaining. One would be the USAC Silver Crown division and another would be wingless 410 sprint cars. In fact just Silver Crown hot laps alone on a 1 mile dirt track are worth the price of admission.

I DVR'd it, Kid. Had to work late. Will watch it Saturday before the truck race.
    I agree the track prep guy needs to give Bob a call

Trucks made what, one lap before they had to stop because they couldn't see.

I agree the track prep guy needs to give Bob a call
    Maybe they can fly Sarge down to Bristol in time to get the track in shape for the Sunday racing.

The ARCA cars at Springfield and Du Quoin have always raced with windshields. I only remember one year back in the early 2000's when multiple cars were having a lot of trouble with plugged radiators at Springfield. They also let them run a deflector panel on the hood to route air across the windshield in such a way as to help keep the windshields clean and everyone used the drivers side windshield wiper during the race.

Sarge has been running the Cup style ARCA cars on the dirt miles for over 25 years with little to no complications. I wonder if anyone from NASCAR even bothered to contact someone from ARCA or Sarge to get some tips on how to run this dirt deal at Bristol. Looks like they shoulda'!

Maybe they can fly Sarge down to Bristol in time to get the track in shape for the Sunday racing.

The ARCA cars at Springfield and Du Quoin have always raced with windshields. I only remember one year back in the early 2000's when multiple cars were having a lot of trouble with plugged radiators at Springfield. They also let them run a deflector panel on the hood to route air across the windshield in such a way as to help keep the windshields clean and everyone used the drivers side windshield wiper during the race.

Sarge has been running the Cup style ARCA cars on the dirt miles for over 25 years with little to no complications. I wonder if anyone from NASCAR even bothered to contact someone from ARCA or Sarge to get some tips on how to run this dirt deal at Bristol. Looks like they shoulda'!
    Bob has it down that's for sure. Does he get it every time No but, pretty darn close to it. I would have thought they would have contacted Bob and get some advice. I would be curious if that happened.

Bob has it down that's for sure. Does he get it every time No but, pretty darn close to it. I would have thought they would have contacted Bob and get some advice. I would be curious if that happened.
    Curious ? About the track or how much TP you have !

NASCAR has a bit of a Fubar going on. I’m one that said give em a pass for a first time effort, but some of these things aren’t that hard to perceive and consider solutions in advance. Unless you’re NASCAR of course and think you know it all.
    I hate time trials.

Kaz, the promoter Kidrock & I are talking about has been promoting and prepping dirt tracks for the ARCA series for over 2 decades. ARCA cars are very similar to Cup cars and the nuances of racing them on dirt are very likely kindred. One of those dirt track ARCA shows is a day show in August! I've been attending that race since I was 11 years old and I've never seen a dust problem like what we're seeing at Bristol. If I was calling the shots for NASCAR I'd have the guy I speak of on a flight from Bloomington, Illinois into Tri-Cities Airport ASAP! But, of course I'm not calling the shots so good luck to NASCAR regarding one of the most anticipated events they've conceived in decades.

Kaz, the promoter Kidrock & I are talking about has been promoting and prepping dirt tracks for the ARCA series for over 2 decades. ARCA cars are very similar to Cup cars and the nuances of racing them on dirt are very likely kindred. One of those dirt track ARCA shows is a day show in August! I've been attending that race since I was 11 years old and I've never seen a dust problem like what we're seeing at Bristol. If I was calling the shots for NASCAR I'd have the guy I speak of on a flight from Bloomington, Illinois into Tri-Cities Airport ASAP! But, of course I'm not calling the shots so good luck to NASCAR regarding one of the most anticipated events they've conceived in decades.
    Yes I would have put him on a red eye and to get him there a.s.a.p. Good Call CIRF